• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nas Alameda pic

exhelodrvr

pilot
I attached a picture of NAS Alemeda from a HH-65 flight I was in; April, 2009. Despite being closed for quite a long time now, they have not made much progress on what to do with the land yet.

When I was there there were problems with contamination in the land bordering NAS; I imagine it's quite a bit worse on the air station itself.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Buena Vista's Irish Coffee
ROGER THAT !!

Some say: see Rome & die ...

I say: when in SF ... see/do many, many, many Irish Coffee's @ Buena Vista and die ... at least you'll wish you were DEAD while tryin' to climb back up Hyde Street w/ coffee, Irish whiskey, and whipped cream ooooozing from every pore in your body ... :D

bv_night.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Even the hippies aren't the worst part...I would call the worst part the militant liberal left....
Oakland Mayor and US Rep"Red" Ron Dellums (D-CA), former USMC ... was at the helm when many/most of the military shut-downs in the SFO area began and subsequently took place ... and then, after soooooooo many years of spouting hysterical left-wing propaganda against 'the MAN', 'Red Ron' had to explain to his blue-collar constituency why so many of their good paying, civie-servant & military related jobs went ... 'poof' ... :)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Buena Vista

ROGER THAT !!

Some say: see Rome & die ...

I say: when in SF ... see/do many, many, many Irish Coffee's @ Buena Vista and die ... at least you'll wish you were DEAD while tryin' to climb back up Hyde Street w/ coffee, Irish whiskey, and whipped cream ooooozing from every pore in your body ... :D

bv_night.jpg

Amen, Amen I say to you re: Buena Vista. While on the MIDWAY in '71, my boss & I spent 2 wonderful hours in the Buena Vista with CDR Lloyd Bucher & his lovely wife Rose after his speech at the SF Press Club. Over 'several' ICs, he related his ordeal from start to finish. He really got a bad rap.:confused:

Buena Vista was also great on Sundays after a 49er game. Many of the team would pop in to unwind after a game and were great about sharing time & table with us fans discussing the game & whatever. Man some of those guys were HUGE!:eek:

BTW A4s, your photo gallery must be immense! You have a good photo for EVERYTHING! BZ.:icon_mi_6
BzB

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
On a side note ... one thing IS 'surviving' and hopefully, thriving @ the former NAS ALAMEDA -- vodka. The ol' bar crowd would be proud .. :D

Hangar One Vodka ... if you try it, I suspect you'll like it. They have several offerings, but I prefer their 'straight' variety, for a multitude of reasons ... :)

hangar1u.jpg
base.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Here's an interesting article from [FONT=Tahoma,Verdana,Trebuchet MS,Trebuchet,Geneva,Helvetica,Arial,sans][SIZE=-1]The San Francisco News dated April 17, 1942 .... it goes into some of the details of the Navy's 'acquisition' of Treasure Island and the city's resistance to the idea. As always, it seems to come down to $$$$ when all is said & done:

[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma,Verdana,Trebuchet MS,Trebuchet,Geneva,Helvetica,Arial,sans][SIZE=+0]Treasure Isle Goes to Navy[/SIZE][/FONT]

clipper.gif

Pan American Clipper @ Treasure Isle (sic) in 1940 ... the site (originally created from dredging areas of the Bay) was intended to become the spot for the San Francisco International Airport ... but things like the J's attacking us @ Pearl Harbor and WW2 and the 'needs of the Service' changed all of that ... forever. :)

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Here's an interesting article from [FONT=Tahoma,Verdana,Trebuchet MS,Trebuchet,Geneva,Helvetica,Arial,sans][SIZE=-1]The San Francisco News dated April 17, 1942 .... it goes into some of the details of the Navy's 'acquisition' of Treasure Island and the city's resistance to the idea. As always, it seems to come down to $$$$ when all is said & done:

[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma,Verdana,Trebuchet MS,Trebuchet,Geneva,Helvetica,Arial,sans][SIZE=+0]Treasure Isle Goes to Navy[/SIZE][/FONT]

clipper.gif

Pan American Clipper @ Treasure Isle (sic) in 1940 ... the site (originally created from dredging areas of the Bay) was intended to become the spot for the San Francisco International Airport ... but things like the J's attacking us @ Pearl Harbor and WW2 and the 'needs of the Service' changed all of that ... forever. :)

In hindsight it's probably a good thing SFO didn't go on the island considering the traffic that crosses over the Bay Bridge and considering that a serious quake could cut the access to the airport off. That's an interesting fact I was unaware of though. Very cool.

Calculon

It's Calculon! Hit the deck!
Man, that must've been one cool time to have been able to be based in the Bay Area. It's still weird thinking about how that entire Navy presence there is gone now

CAMike

None
Contributor
Oh Calculon- The Navy is now gone but history will likely repeat itself. Someday something bad will occur and either TI or Alameda will amazingly come back to life - even if only on a smaller scale. I grew up since 1961 waking up to go to school, looking out our front room window in El Cerrito and always being amazed at all the beautiful shimmering lights of NAS Alameda, Oakland and SF peninsula. While I'm at it -it was more than once when an A-7, A-6 or EA-3 flew low over us while driving to dinner on the Bay Bridge towards SF.

I just have a feeling! The Bay Area is still awesome and contrary to popular political belief- These ports are only minutes from open ocean and that means so much more than the locals comprehend. Not many places in the US have that strategic advantage.

Buena Vista? I don't which is worse, the end of the sugar high from the Irish coffee or the hangover from what led up the visit to the Buena Vista. Great times!

Anyone else here love Spengers Restaurant in Berkeley? AWESOME FISH at an affordable price, or are the memories of the old school "Male Waiters Only" service staff just dating my existence?

exhelodrvr

pilot
Anyone else here love Spengers Restaurant in Berkeley? AWESOME FISH at an affordable price, or are the memories of the old school "Male Waiters Only" service staff just dating my existence?

Just went there in June after my son's commissioning. I agree; great restaurant.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... Buena Vista? I don't which is worse, the end of the sugar high from the Irish coffee or the hangover from what led up the visit to the Buena Vista. Great times!...
GREAT TIMES, indeed ..

ACTUALLY ... the 'worst' part of the evening was *wheeze*gasp*wheeze* chasin' Trophy Wife ®
(then Trophy Girl Friend ®) back up the Matterhorn-like ascent up Hyde street to THIS restaurante:

I Fratelli

It is arguably the best Italian food in SFO ... very inexpensive ... a great wine list ... it was a favorite of airline guys who 'knew the score' and it's a favorite of 'locals' ... it doesn't REALLY get 'going' until @ 2000 hours or so, as such you have plenty of time to load up on Irish Coffees @ Buena Vista ... I Fratelli will prepare/modify ANYTHING on the menu (w/in reason, of course) to your satisfaction ... it's a 'local' restaurant wherein most of the clientele knows each other and kiss & hug when you enter ... :D

However ... they only shook my hand ... :(

And ... chasin' Trophy Wife's (®)
backside up Hyde street ... she was/is a personal trainer ... she leaped up the irregular concrete sidewalk levels like a freakin' gazelle ... the view, however, was very, very .... *pant*wheeze*gasp*wheeze* .... NICE. :D

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
'Red Ron' had to explain to his blue-collar constituency why so many of their good paying, civie-servant & military related jobs went ... 'poof' ... :)

Pretty sure not too many people were crying over the "lost jobs" in the Bay area from the late 70's on. That's the same time Silicon Valley was heating up.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Oakland Mayor and US Rep"Red" Ron Dellums (D-CA), former USMC ... was at the helm when many/most of the military shut-downs in the SFO area began and subsequently took place ... and then, after soooooooo many years of spouting hysterical left-wing propaganda against 'the MAN', 'Red Ron' had to explain to his blue-collar constituency why so many of their good paying, civie-servant & military related jobs went ... 'poof' ... :)

While service to ones country does qualify you as a patriot for even having the potential for going in harm's way in the nation's name, I suspect we've all encountered in our long (and for many, shorter, but equally as qualifying) uniformed careers individuals we would unceremoniously label "douchebags." The uniform means you answered the call - it doesn't necessarily make you a good guy. Then again, I suppose I'm telling no one here anything they didn't already know. :)