• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Napoleon wants to be a Chief

KBayDog

An IA didn't even get him promoted. Nice.

The only thing more amusing than screwing with the SERGEANT MAJORS who make up their own uniform regulations is calling the 1st Classes who got selected "Petty Officer" instead of "Chief Select." It really gets under their skin, but I refuse to call them "Chief anything" until they are actually promoted.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I had some douchebag 'Captain Select' try to read me the riot act once out at Yuma when I was a 1stLt. Jackass wanted me to call him Sir, because he was a 'senior 1stLt and captain select'. I told him to STFU and proceeded to call him dude for the rest of WTI.

I have a story--can't remember if I've told it here before--of Ultimate Revenge by a 1stLt on the first SgtMaj at my Cherry Point squadron if you're interested.

KBayDog

I have a story--can't remember if I've told it here before--of Ultimate Revenge by a 1stLt on the first SgtMaj at my Cherry Point squadron if you're interested.

Come on, dude (or is it "Sir," since you're a civilian?). You should know me better than that by now!

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had some douchebag 'Captain Select' try to read me the riot act once out at Yuma when I was a 1stLt. Jackass wanted me to call him Sir, because he was a 'senior 1stLt and captain select'. I told him to STFU and proceeded to call him dude for the rest of WTI.

Capt Select, wow. Congrats, you can fog a mirror.

Sincerely,
LT (SEL) CommodoreMid

And yes, we're interested in said story.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
You may address me as, "Your Highness."

The first SgtMaj we had was an arty guy by trade, although he had since given that up to be a full time asshole. This man disliked all officers, and had a vicious hatred for Lieutenants. As the Legal Officer, I had been instructed by the CO to find him immediately once we received notification of an actual or suspected offense. So, the Smadge gets CC'd on every email I send regarding legal matters, and I had tried to dip into his office to let him know in person...for about a month. But even when he was there and not out playing fucking street hockey (this is important later), he'd usually slough me off with a, "Oh, I saw the damn email Lieutenant. I don't know if you know this, but I am a Sergeant MAJOR. We do this for a living. I don't need any handholding." So I started to ignore him and just go straight to the CO's office.

Things sort of came to a head one day, when I went to go brief the CO on a pretty super awesome fuckup by one of the squadron's rock stars. The Smadge saw me headed down the command hallway--sorry, PASSAGEWAY--and jumped through the XO's adjoining office in an attempt to cut me off. While I was briefing the CO, Smadge kept interjecting little factoids and asinine comments that I tried to ignore. Finally, I'd had enough when the conversation went like this:

Me: Sir, given [offender] past offenses, counseling record, I think ADSEP is probably the way to go on this one.
CO: Good job, I--
Smadge: I don't know if you know how this works, LIEUTENANT, but around here--
Me: Excuse me, SgtMaj? I'm fairly new to the squadron, but not the Marine Corps. And last time I checked, I outranked you. So if you don't have anything to actually contribute to the conversation, perhaps you should let me finish, before I charge you?
CO: (Basically hiding under desk) He's got a point SgtMaj...

Now, enter our Communications Officer, all 6'3", 225lb, varsity college hockey player, scouted by the NHL of him. Let's call him Steve.

The Smadge liked to play street hockey. Every day around 1000, he'd cruise the squadron spaces, bullying junior enlisted into going to the Cherry Point street hockey rink for 'PT'. Basically just beating the crap out of them. Can you see where this is going?

Steve, hanging out in my office, overhears the Smadge trying to get some Marines to go play hockey with him and grins like a pig in shit. He goes out into the hall and asks if he can go play. The Smadge throws some smack talk about Lts being bitches his way, and says that Steve can go play if he feels 'man enough' to do so.

I drove up just in time to see Steve, who busted out the rollerblades, make a few s-turns on the far side of the rink, building up speed. As I got out of my car, the huge bolt of Steve goes hurtling towards the Smadge, who's fighting over the puckballthing on the boards and whacking a Cpl in the head with his glove.

Know what the sound of a big ass dude pummeling an old guy into plywood and plexiglass sounds like?

Victory.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

The only thing more amusing than screwing with the SERGEANT MAJORS who make up their own uniform regulations is calling the 1st Classes who got selected "Petty Officer" instead of "Chief Select." It really gets under their skin, but I refuse to call them "Chief anything" until they are actually promoted.

It's a battle I try not to get in the middle of since I'm pretty reliant on my Chiefs and we all (myself and Chiefs) have our own nemesis to "fight," but I'm with you in spirit.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

Actually an IA had very little impact on who makes Chief and who doesn't. The Chief's Board is much like an Officer's Board in that folks are reviewing your records and comparing you to your peers.
Most of the folks who did an IA (on the Chief's Board I sat on) were "pack players" who were hoping to make Chief by taking the IA or got IA'd by their commands.

Those who got IA'd during a tour were generally not the Sailor of the Year candidates. (If your the CO and you have to send an E-6 away for a year. Are you going to send your best E-6 or the other guy?)

While some folks were actually helped doing an IA, it was looked at more like an extra qual that may have put them over the top. In other words, it was viewed more as a tie breaker rather than a silver bullet.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
It's a battle I try not to get in the middle of since I'm pretty reliant on my Chiefs and we all (myself and Chiefs) have our own nemesis to "fight," but I'm with you in spirit.

Not so much in the aviation world but in the SWO domain, the fun and games, Goat Locker vs that new Ens or JG, are mised by some. Maybe a few "draws" but did not lose any, that I remember. Guile champions every time.