• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Naval Career Lasted 2 months before it ended

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do not, under any circumstances, simply shrug off the possibility of VA benefits because it was 'just' three months. Go talk to the DAV folks or the Military Order of the Purple Heart (MOPH), and ask them for guidance. They will help you out and do more than point you in the right direction.

Do this NOW!!! Do not delay. They will be your advocate and know the difference between medical discharge, medically retired and medically disabled, etc...

I used the DAV. They are your friends and on your side, the Big navy is not.

flyboy

Information Warfare Ensign
JSF...sorry about your luck. I went through the medical discharge process in the Army after a vehicle accident that messed my back up temporarily. I got 10 percent disability from the Army, and could have gotten 30% from the VA but I believed it would have permanently ended my chances of becoming a Naval Aviator. Definitely try and get a disability rating from the Navy (which shouldn't be an issue given your condition) and then file a disability claim through the VA. The monthly payments vary from $400 a month to thousands depending on your percentage rating. Anything over a 30% from the VA will give you medical benefits for the rest of your life, as well as a monthly check. I didn't pursue it fully because I didn't want it to hamper my efforts to fly, but you need to check it out. The military and VA set this up for patriots like you who just wanted to serve their country. Unfortunate for you my friend, good luck.
FLY NAVY!

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Sorry for the crappy situation, however, better things are ahead.

I cannot stress to you enough, like everyone else has to:

ENSURE EVERYTHING IS DOCUMENTED AND GET A DISABILITY RATING. DO NOT SHRUG THIS OFF UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES

exhelodrvr

pilot
And make sure you check on the benefits that are available from that - it will vary from state to state, but can include things like free tuition at state colleges/universities for your children, extra "points" in your application when applying for government-related jobs, etc.

Beefalo

Good luck to you. Like you I have been working on years to try to get a commission in the Navy for aviation but was NPQ for other medical reasons. Seems like the people who want it most dont get it and vice versa. I am slowly accepting the truth however and as time goes on it will make things better.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
An update: currently sitting up here in student pool at OCS. I am being told that I will not qualify for the 9/11 GI bill because I do not have any actual active duty time. Since OCS is a "training" command, it doesn't count towards actual active duty time. They are still in the process of med boarding me so I haven't received any additional information about that. I was told by someone at the DAV that I will be eligible for benefits when I get out, but he won't be able to tell me what until my MEB comes in.

Anyone have any ideas how I might qualify for the GI bill? I would really like to go back to school for Naval Architecture, but it may not be possible on my own. Thanks again guys for all the encouragement. Soon to welcome child #2 into world. Wife is due in a few weeks and we are very excited; if a little apprehenshive about finding a job.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
An update: currently sitting up here in student pool at OCS. I am being told that I will not qualify for the 9/11 GI bill because I do not have any actual active duty time. Since OCS is a "training" command, it doesn't count towards actual active duty time. They are still in the process of med boarding me so I haven't received any additional information about that. I was told by someone at the DAV that I will be eligible for benefits when I get out, but he won't be able to tell me what until my MEB comes in.

Anyone have any ideas how I might qualify for the GI bill? I would really like to go back to school for Naval Architecture, but it may not be possible on my own. Thanks again guys for all the encouragement. Soon to welcome child #2 into world. Wife is due in a few weeks and we are very excited; if a little apprehenshive about finding a job.

I hate to say it but I think you are SOL! According to this you are not eligible. I don't see how you could get anything to qualify as you can't finish any accession source.

http://www.military.com/education/content/gi-bill/new-post-911-gi-bill-overview.html#tiers

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
Yep... what I'm being told. Pretty shitty considering this was a life-long dream and ended up just wasting what will be nearly a year of my life and disqualifying me from any type of military service (CG included :( )