• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Moving to Corpus Questions!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent00JP

1. Obviously I am TAD at NAS Pcola. Since the Navy never paid to move me from my Home of Record to OCS or for API, will they move my stuff from my HoR, or are they just going to pay for me to move from Pcola to CC?

2. From what I understand, I won't have access to new orders until my 5th week in API. How does that affect getting On-base housing since there may be a waiting list? Do you think I could get them cut at least a few weeks earlier to smooth the housing application/wait list?

3. Assuming they are holding our orders until 5th week, does that mean we won't get DLA, DITY etc. before we move?

4. Any gouge on the current wait for on-base housing at NAS CC?

5. Anyone familiar with the leave/ leave-in-route/ stash policy for those of us fininshing API in the two weeks prior to Christmas and reporting to CC? Also, how does the "house-hunting" leave fit into all this?

Thanks in advance.

Agent00JP

This board tends to get more experienced and thoughtful answers, while the other gets some more candid and negatively biased, if not funny, answers.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
gotcha, well here is what I posted in the other
. I lived in the Q in Pcola, it was great... DO NOT LIVE IN THE NAS CC BOQ. It is a slum!

You should be able to get your stuff moved from your home of record, guys that I PCSed with were able to do that and move the small thins they had in Pcola on the Navy's dime.

You cannot get your orders cut early, just not possible. You don't want to be on a waiting list for the dumps in CC.

Depending on the wait time to class up (not sure what it is, but you find out the first day you check in with a firm class up date.) but if there is a wait, they were real cool with letting people go on leave. Not sure what the wings leave period is for Xmas, but the sqds are giving leave for 2 weeks the week before Xmas.

Hope this helps.

DevilDucksGirl

SNA Wife- Advanced Helos
Agent00JP-

I can give some help here...

1. They will pay for you to move from P'cola to CC. It is really confusing to explain- let's just say- I would talk to the housing office to get the whole truth. I have still yet to completely understand it- but I can tell you from our experience- which just occured in August.

2. My husband did not have his orders in his hand until the last day of API!! Talk about short notice planning...
banghead_125.gif
. However- he was given a notice that he would most likely come to CC. Then- the last moment Lt. SoandSo wanted him to go to Moody- but since we were married and I had already started making arrangements here- they let him come here. What I'm trying to say is that even though they may 'tell' you where you're going, nothing is 100% sure until you have the printed black and whites in your hands. I have known people that were told something- planned for it, and got their orders for somewhere COMPLETELY different.

3. I can tell you- you will only get DLA if you are married. As far as DITY moves- we did that- it was HORRIBLE! I can tell you detail: we had a truck with company A- then the truck came and company A couldn't give us the truck because the people that had it before us- never unloaded it before turining it in. Nice, huh? We show up at 8am and ready to go (this was the day before he was to 'graduate' from API and start heading here) and find out that the people that had our truck before had an emergency- and had to be put into the hospital. SO....we were truck-less. In a Navy town that has everyone- or a lot of people moving on the weekends- this was not good. We went around and called EVERY moving place in P'cola and finally found a U-Haul at the NEX. Problem there was- the only truck they had was a stick shift- and wouldn't turn on! Luckily- 6 hours later- we find out that another truck that was supposed to go out of that same U-Haul facility had been cancelled- therefore about 6-8 hours AFTER we were going to be loading we finally got a truck. My point to all of this- is go ahead and reserve a truck for where you honestly think or have been told you'll be going. Most likely if you volunteered for here-you'll be coming. Unless like scenario above that things change at the last moment without notice. Another thing I recommend is that you have another truck company in your mind lined up. If you go ahead and reserve a truck for CC and end up going to Moody- or Whiting- well at least you have one. If you wait too long- they will be all gone. Of course this was in end of July/August when we were doing this- and that is prime moving time. But- better be safe than sorry. As far as the $$ for moving- unfortunately you have to pay for that yourself. We had to use a credit card for that-
scared_125.gif
which wasn't great- but we actually made money on the move. More about that later.

4. We never looked for base housing here- we had always wanted to live out in town. Most do. I can give you great info on the good and bad parts to live. Base housing ranges from really old and being torn down- to brand new. The brand new are already being taken up by the people that lived in the torn down or really old. Honestly, I think living out in town is best- the base housing didn't do a darn thing for us when we saw it. Not great unless you're in the new. That is our 2 cents though. Check out another post in this forum- I have listed a lot of apartment locaters- and can give actual numbers for a locating service. It is free- and that is how we found our place. Rental homes are scarce- and apartments are hard to find sometimes as well. But start looking soon!!

5. As far as leave for the holidays- we haven't crossed that bridge yet ourselves. Wish I could help. You don't get house-hunting leave for this. It sucks majorly- but we had orders on Friday (last day of API) and had to be here by 11:59PM on Monday. That was all the notice we got. Another reason we really pushed to come here to CC- we didn't want to rearrange all of this for Moody.

Other tips-

* The sooner you find somewhere to live the better. The worse case scenario is that you lose your deposit. Better than losing a place to live! Most likely- they will work with you. Again, another reason to work with an apartment locater company. I can give you the info for the one we used. We spent 5 days in a hotel trying to find a place to live- and called this place in the AM of one of the days- and had a place by 3pm that day. They are GREAT!

* Save up for the move- you don't get paid for it until well after. We didn't get our travel $$ until about 6 weeks or more after we had been here (we moved here 8/1) and didn't get our move money until late last week!!! So, make sure you allow for the money- it cost us at least $2000 out of pocket. Not cheap. Another thing I can't stress enough Keep ALL of your receipts!!! They are your ticket to getting properly being reimbursed. Before you submit them- make sure you make photo copies just in case you get into the he said/she said thing. That can happen.

* If you're alone- I'd find some people in your class that want roommates. Most of the single guys we know live with eachother or other guys here. People are usually always looking for roommates- and it is very common here to do that. If you have a wife/family- then start looking now! For dependents BAH here is $999. Of course- I am not sure if that depends on rank/time- but my husband is an O1E with 6 years- and actually will have 8 as of December. So, not sure if BAH is by rank- I don't think so.

I could probably write a book on this subject- just because of our crazy experience. But it was one of those what could go wrong did- and that made it worse. Don't forget that hotels, gas, food, anything that has to do with this move- and U-Haul or moving supplies- everything can be reimbursed. Tell people you are moving because of the Navy- and most places give you discounts. That was one nice thing we noticed. Also, make mention of it when you're looking for a place to live- some places even had a free deposit! If you need anything else email or PM me. I can help somehow! Good luck- and I hope your move is much better than ours!
icon_smile_wink.gif

Heather
apple_125.gif

DevilDucksGirl

SNA Wife- Advanced Helos
Forgot to mention- even though our DITY move was bad- I would still do it again- we actually came out so ahead!! The downfalls of the Navy moving you so out weighs doing it yourself. You have to sign a PoA- have someone there you trust to watch your stuff be packaged and loaded- and since you're doing this at the last minute- it will probably take 4-5 weeks for it to arrive! One of Greg's classmates took over 4 weeks for him to get his stuff. He and his girlfriend only packed one set of clothes- and they slept on the floor- it was a mess! I think if we had 2-3 weeks to plan- I'd do it- and have more preparation- but for moving here and only having the weekend to get here- I would NOT do it at all.....

Heather

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
WOW, she gave you some great info... One thing, she was tlaking about Base Housing... I think she meant Family Housing. The Bachelor Officer Quarters ARE THE GHETTO!!! The family housing is a lot better.

If you are just a plain O-1 like I am thinking, your BAH is about 650 a month if you have no dependants.

One thing to think about as far as roommates go here. Not everyone is going to select the same communities out of here. If one roommate goes P-3/C-130 or E-2/C-2 they are staying here. Whereas Jets is a move to kingsville not far, but if you are single they make you live on base, so you have to move. If you go helos back to milton. Just be aware of the fact that you might get stuck with all the rent if a roommate pulls the military clause to get out their lease when it comes time to leave and you end up having to stay.

I had the navy move me, it was great... did not make as much money as the dity guys did, and it took them 2.5 weeks to get here, but it was EASY. Not disagreeing with devilduck, just giving you another perpective.

Good Luck

DevilDucksGirl

SNA Wife- Advanced Helos
BCH-

I was talking about family housing- but even some if it I wouldn't live in!
bigmouth_125.gif
But you are so right- the BOQ- is bad.
boggled_125.gif
Which is sad- because I think a few rooms in it act as the Navy Lodge.

As far as having the Navy move you- 2.5 weeks- that isn't too bad! I guess it just depends on their availability- and demand! That is better than 4-5 though!
icon_smile_wink.gif

Good point about the roommate thing- never really thought of that! I guess it would be better to have a 6 month lease with guys you know from your API class- that way- you know in 6 months you can either renew- or move on!
icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

Heather

JenniH

Jennifer
Wow Heather! Thanks for the great info. And in case ya'll haven't figured it out, Agent00jp is my hubby! I guess he didn't mention that it is 4 of us moving to CC. I will check out your apartment locators. I have talked to one (Bradley somebody?) and he didn't sound real positive about finding very much within our BAH (811), especially 3 bedrooms. Family housing may be a better option for us, since it will be almost impossible for us to go down there to check things out. We'll pray for one of the new ones!!

Jennifer

DevilDucksGirl

SNA Wife- Advanced Helos
Ahhhhh...I had to clue Jenni! Now I feel silly!
slaphappy_125.gif
Anyway- I hope it helps some. I'll tell you more in a PM.

Heather

Status
Not open for further replies.