• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Naval Career Lasted 2 months before it ended

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
Hey guys. This is my farewell. I passed out during PT one morning at OCS with a 107.5 degree temperature. Through the course of them attempting to find out what caused my temperature to be so ridiculous, they did a scan of my head and found two masses. They advised that both be taken out and I agreed. In hindsight, perhaps I should have waited until I finished OCS training, but having had one episode already, I feared another next time I tried to PT.

They sent me down to Walter Reed/Bethesda where they did more tests and finally my surgery. They had to completely had to remove my pinile gland as there was a cyst that had essentially destroyed it. And I had a benign tumor in my cerebellum. At this point I figured that ended my chances of being pilot (my chosen designator), but I still had a long Naval career ahead of me.

Part of the issues with surgery like this is that your spinal fluid can leak out of the surgery sight and under the surrounding skin. For about two weeks, mine kept leaking under the skin and building pressure. They had to manually drain the fluid with a syringe until finally my body was able to handle it. After a couple days in the hospital handling the fluid on my own, they released me.

I was fine outside of the hospital and feeling great for 3 days. Then on the morning of the third day, I woke up and the fluid and pressure had built up again in my head so bad that I couldn't stand. My wife and I were staying at the Fisher house and we had to call an ambulance to get me to the hospital where they again had to manually drain the fluid.

They said if I had another problem, then I needed to be readmitted. Later that day it happened again and I went back into the hospital. For some reason my body was no longer handling the fluid on its own. They decided to put in a lumbar drain (this was my third lumbar puncture and something I hope that you guys don't have to go through... especially when it takes 5-6 attempts for each one) and then try to wean me off of it slowly after about 5 days to see if my body could handle it.

Well the time came and went and my body had not improved at all from the time I came in again to the time they tried to wean me off. At this point the doctor said my only real choice was to put in a ventricular shunt (a tube that is internal and goes from my brain down to my abdomen to get rid of any excess spinal fluid my body can't tolerate). After 2 months in the hospital I reluctantly agreed. The day before surgery I was informed that the shunt would end my Naval career as it is disqualifying and there is no waiver.

I expected it, but it was still heart-breaking. It was one thing to not be a pilot, but to not be in the Navy at all?? This was what I had planned on for my entire life and it was taken from me by something I couldn't control in the least.

SO that's the story. As much as I hate the fact that I'm soon to be out of the Navy, I do have to look at the bright side. The navy footed two brain surgeries and two months of recovery inside a hospital. Also, this episode happened during a PT session and not after I was flying a plane (possibly with passengers), in which the result could have been the end of my life and the life of those entrusted to my care. The Navy has done one hell of a job taking care of its own and I am eternally thankful. Of note: the Fisher House where my wife and son (who had his third birthday, met the first lady, the cake boss, and montel williams) was such a blessing to us I can't begin to express it. It's an amazing thing they do for our service people.

In closing, I sincerely regret that I won't be able to join you all in defense of our country. I doubt I'll be on here much after this as it is still a bit hard getting on here and reading about all the stuff I was looking forward to. Lol, but then I do live in pensacola and I see them flying the trainers allll dayyy lonngggg. Oh well, I will get over it. To you all I wish you the best and safety in all of your assignments. Take Care.

(sorry about the book... it's been a long few months)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Sorry to hear that. Bigger and better things await you, good luck to you.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Dreamer, I'm glad to hear that you're getting better. It's always tough to hear these stories, and I know it's even tougher to be in your shoes. I hope you're able to find something that excites you as much as Naval aviation did. Best of luck to you!

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. It's possible that had you not been under such physical stress while at OCS PT, you never would've known about the tumors. They could've become non-treatable and that could've been it. I understand you're probably unquestionably disappointed right now, but you're alive and it sounds like you've got a great wife and child to support you and that you can be grateful for.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Best of luck to you JSF. I'm truly sorry about what happened, especially to someone who would've made a great Officer. I hope you're able to find something that suits you and your family.

Most of all, glad you're alive and okay. Take care buddy.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Sorry to hear about your situation. I'm glad you are doing better. I wish you and your family the best for many years to come. Stay Safe.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
I appreciate the words of encouragement; truly. I have a math degree, but the downside is now I have to actually use it, lol. I'm eager to start working out again. When I collapsed was the last time I was allowed to run. I've lost weight, but it was all muscle mass. I feel like a fat slob. Another week and I'll be allowed to run and find out if there was any lasting damage done to my cerebellum.

Again, thank you all. Hope you guys have great careers. I intend to make the best of my present situation and the command at OCS has been amazingly helpful.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
Best of luck to you JSF. I'm truly sorry about what happened, especially to someone who would've made a great Officer. I hope you're able to find something that suits you and your family.

Most of all, glad you're alive and okay. Take care buddy.

Thanks, Pike. Hope everything goes well for you. Take it easy, brother.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
wow, sorry to hear that. I hope the best for you in your future endeavors, and am glad to hear you're recovering.

CAMike

None
Contributor
JSFD -Perspective young man. You've been through a lot and have loved ones that care about you.

Best of luck as you progress through life. You've already proven that you're a fighter.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whoa. What an ordeal with such a mixed outcome. May you have fair winds and following seas in your next endeavor.Don't be a stranger!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Ahhhhhh ... sorry to hear that ... very sorry, indeed.

We all appreciate your support of this website over the past couple of years -- this website that's dedicated to a common bond we share and something we all love -- Naval Aviation.

But the most important things are you, your health, and your family. Whatever happens, I believe in fate. I believe that we are all destined for something. You are still searching for your destiny. It's not a great answer, but it's what I believe.

"The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the LORD" (Proverbs 16:33)
"No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love Him " (1 Corinthians 2:7-9)

Be a 'believer' or not ... it's still 'good advice'.

I wish you all the best in your future, younger Brother ... may God bless you & yours.

Courage,
A4s