• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Most Advanced Private Airforce.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
See previous post about the USAF using F-35 in an adversary role.
I caught it. Doesn't "you have never had" imply the past tense?

Obviously, having even early lot F-35s as red air would prove very valuable to training. But for now, it is just a proposal. I'll bet it won't happen. Hope it does. But the military has had similar options in the past and it never happened. Seriously, cuz I wouldn't know details, why now? Never happened before because of money. We have a new pot of money or is there another reason it might happened now?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I caught it. Doesn't "you have never had" imply the past tense?

Obviously, having even early lot F-35s as red air would prove very valuable to training. But for now, it is just a proposal. I'll bet it won't happen. Hope it does. But the military has had similar options in the past and it never happened. Seriously, cuz I wouldn't know details, why now? Never happened before because of money. We have a new pot of money or is there another reason it might happened now?
It’s happening right now at Nellis. They just aren’t calling it the 65th. F-35s already fly red air for USAF WS Integration Phase. So, my friend, I have already had.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The USAF plan of using low lot F-35s as aggressors instead of modding them to block 3 had a lot of merit.
@Brett327 Thanks for the update. Then why this comment? Doesn't sound like it was a current operation. If they are not the 65th TFS then who/what are they? If they are not dedicated red air F-35s then I stand by my comment. I was talking about dedicated units like the 65th, VMFAT-401 or VFC-13. Really am trying to learn here.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@Brett327 Thanks for the update. Then why this comment? Doesn't sound like it was a current operation. If they are not the 65th TFS then who/what are they? If they are not dedicated red air F-35s then I stand by my comment. I was talking about dedicated units like the 65th, VMFAT-401 or VFC-13. Really am trying to learn here.
They're USAF "fleet" squadrons that participate in the event. Red air is an activity. An aggressor squadron, like the 65th will be, specializes in providing dedicated red air support. So, the bottom line is, you don't need a 5th Gen aggressor squadron to have a 5th Gen red air presentation. Fun fact: Growlers also fly red air support - both in a traditional fighter role, and to provide red EA. FWIW, the hoops that USAF is having to jump through for the 65th are not unusual - very similar to what Whidbey had to do to get additional squadrons and airframes based there. The guys at USAF AWC in Nellis, that I spend two months per year with, all expect the 65th to move forward. Now you know what I know. :D

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They're USAF "fleet" squadrons that participate in the event. Red air is an activity. An aggressor squadron, like the 65th will be, specializes in providing dedicated red air support. So, the bottom line is, you don't need a 5th Gen aggressor squadron to have a 5th Gen red air presentation. Fun fact: Growlers also fly red air support - both in a traditional fighter role, and to provide red EA. FWIW, the hoops that USAF is having to jump through for the 65th are not unusual - very similar to what Whidbey had to do to get additional squadrons and airframes based there. The guys at USAF AWC in Nellis, that I spend two months per year with, all expect the 65th to move forward. Now you know what I know. :D
Thanks much. But I don't think I know what you do ?. Fun fact. We used War Hoovers for red air couple times late 80s early 90s. Airwing Training Officers got together with the Fallon gurus and formulated an evolution where the War Hoovers presented a low slow high turn rate target for the pointy nose kids to look down at and get the shot. Of course the ultimate result was known. It was more like learning to get it done as quickly and efficiently as possible so you didn't have to bingo over a grape. Don't know the details. I wasn't a training dude and never flew one of the sorties.