• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mortgages

Pilot123

pilot
Anyone have suggestions on who to go with try to get a mortgage? Experiences? Good? Bad? Ugly? Suggestions?
Thanks!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I used USAA. No problems. Had Countrywide before that.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I just got mine a few months ago from Countrywide. Their deal beat USAA's and USAA even told me to go with COuntrywide when they couldn't match it.

Use a USAA Mover's Advantage realtor. It doesn't cost you anything and you get a kick back from USAA when you close. I think mine was $1200.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone have any info on the no downpayment loans from the V.A.?

Yes, our first home was a VA loan and you end up paying a 1.5% loan origination fee....but it's rolled up into the loan.

Compared to my recent conventional loan from NFCU, the VA loan was somewhat painful, paperwork wise. Some sellers will refuse to accept a VA loan because the inspections are paid for by the seller and the inspections are very meticulous.

-ea6bflyr ;)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Use a USAA Mover's Advantage realtor. It doesn't cost you anything and you get a kick back from USAA when you close. I think mine was $1200.

+1 to HAL ^^^

During our recent move to PCOLA, we used the USAA program and got a nice kickback at the end. Our Realtor was top notch and it was a great experience. I'd highly recommend either the USAA program or the NFCU program.

-ea6bflyr ;)

snake020

Contributor
Just beware that some of the realtors through the USAA program may not be doing you any favors when it comes to closing. Two years after buying my house and getting ready to rent it out my property manager who is also a realtor did a courtesy review of the sale and pointed out various costs in which he thinks the realtor could have negotiated much better to get the seller to have paid, but in my inexperience as a first time home buyer I wouldn't have known any better.

His other POV was he gets business based on his high reputation and word of mouth as opposed to having to pay USAA for customers.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I've used Navy Fed twice and have been very happy. I use USAA for everything else but thought that their mortages were a pain in the ass and not worth it. I'll give them another look next time after reading this, though. I love USAA overall.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just beware that some of the realtors through the USAA program may not be doing you any favors when it comes to closing. Two years after buying my house and getting ready to rent it out my property manager who is also a realtor did a courtesy review of the sale and pointed out various costs in which he thinks the realtor could have negotiated much better to get the seller to have paid, but in my inexperience as a first time home buyer I wouldn't have known any better.

His other POV was he gets business based on his high reputation and word of mouth as opposed to having to pay USAA for customers.

Realtors work for the seller, not the buyer - caveat emptor.

Brett

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Does anyone here have an opinion on puchasing a house in Meridian vs renting one? How easy is it to maintain renters in that town etc? Im going to be living with one or two other roomates and was contemplating a purchase and then renting after I leave.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Does anyone here have an opinion on puchasing a house in Meridian vs renting one? How easy is it to maintain renters in that town etc? Im going to be living with one or two other roomates and was contemplating a purchase and then renting after I leave.

Probably not too bad, although you have to ask yourself a few questions:

What if SNAs there are forced to occupy base housing (a la Whiting). Maybe Meridian doesn't have base housing, who knows.

What about if meridian gets BRACed and is gone? How likely would you be to rent it out to non-Navy folks?

Not gonna get braced? That's ridiculous? I'm sure folks in Beeville though that base would last forever too...

My personal belief is that I'm not going to buy a house in a place where I couldn't rent it if it wasn't for the navy.... just me.

Crowbar

None
I had two good experiences with Wachovia and will probably call them first when I'm ready to buy my next house.

ThreeGreen

pilot
99% of realtors work for themselves first. Caveat emptor is right…

It sounds like you have several good lending choices here. Coming from a family that has developed land and built homes for over 30 years, it has been my experience that you should stay far away from Wells Fargo. They are routinely a pain to deal with.