• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Music over ICS

Mauldice

Just spent the past few days (unsuccessfully) scouring the internet looking for ways to connect an iPod to the F-18 ICS. I have heard stories of some gucci setups, but no one in my squadron has one.

Surely there are some salty aviators that are in the know for making this happen.

phrogpilot73

Transition to the Phrog. We just plug an audio cable from our iPod into the comm panel in the back, select #3 on our ICS panel and voila!

MasterBates

You need a full set of the two prong fittings that connect the helmet to the mask, and make a "T" connector with that and a spliced in 3.5mm stereo jack plug.

Your ATs or PRs should be able to get you the impedance specs on the helmet and ICS system to make sure it's in a usable range.

Mauldice

You need a full set of the two prong fittings that connect the helmet to the mask, and make a "T" connector with that and a spliced in 3.5mm stereo jack plug. Your ATs or PRs should be able to get you the impedance specs on the helmet and ICS system to make sure it's in a usable range.
That's essentially what I was thinking of doing. But I had heard of people having setups where the iPod audio is is muted or at least decreased in volume when ATC calls are made.

Also, I assume there are ways of splicing all of these together such that its not just held together with electrical tape.

P.s. can you just get the 2 prong fittings at a radio shack, or the like?

MasterBates

I think they are orderable from GENTEX. There should be a part number on them. If you want to get fancy with stuff being muted by ATC calls, I'm not sure how in a Hornet.. I could do it in the Hummer pretty easily, and the Prowler guys have a way to do it.. Not sure on the 1/2 seater ways to do it.

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
Helobubba and I are both old H-2 aircrewman that used a jury-rigged system to plug in a Sony "walkman" into the ICS. He might recall better than I do on the technical aspects of doing it. However, I believe it does involve a certain amount of beer to the appropriate workcenters:)

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
I've see the iPod hookup with a volume rheostat. No idea how it worked or where it came from. I've also seen ones with switches to simply turn them on off. Ill try and snag a pic.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I had one for the H-60 wired into an extension pigtail. I had an enterprising (and thirsty) AT rig it up for me.
He also wired in a kill switch, so I could speak on the radio without it going out.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Any enterprising AT or AE could rig one up, just a quick trip to the electronics store and about 20 minutes putting it together. I've built a few over the years, I always took booze for payment.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Helobubba and I are both old H-2 aircrewman that used a jury-rigged system to plug in a Sony "walkman" into the ICS. He might recall better than I do on the technical aspects of doing it. However, I believe it does involve a certain amount of beer to the appropriate workcenters:)

My rig was such that I heard the music in my helmet only. I kept the walkman in my SV-2 and could easily shut it off for important evolutions (landing) or if the pilots got chatty. I had even managed to hang on to it for the first 10 or 15 years after separating....

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I guess maybe I'm the buzz kill here (as a former Safety Center Analyst...), but God help you if you F it away on even a Class C mishap...You'll smoke your wings for a few "tunes." With that being said, just don't fvck it away and you'll be fine.

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
Man, there is always someone that comes along and rains on our parade...

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I guess maybe I'm the buzz kill here (as a former Safety Center Analyst...), but God help you if you F it away on even a Class C mishap...You'll smoke your wings for a few "tunes." With that being said, just don't fvck it away and you'll be fine.

Just commit your rig to Davy Jones' Locker while you're waiting for the helo :)