• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Motivational Statement MEGA Thread

so im guessing this is where i can post my personal statement for slaugter and review..? haha well it is pretty extensive and i needed help on grammar and things that arent unnecessary... Thanks for the help everyone.

My grandfather was always a role model to me as I was growing up, even now giving great inspiration of where I want to be in life. Having served twenty-seven years, he retired as a Command Sergeant Major of the United States Army. A two time Vietnam veteran and one time Korean war veteran he had served our country honorably and led me to where I am today. I believe that being a part of a military family made me a more structured, organized person. As time progresses in the fleet leadership positions begin to open up and that challenge must be accepted without hesitation. Having the opportunity to become a naval officer overwhelms me with pride, yet I understand that it takes a higher caliber of person to endure the program. My experience in the fleet as a member of the enlisted community has been surreal, but I believe that it only begins here and the seaman to admiral program is a path to my career goal.
Honor, what I believe should be the base of what builds a person’s character. Being from Hawaii we pride the values of honor, respect, and dignity. I was never one to be selfish, and in any situation would always help out my fellow shipmates; to me that is the foundation of what leadership is. The navy is a melting pot of cultures in which I have come across. Working together with a diverse community teaches me no matter how different people can be or what the situation is, the mission will always get completed.
In my first tour of duty I served on board the USS Essex (LHD 2) stationed in Sasebo, Japan. Having being a part of the forward deployed naval forces in the seventh fleet as my first command helped me shape up quickly as a junior airman. With always being out to sea, it was easy to get qualified in anything desired and so within a four month window I was able to get dual warfare qualified. With a supportive chain of command they sent me over to specialize in the crash and salvage field of our rate. As I gained experience I was able to reach the position of crash crew leader, in which I was in charge of six crew members. If an aircraft casualty were to happen my crewmen have to put their trust in me that I will lead them the right way for the survival of the aircrew and themselves. After completing three honorable years overseas in Japan I then transferred to San Diego, California where I served on the USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6). Within the two years I served on LHD 6 I picked up rank and learned what it was to be a leader. Having completed multiple deployments, a dry dock period and many countless general quarters evolutions I have learned that there will be people and times that challenge my character to which I must address. How I deal with these situations determine the outcome of what kind of leader I could be.
We are taught that leadership starts from the top and moves down the ladder. In the fleet at my current command I am held up to a high standard by my chain of command as a leader. A United States Naval Officer is a symbol of strength and courage; that person is willing to rise up to the challenge in any occasion. In my opinion guidance and leadership work together, if selected I can rise up to that challenge and am able to steer my fellow shipmates in the right direction. At my command I am a primary fitness leader for the department I work for and also hold fitness classes after hours. I use the leadership skills learned to structure order within the classes. The navy’s core values of courage, and commitment would best describe what leadership means to me. Even in times of hardship I must be courageous to stand up for what is right and commit to being a leader in order for me to succeed at the mission.
As an aspiring Naval Officer my intuitive knowledge assists me with every task I complete. Creative minds are rare to come along and I believe that my versatility to various situations would help me in any target group of the seaman to admiral program. I plan on taking my college career path to achieve my bachelor’s degree in computer science; a field in which I have always had an interest in. My grandfather always told me that higher education is something I shouldn’t take for granted. It is with me deepest desire to attend college and become a better person for myself because the United States Navy is where I would like to be for the long term. Previous evaluations received stated that my next step to advance is recommendation into STA-21. The seaman to admiral program is the chance I have to show people that when a person applied themselves correctly, they can achieve anything desired.
In my job field I believe that doing the right thing is a one-hundred percent of the time task. Community service is at the top of my list whenever visiting a foreign port because it helps us bond with foreign nationals and brings credit upon us as an American naval global force for good. The Navy interests me because I would not only have the opportunity to lead the best, but I would also have the chance to learn from and work with for the best our country has to offer. In life I always strive for perfection, therefore if selected into the seaman to admiral program I will dedicate myself completely to perform beyond standard and serve my country with pride as a new generation naval officer.

So, after a few good revisions this is what I now have. Thanks in advance for any input!

My grandfather was always a role model to me as I was growing up, still giving great inspiration of where I want to be in life. Having served twenty-seven years in the United States Army, he retired as a Command Sergeant Major. A two-time Vietnam veteran and one-time Korean war veteran he had served our country honorably and led me to where I am today. I believe that being a part of a military family shaped me to be a more structured and organized individual. As time progresses in the fleet leadership positions begin to formulate and those challenges must be accepted without hesitation. Having the opportunity to become a Naval Officer overwhelms me with gratification; nevertheless I understand that it takes a higher caliber of person. My experience in the fleet as a member of the enlisted community has been surreal, but I believe that it only begins here and STA-21 is the path to my career goal.

Honor, I believe, should be a quality instilled into every person’s character. Being from Hawaii we take great pride in the values of honor, respect, and dignity. I was never one to be selfish, and in any circumstance would constantly aid my fellow shipmates; to me that is the foundation of what leadership is. My diligent character directly supports the Navy’s core value of honor; furthermore I believe that treating one another with respect is the most virtuous way to achieve that next echelon of leadership. The Navy is a melting pot of cultures and personalities in which I encounter on a daily basis. Working together with a various community has taught me no matter how diverse people are or what the situation may be, the mission will get completed.

In my first tour of duty I served on board the USS Essex (LHD 2) stationed in Sasebo, Japan. Having being a part of the forward deployed Naval forces in the Seventh Fleet as my first command helped me shape up quickly as a junior Airman. With always being deployed, it was almost effortless to obtain qualifications in anything desired. While time progressed on board I adapted to my profession and achieved many qualifications, fueling my passion for the Navy. Having a supportive chain of command they sent me to specialize in crash and salvage. Gaining the knowledge and experience I was soon able to reach the position of crash crew leader, in which I was in charge of six crew members. If an aircraft casualty were to happen, as a crew leader, my crewmen have to put their trust in me that I will direct them the right way for the survival of the aircrew and themselves. After completing three honorable years overseas in Japan I then transferred to San Diego, California where I served on the USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6). The work ethic of Sailors in Japan compared to those in San Diego vary, which helped fluctuate my versatility to situational awareness. Within the two years of serving on board LHD 6 I picked up rank and received endorsements through evaluation reports to STA-21. During this tour of duty in California I learned that there will be situations that challenge my character to which I must address. How I deal with these situations determine the outcome to what type of leader I shape myself to be.

The United States Naval Officer is a symbol of strength and courage, in which that person must be willing to rise up to any challenge. My chain of command views me as an excelling leader, and I hold the position as a primary fitness representative. Being a member of the United States military, I firmly believe that in order to maintain physical combat readiness every service member must put an effort towards their fitness. With that being said I took it upon myself to study and receive a personal training certification. Having that certification I currently instruct numerous fitness classes after hours to offer every service member that additional option to improve themselves. Starting the program was not an easy task, but having support from the command as a whole while using the Navy’s core values of courage and commitment made me determined to overcoming this obstacle. I believe that even in times of hardship I must be courageous to stand up for what is right and commit to the challenges in order for me to succeed at the mission.

As an aspiring Naval Officer my intuitive knowledge assists me with every task I complete. Creative minds are rare to come along and I believe that my versatility to various situations would help me in any target group of the seaman to admiral program. I plan on taking my college career path to receive my bachelor’s degree in computer science; a field in which I have always had an interest in. Furthermore, achieving my masters and ultimately attaining a doctorate. My grandfather always told me that higher education is something I shouldn’t take for granted. The United States Navy is a career where I see myself pursuing every possible ambition. I have that burning desire to make a better person out of myself and for the Navy.

Being a crew leader in a dynamic atmosphere, I have become cultured that one-hundred percent focus is an obligation. In addition, thriving in a profession with much risk has placed me in situations many people could not fathom. With that said, being a Naval Officer interests me because not only have I lead the finest, but have learned from the elite as well. As a patriot to my country I strongly believe that being versatile is a must, therefore volunteering for services outside of the command give me opportunity for growth and expansion. The STA-21 program gives me an opening to reinvent myself and if accepted I will dedicate myself unconditionally as a new generation Naval Officer.

sunowl

SNFO
Here's the first draft of my Personal Statement; it's a little thrown together and nebulous, so I sincerely appreciate any feedback to improve it. (Especially in where to cut back; it exceeds 400 words...)

As I neared my senior year of college, I began to critically examine what I wanted to look back on later in life. My mind rebelled against the idea of a career focused on earning money and working for a company whose cause I did not wholeheartedly share. But when I thought about what I—and not just those around me—did respect, I realized that the people I respected the most were in the military, and that I wanted to seek a chance to serve our country's cause alongside them.

It was my journey up until that point that reinforced this realization. Eager to make the best of the opportunity I'd been given, I began college searching for growth and challenge. I opted to take the hardest classes, knowing that I would only truly benefit from courses that pulled me out of my comfort zone and force me to improve further. Joining the campus chapter of Intervarsity Christian Fellowship, because of my commitment to the cause and members, I took on leadership roles wherever I found them. I worked with the other Core Leaders to coordinate and execute our weekly large group meeting, and also lead a weekly small group Bible study. I lead others by example and through the intensity and sincerity of my actions, never opting for the easier jobs and acting for the good of the group rather than on behalf of myself.

Following my graduation, seeking a career in the United States Navy began to repeatedly come to the forefront of my mind, where it still is today. For one, it represents serving a cause very close to my heart; being the child of an immigrant I have been instilled with a profound thankfulness for being born and raised in America, and an appreciation of those who have served in order to preserve our nation and her people. And especially after studying abroad in Japan, forging bonds through mutual values and interests, I have a desire to not only protect America but also stand firm with our allies across the world against any aggressors who threaten peace and freedom.

Secondly, a career as a naval officer represents a challenge unlike any other; one that would force me to push me to my limits just to survive, and to break my limits to exceed. I see such a way of life as a multifaceted challenge; an Officer must be ready to do many jobs and take on different roles simultaneously. Such a way of life would provide me an opportunity to use and improve all the skills and ambitions I have fostered, as well as work with and learn from some of the best men and women our country has to offer.

Menchu Madriaga

Can someone please look at my son's Personal Statement for STA-21? He sent it to me to look at but I thought I might as well go straight to the experts. Thank you in advance!

<<As they say, there is no such thing as a perfect life. Be that as it may, I have yet to stop trying to achieve that “perfection.” I strongly believe this aspiration drives me to move forward, to see if I have truly done my best.

I was taught that hard work and perseverance are the keys in getting me to where I want to be. From Little League to Varsity Football, from pre-kindergarten all through high school, I have applied this principle which provided that extra spark that always made me feel a winner. Finding joy in giving, I actively participated in many community-based programs including volunteer work at a hospital, the local church and non-profit organizations.

I continued my education at the University of California-Irvine to study Biological Sciences. The current state of the nation gave me pause, however. I wanted to be able to do more, both for my family and for others, without having to juggle several part-time jobs and school. That was when the US Navy beaconed to me. I grew up surrounded with relatives serving the Navy and my strong bonds with them greatly influenced my decision to enlist. They exemplified the leadership and independence that I craved to achieve; their mere presence in my life helped shape who I am today.

As I go through my nuclear training, I am more convinced that I made a very good decision, further fueling my goal for perfection. The program taught me an increased ability to focus, learn effectively and stay determined to succeed. I was chosen as A-School Honorman, as well as the Class Honorman in my Power School Class. I am especially proud to be Class Fitness Leader. It not only gave me the opportunity to help those who were having difficulties with the PFA, but also the chance to hone my leadership skills.

The experiences shared by my instructors inspire me to work hard and be all that I can be. It is my conviction that becoming an Officer will provide me with more tools to be able to serve my country at my highest potential. I would like to further my knowledge in Nuclear Propulsion and the Seaman to Admiral Program will give me the ability to do just that. After the STA-21, I personally want to take the SWO route so I can experience a sea tour and thus exposing me to the demands of being an Officer prior to more technical, nuclear-related training. This experience would further train me to be an effective leader.

Determination, perseverance and leadership are qualities I will continue to contribute to the Navy as an Officer. I will perform my job with honor and integrity, maintaining my commitment to the Navy to ensure the safety of the ship and crew before myself. Given this opportunity via the Seaman to Admiral Program allows me to believe the words of Admiral Boorda: “People should have the opportunity to excel, and be all that they can be, even if they don’t get a perfect or traditional start.”>>

sunowl

SNFO
Can someone please look at my son's Personal Statement for STA-21? He sent it to me to look at but I thought I might as well go straight to the experts. Thank you in advance!

I'm no expert and just came here to post an extra paragraph for my motivational statement, but your son's statement looks fantastic, Menchu. It really seems to reflect someone who is has proven himself as an exemplary yet humble servant of our country.

-

My recruiter suggested that I add a part to my motivational statement about why I want to go NFO. What do you guys think of this?

In particular, I am interested in becoming an NFO because such a career strikes me as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to work in a unique Navy community that embodies why I want to become a naval officer: it's a challenge on the academic, physical, and leadership fronts, and definitely something to write home about. With my adaptability, competitiveness, and passion for success, I believe I could be a talented and dedicated NFO.

Should I be more specific? I don't have my private pilot's license or a WW2 flying ace grandpa or anything, but I want to get across my potential and interest to the board.

Cam Boehme

Men, I have been reading many of these post and I do appreciate them very much. This is my first draft of my motivational statement. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks men!

As a youth I was able to participate in the Boy Scouts of America program. Boy Scouts live by an oath, promising to do their best and fulfill their duty to God and country, and to keep the highest set of moral standards. I worked diligently and eventually achieved my Eagle Scout award. Throughout scouting and my adolescent years, I was able to serve in leadership positions in my scout troop as well as my church youth programs. These opportunities to lead my fellow friends and classmates in adventures formed the foundations of leadership within me and helped to establish my individual philosophy of leadership.
My life experiences continued as I decided to volunteer for my church for two years and serve the people of the Russian Federation. After living in Russia for a year and a half, I was asked to fulfill a position as a leader over 14 other service missionaries in a far removed city. As missionaries were checking in late in the evening on New Year’s, I noticed that two men had not checked back in reporting their status for the day. New Years is a very dangerous time for foreigners in Russia with altercations occurring regularly. I quickly grew concerned for their safety and after many attempts to contact them felt that I needed to travel to their apartment in hopes of finding them there. This experience taught me how to look at a situation, understand the consequences, and act decisively. After finding the missionaries safe in their apartment, it also gave me an opportunity to teach and help others understand the importance of guidelines and procedures. Upon returning from my service mission in Russia, I was grateful to throw myself into my education and extracurricular activities
I was excited to receive a nomination to serve in an ambassador position for my college and recruit undergraduate students to study along with me at Arizona State University. This opportunity gave me the chance to associate with many individuals from various backgrounds and serve as a mentor in their learning experience. I was also able to resume coaching an individual in tennis, and eventually helped her achieve athletic goals that she had set for herself. The time I had working with new students in the ambassador program at ASU and coaching my tennis student taught me to expect great things from people. I had to communicate well and help my mentees and tennis student understand what expectations and goals I had for them. I helped them to begin the journey towards reaching those goals, and they were able to put forth the effort needed to achieve them. I have learned that as a man I can always find a way to give more, and as a leader I have helped many find the strength to give more than they thought was able.
During the last years of college, I began working for the Forest Service as a field technician. With a group of resource specialists, I would often travel to very remote locations in extreme weather and terrain. I am the only individual in my group that is native to the Southwest; because of this I have experienced and learned things that my coworkers have not. On one occasion as we began a 15 mile backpacking trek in the spring time, we entered a canyon where recent snow fall had occurred. As I looked at the terrain and also towards the skies, I knew that the weather was going to quickly change and drop in temperature. Although I was the most junior employee on the expedition, I needed to help my coworkers understand the gravity of being caught on a mountain slope with probable high winds and snow. We quickly discussed the situation and our options and decide to find shelter and wait till weather improved.
I understand that as an Ensign in the United States Navy I will be learning continuously. I will be given resources in commanding officers, other junior officers, as well as my subordinates, many of which have been working in departments for years. I know that a wise leader will take council with men and women that have more experience and insight. Then once the situation is clearly understood, it is my responsibility to act and carry the charge for those actions.
It was in Russia that I began to seriously consider serving in the military. I saw the differences between Russia and the United States and felt an overwhelming sense of pride to call myself a citizen of the United States of America. I knew that our country had many advantages and opportunities that others did not, and I also knew that these blessings came with a price. The United States is in need of men and women of integrity that are willing to sacrifice and give back to the nation that has given them so much.
I have prepared myself physically, mentally, and morally to become a successful officer in the United States Navy. I have worked diligently throughout my life and have been awarded for my endeavors and my academic accomplishments. In each of my leadership positions I have felt very much the burden of that responsibility and understood with prowess the implications that my decisions could have on other men. I have shown you a few examples of my personal philosophy of leadership. As with all of my endeavors, I approach becoming an officer in the United States Navy with soberness and a large sense of pride. I am committed to serving this great country with all my heart, might, and strength.

exNavyOffRec

I'm no expert and just came here to post an extra paragraph for my motivational statement, but your son's statement looks fantastic, Menchu. It really seems to reflect someone who is has proven himself as an exemplary yet humble servant of our country.

-

My recruiter suggested that I add a part to my motivational statement about why I want to go NFO. What do you guys think of this?

Should I be more specific? I don't have my private pilot's license or a WW2 flying ace grandpa or anything, but I want to get across my potential and interest to the board.

Are you only applying for NFO, and if you say that is the only thing you want to do what is the board going to think knowing that people lose aviation spots due to various reasons, should you get redesignated are you going to be a disgruntled former aviator like most people have seen.

exNavyOffRec

Here's the first draft of my Personal Statement; it's a little thrown together and nebulous, so I sincerely appreciate any feedback to improve it. (Especially in where to cut back; it exceeds 400 words...)

If you are looking at an application with a 400 word limit you have the old one, the one we have been using for over a year says "limited to visible area", so if you use really long words, you may only get 400, but if not don't worry about it. I had a person just picked up IW and they filled out the entire space with a statement full of substance.

sunowl

SNFO
Are you only applying for NFO, and if you say that is the only thing you want to do what is the board going to think knowing that people lose aviation spots due to various reasons, should you get redesignated are you going to be a disgruntled former aviator like most people have seen.

Thank you for reading and giving feedback.

I am applying for other designators as well and see them as equally good opportunities as NFO; my main goal is to be a naval officer. If I couldn't go aviation it wouldn't be the end of the world, just a different path. I will see if I can add something to get this across.

jarc

Hi guys, I'm new here and currently trying to get feedback on my statement. Would anyone be willing to proofread it through PM? Thanks a lot!

estreet36

Would be grateful if anyone can provide feedback through a PM. I am having some trouble in particular with the introduction. Let me know if I can PM it to you. Thanks very much.

USN1855

Hi all, I submitting to boards and just finished my motivational statement. I have looked at it over and over...starting to think that I am over thinking it. Any feedback would be great...thank you!
I am American. I pledge allegiance to the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands. Being an officer for the U.S. Navy is ultimately a career path I have decided to dedicate my life to as a celebration of my freedoms and as pride for my country, my family, and myself. Speaking through President John F. Kennedy’s words, “[I am the] new generation of American— born in this century, tempered by war, disciplined by a hard and bitter peace, proud of our ancient heritage, and unwilling to witness or permit the slow undoing of those human rights to which this nation has always been committed, and to which we are committed today at home and around the world.” I hold myself firmly to the words of Kennedy that to assure the survival and the success of liberty it is necessary to give up anything, hold any burden, pay any price, meet any hardship, support any friend, and oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
A career in the armed forces has been a long-term aspiration of mine. My grandfather served honorably as a hospital corpsman in the U.S. Navy and was honored with the legit of merit for his service during World War Two, and my uncle served the next generation of U.S. sailors. It was their stories and pride that sparked my interests in serving in the U.S. Navy, and the terrorist attacks of September 11th that took those interests and turned them into the beginning of my path to becoming a naval officer. Like many Americans, I woke up to the upsetting re-runs of two airliners crashing into the World Trade Center’s Twin Towers. Within two hours, both towers had collapsed, and images of more attacks on our nation flooded the screens of every television. The tragic attacks brought an end to the optimism and feelings of security that marked the first eleven years of my life. I went from being a member of the so-call pampered millennial generation to the rude awakening of being a member of the generation 9/11. Nevertheless, in reaction to September 11th, I found myself overwhelmed with patriotism and civically inclined to contribute to my community and country. I, however, was only eleven years old at the time of the attacks. The most I could do for my community and country was to begin preparing myself to be an officer in the U.S. Navy, mentally and physically, as a scholar, leader, and overall as an individual.
My dedication to serve and support the United States and my passions for government and sciences led me to my undergraduate studies in Forensic Science with a concentration in Biology and a minor in Chemistry. I acquired a wide range of investigation, biological, and chemical knowledge and skills as well as honing my passion and interests in national security, continuity of government, and civil and criminal rights. As an undergraduate, I was honored as a Dean Scholar, Daniel P. Lomio scholarship recipient, San Jose State University’s General scholarship recipient, and as a Research Security Administrators scholarship recipient. I held leadership positions in three student organizations, including my university’s chapter of the National Criminal Justice Honor Society, Alpha Phi Sigma. I graduated in three years at the top of my class and with the highest grade point average of the graduates in my program.
After achieving my bachelors degree, I began working with the Department of Energy’s Lawrence Berkeley National Lab as a Scientific Safety Analyst and was later selected to be an intern with the Executive Office of the President at the White House. As an emergency management and physical security affiliate with the White House, I worked within a team of specialists from the Secret Service, White House Military Office, Executive Office of the President components and other federal partners all with one goal: protect national security, sensitivity of information, and the safety individuals. My professional experiences at the Department of Energy and at the White House allowed me to further prepare myself for the U.S. Navy by During my time at the White House, I was also reminded me of my pride of being American. I was marveled by the history that had take place within its walls. I walked through rooms that once housed the Department of the Navy, sat at the desk of sixteen former Secretaries of the Navy, and stood at the state arrival ceremony watching the presentation of the five branches of the U.S. armed forces with their colors and listening to Star-Spangled Banner played by a military band. My experiences at the White House, reiterated my patriotism and my duty to serve my country, because I am American.
I am American is a powerful statement to make and so many people in the United States make this statement, but what does it mean? The definition of being American to me is found in the Declaration of Independence, where being American has honored me with the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. To me the answer is also found in the Constitution. Being an American means trusting in the establishment of our Constitution "...to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity..." To be an American is to share a common belief in and defense of the rights of man. Being American is defending and prolonging the legacy of our founding fathers. It means that we cannot tolerate attacks against our people or our country by any evil in the world. It is the understanding that we must execute justice against all those responsible for acts of terrorism against America such as the heinous acts committed on September 11, 2001. It means supporting and defending democracy both at home and abroad.
My motivation to join the Navy evolved from my understanding on what it means to say I am American. I am committed to my responsibilities to defend against all enemies, foreign and domestic; however, I also wish to do so among a team and as a leader of that team. I place high value upon my own character traits and life experiences to assist me in fulfilling my true potential as an officer. I know there is a lot that I can bring to the U.S. Navy, and I am ready to serve.