• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAMI Whammy

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
I know this has been asked 13 billion times, but my situation is a little different. I have already been through the full flight physical (I applied for Flying CWO and you have to have NOMI approval before you can apply), will I have to go through the physical at OCS for SNA again? The reason I ask is because my eyesight is close to 20/40 and I would hate to be over that due to lack of sleep and get DQ'd, also that depth perception test with the dots was ridiculous and I guessed on a good chunk of them! If I bring my “qualified for Student Naval Aviator” letter from NOMI will that help?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Probably not a big deal, especially since nothing has happened yet. However, I have never truly understood the OCS v. SNA issues WRT timing of physicals.

What makes you think your vision might be over that line?

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
Probably not a big deal, especially since nothing has happened yet. However, I have never truly understood the OCS v. SNA issues WRT timing of physicals.

Probably not a big deal that that won't make me do it again or not a big deal that they will, but my eyesight will be fine? the reason I think I might have an issue with the eye sight is that I can tell my sight deteriorates throughout the day. It is probably because I am on a stupid computer all day for work and i get dry eyes from staring at a screen, but I'd hate to make it all the way there and have to re-designate because I am barely over the limit. I also had to get the PRK waiver (had it done by the Army), and the Army couldn't find all of my post-operative paperwork. It was kind of a hassle to get the waiver approved so I'd hate to go through that again except this time not being so lucky.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
What you do before the next eye test, especially 24-48 hours prior, could be critical. Hydrate, stay away from visible smoke, no long bouts of aerobic exercise, no alcohol...and stay away from the computer screen. Use eye moisturizing drops. Give your eyes a rest. These things can keep you under the limit.

Not a big deal in that your sight will likely be fine.

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot

What you do before the next eye test, especially 24-48 hours prior, could be critical. Hydrate, stay away from visible smoke, no long bouts of aerobic exercise, no alcohol...and stay away from the computer screen. Use eye moisturizing drops. Give your eyes a rest. These things can keep you under the limit.

Not a big deal in that your sight will likely be fine.
Always been a fan of your posts, Sir.

My experience at OCS was a great example of the OP's worry. I had a full flight physical with the Marine Corp @ Miramar prior to attending OCS, so I knew I was within limits (20/20, good depth perception, everything fine). Come OCS, it was the second/third? day in, we were all SUPER-hydrated, exhausted and just trying to stay awake. For many, falling asleep in the eye doctor's chair was an accident and not intentional. I was not an exception. Turns out that people's bodies react differently to this (I compared my experience to shipmates later) and I experienced a somewhat impressive reduction in my vision. Mind you, I could still see and fortunately I was within limits, but the tests revealed that I was 20/40 at the time and right on the limit for astigmatism without a waiver (whereas normally I am well within limits). Not only that, but my EKG read abnormal which would have put me in medical limbo for most of OCS (assuming they had done more tests and found nothing) if I hadn't had that normal EKG when I was at Miramar. The bottomline of all this is that OCS medical determined that I would have to wear glasses to fly. My attitude at the time was "so what, I still fly, no big deal." When I came down to Pensacola for my short form, I did the vision tests again and everything was back to normal. The different results between tests was enough to get the attention of one of the lead docs who spoke to me briefly and after being assured that everything was normal and I really didn't need glasses, he let me go on my way.

As I said, not everyone will have the same experience, but I can definitely see other people falling outside of limits. Supposedly, they can retest you later in OCS (during candio) when you are not as exhausted, but I honestly couldn't tell you if that was any better.

My 2 cents.

edit: hydration

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
Always been a fan of your posts, Sir.

My experience at OCS was a great example of the OP's worry. I had a full flight physical with the Marine Corp @ Miramar prior to attending OCS, so I knew I was within limits (20/20, good depth perception, everything fine). Come OCS, it was the second/third? day in, we were all SUPER-hydrated, exhausted and just trying to stay awake. For many, falling asleep in the eye doctor's chair was an accident and not intentional. I was not an exception. Turns out that people's bodies react differently to this (I compared my experience to shipmates later) and I experienced a somewhat impressive reduction in my vision. Mind you, I could still see and fortunately I was within limits, but the tests revealed that I was 20/40 at the time and right on the limit for astigmatism without a waiver (whereas normally I am well within limits). Not only that, but my EKG read abnormal which would have put me in medical limbo for most of OCS (assuming they had done more tests and found nothing) if I hadn't had that normal EKG when I was at Miramar. The bottomline of all this is that OCS medical determined that I would have to wear glasses to fly. My attitude at the time was "so what, I still fly, no big deal." When I came down to Pensacola for my short form, I did the vision tests again and everything was back to normal. The different results between tests was enough to get the attention of one of the lead docs who spoke to me briefly and after being assured that everything was normal and I really didn't need glasses, he let me go on my way.

As I said, not everyone will have the same experience, but I can definitely see other people falling outside of limits. Supposedly, they can retest you later in OCS (during candio) when you are not as exhausted, but I honestly couldn't tell you if that was any better.

My 2 cents.

edit: hydration

Thanks for the insight, it's good to know that I may be able to do a "bad day" make up on the SNA physical at OCS.