• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Moving to Whiting

SamTheEagle

I just finished Primary at Moody AFB and expect to start Advanced for Helos at Whiting in the next couple of weeks. I'm looking for any useful tips for moving to Milton, checking in, ways to prepare, etc. Thanks.

Moving into housing or are you looking for a place in town? Not many hotels around but I would say the Ashbury Suites on Hwy 90 is a good place to stay with wireless internet when you initially arrive. It's the closest thing to Whiting unless you can get into the BOQ.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Pfft, close to base? Bah. Stay with a buddy while you're looking for a more permanent setup. As for checkin, if it's not normal working hours, head on over to the Q to get your orders stamped. Beyond that, you'll be told what you need to do while you're at the wing - some admin stuff over at the base HQ, HEEDS/HABD/whatever they're calling it this week (helo dunker + O2 bottle), maybe a stash job. No big deal.

As for advanced proper, find some people you knew from moody and ask them about the differences between AF and Navy training. That should cover most of your bases.

Bevo16

pilot
You will enjoy the change in pace from AF to Navy training. No more stand up EP's and garbage like that. Just don't drop the pack and think that everything is all cool. You had better know your stuff or you will still feel the pain.

Milton is a decent small town, great for married guys. If you are single, don't live in the Q. Find an apartment in P-Cola.

VAmookie

Can i stay in FL for all phases of training? Pensacola for API/primary or Whiting Field for primary? Whiting Field for advanced (helos)? Im not exactly sure who goes where and when, but is it possible to stay in that area the whole time? Trying to think about the wife's continuing education

KBayDog

CORPSviation said:
Can i stay in FL for all phases of training? Pensacola for API/primary or Whiting Field for primary? Whiting Field for advanced (helos)? Im not exactly sure who goes where and when, but is it possible to stay in that area the whole time? Trying to think about the wife's continuing education

Yup.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
While it is possible to do that, you'll have to get the people in charge of deciding where you go to agree to help you out. It's kind of a "needs of the Navy/Corps" kind of a thing. You go where they tell you. If you're fortunate enough to have someone going to bat for you then you could very well be in the Pensacola area for API, Primary, and Advanced. Just don't assume that it will happen that way, have a good plan B.

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
the boq at naswf is almost done, when it is they plan on making all bachelor check ins live there until it is full. they were supposed to start filling it 2 weeks ago but they had a delay.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
CORPSviation said:
It's actually really easy to do when you're married. Somehow the "needs of the Navy" always seem to involve saving the money it would cost to move you and your family to Corpus/Vance. You should be able to do it pretty easily (speaking as one who has done it). The only problem with your plan that I can see is what might happen if, during primary or API, you decide that you don't want to fly helos. I can't understand why anyone would decide that, but it happens. Don't let yourself get so caught up in your wife's continuing education that you stop from trying to fly what you really want.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
squorch2 said:
HEEDS/HABD/whatever they're calling it this week (helo dunker + O2 bottle),

Quick threadjack.... Are you HT guys getting HABDs now or still using the old HEEDs? Just curious.

KBayDog

gatordev said:
Good to hear. HEED sucks.

I'll take your word for it. Since I spent the majority of my tour in Hawaii underwater, the HABD training was a bit anti-climactic.

It gave me a good excuse to visit the NASP NEX, though.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The beauty of the HEED was if you were already upside down before you put it in your mouth, you had to be EXACTLY positioned so the bottle was upright. Usually no one could get it, so the diver would tilt your head a bit for you. I'm guessing he wouldn't be around in the real deal. HABDs are much more forgiving.