• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

N.Korea nuclear test

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Just broke on BBC...looks like its at least confirmed by South Korea and the USGS picked it up too.

Saber-rattling makes me nervous. Not gonna lie. I know that the North Koreans are something of a joke right now, but if anyone's gonna launch a nuke I bet it would be them.

Huggy Bear

pilot
While I don't see N. Korea itself as especially threatening, I do worry about the message our inaction sends to other groups and nations desiring nuclear weapons. We've shown repeatedly that there are not significant consequences for them giving us the big middle finger.

jtmedli

pilot
While I don't see N. Korea itself as especially threatening, I do worry about the message our inaction sends to other groups and nations desiring nuclear weapons. We've shown repeatedly that there are not significant consequences for them giving us the big middle finger.

My thoughts exactly...

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I've got mixed emotions. On one hand, I think a bunch of crazy fucktards like NK having nukes is a bad thing, and we should do all that we can to stop it...

Then reality sets in, nothing we do, short of boots on the ground, will deter these guys from seeking attention. And maybe, for once, someone ELSE should have to play World Police... We get nothing but shit from the world community, the Asian countries are all sick of us being there, and we would get no back-up from anyone but the standard allies (Australia, Canada, and maybe Britain)

I know the RIGHT answer is to not care and do the right thing. That we should be the "better man" in the fight. But this time, I say fuck it. Take all of our aid away from NK. Cut ties with them, tell China it's their problem now, pull our guys out of the DMZ in SK, take our ball and go home.

We would continue to work with Japan because they make a great FOB, and the sushi is pretty rockin', and SK can have all of the leftover weapons they want. But I think if NK didn't have the Americans to posture against, the Chinese wouldn't be propping them up to try and make us look bad; the military/police/industrial bottom would fall out of the state without Chicom support, and the resident asshat in charge would not be able to subdue his people. The problem would take care of itself.

Well, that rant is over...now I know what we will really do is go to the UN, whine about them, another "resolution" will get written, and nothing will happen. Yay...

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
We would continue to work with Japan because they make a great FOB, and the sushi is pretty rockin'

Screw that! We've been wondering whether these guys were gonna pull their own weight since 1955. Let them build their own nukes and get over it already!

As long as we are ranting...

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor

What DO we do? :(

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Screw that! We've been wondering whether these guys were gonna pull their own weight since 1955. Let them build their own nukes and get over it already!

As long as we are ranting...

Apparently you skipped the portion of history spanning 1941 to 1946? They never get to be an offensive power again. They have assured themselves of that...

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Apparently you skipped the portion of history spanning 1941 to 1946? They never get to be an offensive power again. They have assured themselves of that...

Nah, you've got to go AT LEAST back to the '30s or '20s for that argument.

They will re-arm. It's just a matter of time. I promise.

Huggy Bear

pilot
What DO we do? :(

Send in these guys:

teamamerica_1024.jpg

Bevo16

pilot
Well, I am sure that they will get a really stern talking to. What we need here is some REALLY strong rhetoric. I am sure that President Obama will go to the UN and get the same kind of strong response and support that he got when North Korea did their missile test a few weeks ago.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What will this test do for further development of THAAD or GBI or ??? Probably nothing, but at least it gives additional political clout to those in support of said systems.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Well, I am sure that they will get a really stern talking to. What we need here is some REALLY strong rhetoric. I am sure that President Obama will go to the UN and get the same kind of strong response and support that he got when North Korea did their missile test a few weeks ago.

To date, the response of the international community to whatever antics the NORKs decide to engage in has been that of the British bobby (cop):

"Stop, or I'll tell you to stop again!"

And we all see how well that's worked out for everyone... Having said that, with a regime that is as isolated as NK already is, there are only so many policy oars we can drop in the water.

As an aside, the statement of "equivalent to Hiroshima" appears to be significantly inflated; there's some useful analysis here that indicates the test was more like 2-6kt - not tiny, but also not a varsity-level device either. http://www.armscontrolwonk.com/