• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAMI MOTION SICKNESS QUESTION, NPQ?

jtmedli

pilot
Hey man, I was airsick numerous times in Primary. The programs there will help you get through it. I HIGHLY discourage anyone from taking that phenegran + dexedrine combo that they give you. That stuff turns you into a zombie and disables your vestibular which does NOT enable getting over the airsickness. Adaptation flights will be the biggest help followed by the spin chair and, lastly, medication. The docs and AMSO will help you through it. One of my friends got 10 adaption flights in primary and is now flying hornets for the Marine Corps.

Here are some personal tips from me:
1) Eat HEALTHY food before you go fly. I used to eat chicken and mashed potatoes w/saltines and ginger ale right before I'd walk and that shit turned my stomach into a rock. Couldn't have puked if I wanted to. DO NOT eat that greasy trash from anywhere on Whiting Field. Subway is probably ok, but I'd recommend something heavy like I mentioned above.
2) Hydrate with water or gatorade. Being hydrated is essential when flying. Especially if you puked on the flight before that because you're probably already dehydrated.
3) When you do go fly, stay on the controls and put some VERY sweet gum in your mouth and suck on it. Don't chew it. Stick it in your cheek and suck on it throughout the flight. That sweet flavor tricks your brain into believing that everything is good to go. I recommend 3 pieces of Yellow #5, but juicy fruit works pretty well also.
4) Lastly, always fly with heavy ziplock bags. Those things are money if you do have to puke. :D

Dont worry about the knee. Keep in mind, everyone's knees hurt at OCS. And dont worry about the airsickness yet. Deal with it when the time comes but focus on getting through API. If you can get some quality flight time in Pcola while going through API, that may help the psychological side of it and some of the adaptation side of it.

BENDER

pilot
Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the feedback. I was more concerned about putting that on paper and what the consequences/protocols are, but the advice is sound. Im going to stay positive and hope they give me a shot before they give me the whammy.