• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Motorcycles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator

I know that while in OCS your not suppsed to ride a motorcycle if you have one. However, does anyone have any info on whether or not your allowed to while in flight school?

vballpilot

Why aren't you allowed to ride one at OCS? That is my primary mode of transportation when the weather is good and in Florida I think it would be a lot nicer for a longer time then up here in the cold northeast. That seems like a strange rule to me.

Gator

I have no idea why the higher ups have made this rule. I'm assuming that since you are not allowed to go skydiving, bungee jumping also that it's because of the safety factor. The last command that I was with in the Marines had a similar policy and it wasn't even a training command. In case you are wondering these rules are outlined in the "Guide to Success" for Naval Officer Delayed Entry Program.
Vballpilot - What kind of back doyou have? I have a 2001, GSX-R 750 with a Hindle Supersport race exhaust. I love it and couldn't imagine not being able to ride.

gunnerdd972

Well, I think I will be riding my Harley after OCS. MY wife and I only have two vehicles. A Ford, and a Harley, and quess which one I will riding? The Navy even paid for me to go through a motorcycle safety course in San Dog. I have a 1200 custom sportster with ape hangers.

GM2(SW) Hosehead

vballpilot

Sad story on my bike: I used to have a Hond CBR600F4--but some drunk guy hit it one night in a parking lot and totalled it so right now i'm looking into getting a new bike for next summer. I was looking a hayabusa (sp?) but that thing is a monster so I have no idea. I dont know if anything can replace my honda i loved that thing

Gator

Before I had my GSXR I had a ZX6R and it was stolen from right in front of my apartment. I had just gotten back from getting it jetted, new airfilters and an ignition advancer put in. I had only ridden it a few tiems before some punk stole it. If your thinking about getting a new bike I'd look at either a GSXR 750 or 1000 or the new R1. The GSXR 750 is lighter than a 600 and puts out 124hp stock. As of 2001 bikes then only thing that will out run it was the GSXR 1000. It even outruns the R1. I haven't seen the specs onthe '02 R1 though, but it's bad looking. Hyabusas are nice and extremely fast, but they're not designed for taking turns. They're to big and heavy. However, on a straight away there's nothing thats faster. Hope you find something that you like.

Gator

Dave
Your just jealous that you don't have a bike as bad as mine anymore. Speaking of which, we still need to dial in my suspension.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
In regards to hogs:
The Marine Corps order says that any active duty Marine will wear the proper safety equipment as prescribed for on base driving and off base driving. This includes a heavy jacket, helmet, orange reflective vest, boots, jeans or heavier pants and gloves. They used to make you wear a tall flag on your bike but that was removed. If you are involved in an accident and you are not wearing the proper attire, you can be found not in the line of duty and the goverment does not have to pay your medical bills. The idea is that they would rather you not ride a bike so they make it somewhat inconvenient to ride while on or off base. We lose a lot of sailors and Marines each year to motorcycles and the rules are designed for prevention of accident or injury or death. Hope it helps. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Status
Not open for further replies.