• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Latest Purchase (or just pictures of your current guns)

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
the walnut stocks they use (or used to use) on the specials are made by Boyds. In anycase, the wood grain etc usually looks really nice but they are somewhat beefer/thicker looking than GI stocks. As long as you don't mind that it might be a decent deal as long as the metal is as good as they say. Both SA and HRA made very nice Garands in the 50's. Another alternative is the correct grade. A little more money but they are in great shape and use GI stocks. Then again some regular service grades are almost as nice. Usually the stocks are a little dinged up but that's normal in many Garands

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
Thanks. As of right now they are sold out of the correct grade so I was looking to the service grade. I don't mind dinged up stocks, just hoping for no cracks though. The extra $325 is hard to drop, but the supposed collector grade metal had me intrigued.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks. As of right now they are sold out of the correct grade so I was looking to the service grade. I don't mind dinged up stocks, just hoping for no cracks though. The extra $325 is hard to drop, but the supposed collector grade metal had me intrigued.

I've seen several posts about cracked stocks on the CMP forum and the CMP usually (quickly) corrected the problem, so I wouldn't worry about that. I actually was just shooting my Field Grade today at an evil piece of steel and after messing with some spring issues previously, it's plenty fun, so whatever you decide, it's going to be a great piece of history that shoots great.

My Correct is still in a bunch of itty bitty pieces. Most are ready for assembly but I'm still working the cosmoline on the receiver/barrel and stock. A new stock doesn't sound so bad right now, though I value what I got. Maybe I can hire Blkpny to help me finish.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
M1 Garand, Service Grade HRA (Harrington & Richardson) Special.
Allow 30-60 days for delivery.
HRA collector grade metal in excellent almost new condition. Walnut stocks and handguards and associated hardware are new manufacture.NOT original HRA manufacture.
$950 Effective 1-3-2012
1323224180562.gif

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Man, I have the greatest customers in the world. One of them gave me a night vision scope this week:
e90e9e12.jpg

I'm the service manager for a John Deere dealership and have gotten to be good friends with several of my customers who hunt. One of them brought in a skid steer for service and we got to talking about hunting. He owns a game farm and mostly bow hunts deer that he put on his place. He purchased the scope in order eliminate some hogs that were trapped on his place after he had put up a game fence. Well he killed off the hogs, but he's not a varmint or night predator hunter so he brought me the scope and told me I could have it when he came back the next day to get his skid steer.

The scope is an ATN Night Arrow 6. The receipt was still in the case from when he bought it less than a year ago and gave $1,300 for it. I'm going to zero it in today then do a little coyote hunting tonight. I'm as excited as a pup with 2 peckers. =)

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
My latest from Buds - took them almost a week to get it shipped, where in the past they seemed to get things out the next day. Can't complain though; love the free shipping. My second 5.45x39; unlike some older Century Tantals, this one doesn't have any keyholing problems. A bargain at $419; throw in ammo at $149 for a 1080 round case, "total cost of ownership" is low! (Need to do some extra cleaning, though, as the cheap ammo is largely corrosive.)
Tantal (Small).jpg

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
WTF. The man just walked in and gave you a $1,000 NV scope?

Yep. He owns a very successful machine shop and has a bunch of John Deere equipment that he uses mostly on his game farm. He takes exceptional care of his equipment. You could eat off of the floors of his tractors and skid steer they're kept so clean. I've always gone out of my way to take good care of him in the service dept. and in this case it paid off for me. =)

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Yep. He owns a very successful machine shop and has a bunch of John Deere equipment that he uses mostly on his game farm. He takes exceptional care of his equipment. You could eat off of the floors of his tractors and skid steer they're kept so clean. I've always gone out of my way to take good care of him in the service dept. and in this case it paid off for me. =)

That's fantastic. Good to hear some people do business the old way. Good luck killing the 'yotes

My latest from Buds - took them almost a week to get it shipped, where in the past they seemed to get things out the next day. Can't complain though; love the free shipping. My second 5.45x39; unlike some older Century Tantals, this one doesn't have any keyholing problems. A bargain at $419; throw in ammo at $149 for a 1080 round case, "total cost of ownership" is low! (Need to do some extra cleaning, though, as the cheap ammo is largely corrosive.)
View attachment 10700

I just finally finished building (I say that now, but I'm sure it will find some additions in the near future) an AR chambered in 5.45x39, and I've always wanted an AK. I think I'd like to go with a -74, to keep a common stock of ammo. How do you like the Tantal so far (Polish variant, right)? Also, I'm wondering if it's feasible to replace the wire folder, a feature I much dislike, with a red or plumb wood stock.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Not to derail the current conversation, but I was curious what the local NRA chapters opinion is of the browning hi power. I haven't read through all 26pgs of this thread, but it seems that there are lots of polymer handgun fans and 1911 fans, but I haven't seen too much, if any, discussion of a hi power. I had a friend recommend one to me and i was looking for a second opinion.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Never owned one but in my eyes it's a classic. It fits my hand just right too. Not sure why I don't have one come to think of it. Browning knew what he was doing for sure. The Hi Power, Ma Duce, BAR, Browning A-5 shotgun. All best of breed.....