• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

moving to California...

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Hey all,

I'm PCSing to CA next week for the FRS. I've been prepping my guns/accessories and had a few questions I figured could get answered here.

Capacity:
I have several 15-rd mags for my Glock 19 that I'm going to send to my Dad in IL for safekeeping. I've been shopping around Pensacola for some 10 rounders....everyone in the gun shops feels sorry for me. I also have a 12 GA Mossberg. I didn't run across any laws about plugging the magazine tube, are there any regulations that anyone is familiar with? It's a standard 5-shot tube, so it's well below the 10 capacity law I'm familiar with.

Registering Handguns:
Is it as simple as walking in to the local PD or Sherrif and filling out some forms with their serial numbers? Has anyone run into any problems in this area? At least they don't require registration on the long guns.

Ammo:
Is ammo harder to get/more expensive in the San Diego area? I'm considering bringing a case of ammo with me if this is the case. Can I get it at Wal Mart there?

Where to shoot:
Does anyone have any ranges/gun clubs they would recommend?

I'm really looking forward to living in San Diego for the FRS, but the gun ownership thing seems like it might be a pain in the ass compared to Florida. If anyone else has any advice on bringing their firearms into California, I'm all ears!

Thanks!
Noze

Rubiks06

pilot
If you do a search online for san diego firearm registration you can find a PDF form that will walk you through it. Basically, you should be able to fill it out and send them the money with it. Easy as that.

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
I just moved out here and the handgun thing is easy. I registered mine right after college before TBS and when I called the DOJ before moving back here this time they told me that you only have to do it once and it stays in the system forever. Just go online and look it up, the forms are there, print them out, write a check, mail it in. I even was allowed to keep my AK and AR. Since I am active duty military you just have to get a permit for them. All through the DOJ who were surprisingly very helpful with my questions. The mags, not the same story had to get rid of (give to a friend in Nevada) my 30 round mags for the AK and AR. As far as shooting I don't have any experience for ya there.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good recommendations. Here are some more:
http://www.gotammo.com/

If you don't have access to MCAS ranges on Camp Elliot, South Bay Rod & Gun Club has excellent outdoor ranges, up to 300 yds. rifle, plus separate pistol and shotgun ranges, and "others". They accept non-members for a nominal daily fee. They also have a wide variety of competitions and some training.
http://www.sbrgc.org/

And yes, San Diego Wal-Mart's sell ammo at reasonable prices.

Huggy Bear

pilot
What is this about registering guns? I grew up in California and had firearms all my life. I never registered anything unless I did so automatically with a new purchase. So when I inheirit my father's 70+ collection I'm supposed to register them?

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Thanks for all your help. I originally grew up in Illinois before moving down to FL for flight school....the anti-gun flashbacks are killing me. It must have sounded dumb do ask if places like Walmart sell ammo....but in IL they didn't:(.

Anyone ever try purchasing a firearms while stationed in CA and NOT a resident?

@Feddoc
That's the site I've been using as well. It's a bit puzzling though since it seems like it is not very "current". Most of the stuff looks like it is dated 2007 and prior.

Bevo16

pilot
Anyone ever try purchasing a firearms while stationed in CA and NOT a resident?

I got a Winchester 30-30 at a gun show and it was a bit of a pain. The dealer transfer fee is pretty high, and you have to go through a background check and waiting period even for a rifle. After about a week, I went and picked up the gun. If you go to get a gun, make sure that you bring just about every kind of gun lock available to accept transfer. I had not totally thought it through, and just figured that after I owned it I could just throw it on the gun rack and drive home. Not so fast. The action had to be totally blocked with a chain lock.

I am really happy to have gotten the hell out of the PRK. I have my Tennessee hand gun permit, and with it there is no waiting period on any firearm. Even the base up here has the most liberal rules for handguns that I have ever heard of. If you want to go to a local range and shoot on your lunch break, you just have to register your guns with the base armorer and you can bring your gun on and off base (unloaded) as much as you want.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had many hi-cap Glock mags that were bought pre-ban. I could use, but could only load them to 10 rounds. Any more than that and I was in violation of their stupid laws. But hey whou would know...the magazine police???

You can also go over the hill towards El Sweato in shoot out in the wide open BLM areas for free. Makes a nice day trip...overnighter camping trip event.

I am glad I left CA, then again MD is not much better.

VA is looking better all the time.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I got a Winchester 30-30 at a gun show and it was a bit of a pain.... (w/ California gun laws) ....
Ahhhhh, yes ... the Winchester lever action: the weapon of choice for gang-bangers and drive-by shootings for over 100 years and counting .... :D

win3030hr0.jpg
johnwaynewinchesterfa0.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....I've shot here a couple times...(Don't tell A4s though, or I'll lose my rep as a gun-hating liberal! ;))

Uh-Oh ... a gun-hating liberal who knows how to shoot .... can you imagine the self-loathing they must experience ... ??? Can you ?? :)

Be afraid ... be very afraid, as "gun totin' white liberals" are the most dangerous of all the bipedal primates.
:eek:

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Uh-Oh ... a gun-hating liberal who knows how to shoot .... can you imagine the self-loathing they must experience ... ??? Can you ?? :)

Be afraid ... be very afraid, as "gun totin' white liberals" are the most dangerous of all the bipedal primates.
:eek:

I'll admit it; some days I do have trouble dragging my conflicted ass out of bed.

FTR, I don't hate guns and am actually fairly liberal (as in relaxed, not as in left-leaning) about gun ownership. I just think there are some places we could do better with our laws.

This thread reminds me that it has been way too long since I've been out shooting. I'll have to hit my sister up and have her take me out, though her guns aren't my first choice--a Glock and whatever 9mm the sheriff's department issued her--but beggars can't be chosers. I'm a .357 or 10mil girl, personally. Everything else (that I've fired) is too big or too small, but those are juuuuust right. :icon_smil