• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mosin Nagant

Bevo16

pilot
I just got off the phone with my dad. He was cleaning out the closet at our house and came across the guns that my grandfather brought back from the war. One of them is a Mosin Nagant that is in mint condition. It is stamped with the date 1945, and has a Soviet Hammer and Sickle on it.

Now I have another rifle to buy ammo for. It's 7.52xwhat?

Thanks.

sickboy

pilot
I just got off the phone with my dad. He was cleaning out the closet at our house and came across the guns that my grandfather brought back from the war. One of them is a Mosin Nagant that is in mint condition. It is stamped with the date 1945, and has a Soviet Hammer and Sickle on it.

Now I have another rifle to buy ammo for. It's 7.52xwhat?

Thanks.

7.62x54

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Just got back from the shop. Bought an octagonal receiver one for $99 and 440 rounds for $90. Unfortunatly the great state of criminois has a 1 day wait for rifles. They had Mausers for $250... is this a pretty good deal?

invictus

$250 is a great price, if the Mausers have nazi markings on them. There were a whole bunch of captured Mauser K98's imported from Russia over the past 10-15 years. These rifles were part of a Soviet make-work project from the 1950's, where piles of rifle parts were marked rather crudely with new numbers using electric engraver, and then re-assembled into complete rifles.
Most, or all of these rifles are without cleaning rod or front sight shroud.
-Still, a great buy, if the bore looks good.

wrecklessfool

just slackin...
Like some others already pointed out, be aware of the barrel dimensions at the throat and the muzzle. Many Mosins are cursed with sewer pipes for barrels due to the only ammo available being corrosive. Check the bore for pitting and the like before purchase. Even if you get one with a nasty bore, it will still be a fun gun to shoot for a relatively low price compared to more conventional chamberings like .308, 30-06, and .223. Make sure you find one with a decent barrel and you should be set. ALWAYS clean the rifle directly after shooting to keep it from being attacked by corrosion.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Like some others already pointed out, be aware of the barrel dimensions at the throat and the muzzle. Many Mosins are cursed with sewer pipes for barrels due to the only ammo available being corrosive. Check the bore for pitting and the like before purchase. Even if you get one with a nasty bore, it will still be a fun gun to shoot for a relatively low price compared to more conventional chamberings like .308, 30-06, and .223. Make sure you find one with a decent barrel and you should be set. ALWAYS clean the rifle directly after shooting to keep it from being attacked by corrosion.

I put 80 rounds through it on Saturday. The one I got is from 1927, which means it's either an ex-dragoon or a prototype 91/30. The barrel was in outstanding shape. I live in Illinois so there aren't that many ranges around, the only one that allows rifles is only 50 ft, but I could tell it was in good shape... it shot nice groups.

You guys weren't lying about the recoil, my shoulder has some bruising on it, but it wasn't that bad. These things certainly weren't made for comfort. I don't have any clips so I loaded each round individually and burned my thumb on the metal every time I put one in.

When I was done I Windex'd the bolt and barrel, went home, poured some hot water mixed with dish cleaning fluid through the barrel, on the metal, and on the disassembled bolt, then cleaned like I normally would with some special attention given to the barrel.

This rifle is definitely a good deal, so is the ammo. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving side of a Mosin.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
$250 is a great price, if the Mausers have nazi markings on them. There were a whole bunch of captured Mauser K98's imported from Russia over the past 10-15 years. These rifles were part of a Soviet make-work project from the 1950's, where piles of rifle parts were marked rather crudely with new numbers using electric engraver, and then re-assembled into complete rifles.
Most, or all of these rifles are without cleaning rod or front sight shroud.
-Still, a great buy, if the bore looks good.

I called up and unfortunately my dealer sold the ones I was looking at. I think I'm going to try and build my own AR instead.

ASCzero

I have a MN 91/30 and it was cheap and shoot so for the money you can beat it , the 7.62x54 r is a powerfull round ive read stories of guys using this rifle to hunt bear and elk . there is also some cool stuff you can do with it like buying a composite stock that utilises just the reciever , and barrell and replaces all the wood .

Redux

Mosin is as ugly as an Enfield where as the Mauser is almost as pretty and and precise as a Springfield. All great weapons for being over 100 years old, for 80 bucks Id have one as a club but it's low on my personal pecking order. I just don't like the feel or looks of the action but to each their own and what the wallet permits.