• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Motorcycle Course While in Flight School?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I have to say that in terms of military life style a motorcycle and a car are better than most duo decisions like...

Two cars if you are single.
A car and a boat regardless of your marital status.
A car and an airplane.
Or worse yet...a car and a helicopter!

Like all things, know why you want to ride and know what kind of riding you want to do. Back in my motorcycle days I had what they called a "scrambler" which meant a Triumph 750 with some saddle bags and lightly knobby tires for light off road stuff - but I got rid of it when I reported to P'cola.

Dontcallmegump

pilot
I guess being from PA I thought the warm weather 365 days a year would be beneficial as I could ride all year long? That and making the ride to base more interesting. But again I dont know anything. What other hobbies around the gulf would you guys suggest? I ride my road and mountain bikes a lot so was looking forward to the year round warm weather for that as well.

I could see how coming from a place with such a harsh winter would lead you to that conclusion, however its the opposite problem in the gulf states. The "winters" are still kind of chilly (some days, beautiful others) and the rest of the year minus two weeks for "spring" and "fall" are unbearably hot and humid with infuriating rainstorms. I did a ton of riding in the insane heat of the southwest, 100-110 was normal and the highest I saw was 116 but Ill swear the heat is worse in the south. Especially wearing all the gear that is required by your new employer, and the little extra you should wear above those requirements (a decent jacket made for the road and not just long sleeve shirts or a flight suit).

None of that is fun to deal with, and couple it with the fact that the terrain is just flat and boring to ride almost everywhere within reasonable distance from where you'll be, the roads suck in a lot of rural places and the drivers are extra dumb like others have made better observations to . Don't get me wrong, riding is one of my favorite things to do and a lifelong passion, but I was really disappointed when I came to understand that being on two wheels wasn't anywhere near as much fun as it had been in other places I'd lived.

If I could do it all again, I'd get a really nice kayak plus a road and mountain bike. For the price of those 3 you could get an ok-ish bike but be way happier with the diversity of activities and really take advantage of what there is to offer around the training bases you'll be at.

Pags

N/A
pilot
My BIL rode when he was in college at FSU. He said sitting astride an air cooled engine while wearing riding gear in traffic during the gulf summers was the worst.

kookylukey

I could see how coming from a place with such a harsh winter would lead you to that conclusion, however its the opposite problem in the gulf states. The "winters" are still kind of chilly (some days, beautiful others) and the rest of the year minus two weeks for "spring" and "fall" are unbearably hot and humid with infuriating rainstorms. I did a ton of riding in the insane heat of the southwest, 100-110 was normal and the highest I saw was 116 but Ill swear the heat is worse in the south. Especially wearing all the gear that is required by your new employer, and the little extra you should wear above those requirements (a decent jacket made for the road and not just long sleeve shirts or a flight suit).

None of that is fun to deal with, and couple it with the fact that the terrain is just flat and boring to ride almost everywhere within reasonable distance from where you'll be, the roads suck in a lot of rural places and the drivers are extra dumb like others have made better observations to . Don't get me wrong, riding is one of my favorite things to do and a lifelong passion, but I was really disappointed when I came to understand that being on two wheels wasn't anywhere near as much fun as it had been in other places I'd lived.

If I could do it all again, I'd get a really nice kayak plus a road and mountain bike. For the price of those 3 you could get an ok-ish bike but be way happier with the diversity of activities and really take advantage of what there is to offer around the training bases you'll be at.
Thanks really appreciate it. You guys have definitely convinced me the motorcycle is not the way to go in my situation. I'll probably save most of what I get from the car and spend a little on getting a nice new set of wheels for my road bike as well as a good paddle board. Not sure how my whitewater kayak will be for Pcola, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there

OscarMyers

None
My BIL rode when he was in college at FSU. He said sitting astride an air cooled engine while wearing riding gear in traffic during the gulf summers was the worst.

+1 for this. I had a Harley in Daytona during college and it was a moist ride. And this was before I started wearing full face helmet with a decently protective jacket. Showing up sweaty to class became less and less desirable as time marched on.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Thanks really appreciate it. You guys have definitely convinced me the motorcycle is not the way to go in my situation. I'll probably save most of what I get from the car and spend a little on getting a nice new set of wheels for my road bike as well as a good paddle board. Not sure how my whitewater kayak will be for Pcola, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there

I dunno man, I guess I'm the lone dissenting voice. I even had a period of time of about 15 months during my time in Pensacola that all I had was my motorcycle and it really wasn't a big deal. I still say get a bike and enjoy the road.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
I have to say that in terms of military life style a motorcycle and a car are better than most duo decisions like...

Two cars if you are single.
A car and a boat regardless of your marital status.
A car and an airplane.
Or worse yet...a car and a helicopter!

Like all things, know why you want to ride and know what kind of riding you want to do. Back in my motorcycle days I had what they called a "scrambler" which meant a Triumph 750 with some saddle bags and lightly knobby tires for light off road stuff - but I got rid of it when I reported to P'cola.
?

OscarMyers

None
Yes! Although I was never that cool and my saddlebags were…well…hard. To guard against moist rides I guess.
Might wanna get that checked out. Any hardness or lumps are grounds for concern. I enjoyed riding when I knew I was gonna keep rolling, but as a commuter vehicle, I rather avoided starting the school day off with swamp ass. Even commuting in Hampton Roads was better then Florida. Granted I had also upgraded to my water-cooled F800GSA by then, so that might have something to do with it.