• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

More SA in the crapper at a controlled field

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Holy shite! That is frightening how professional pilots could get so confused. The only incursions I had was on my PPL checkride when I was taxiing to the active and some assclown in a mooney taxied off the active and without stopping passed right in front of me (within 50 feet). Needless to say He got an asschewing. Also had an idiot looking for a taxiway almost turn onto the active runway I was landing on when I was on short final because he thought it was his taxiway. Asschewing ensued. Amazing how badly people lose SA.

usmcecho4

pilot
Agreed, US Air saved the day on that one. Scarry how tower told US Air that United wasn't anyway near the runway.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Agreed, US Air saved the day on that one. Scarry how tower told US Air that United wasn't anyway near the runway.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

One would hope/think the tower controller would be able to see the active rwy before issuing T/O clearances. Was this at night, or broad daylight?

Brett

Junior

pilot
One would hope/think the tower controller would be able to see the active rwy before issuing T/O clearances. Was this at night, or broad daylight?

Brett
It said a foggy night on the video. Great judgement call by that pilot.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
This has happened dozens (?) of times to me in civie street. Anyone flying in/out of places like JFK, NYC, ORD, DEN, LAX, DFW, SFO, HKG, just to name a few, has experienced this. Sometimes you HAVE to say "STOP! ENOUGH!!" ... and I have.

The alternative is a potential disaster.

Once @ LAX, I had to pull over and request a discrete frequency with a controller and a supervisor so I could ream out the controller who was severly F-ed up. She got two weeks off .... :)

Another time @ MSP ... I witnessed a DC-10 take-off OVER another DC-10 by rotating early as the second -10 crossed the duty runway (as instructed by ATC -ground/tower -- it was dark) .... had the 1st pilot not rotated early --- something like 500 people could have died.

It happens. Be alert, always.

You are responsible at the end of the day. You MUST keep your head on a swivel, your eyes and ears open, and KEEP THINKING!!!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
It was a foggy night at TF Green in Providence, RI.

For those of y'all coming down to P-Cola for API, you'll get a pretty detailed account of this incident during the CRM briefs and also during safety standdowns if they decide to do a runway incursion brief.

I

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
It was a foggy night at TF Green in Providence, RI.

For those of y'all coming down to P-Cola for API, you'll get a pretty detailed account of this incident during the CRM briefs and also during safety standdowns if they decide to do a runway incursion brief.

I

I knew I'd heard this before.

d00002

This has happened dozens (?) of times to me in civie street.

Another time @ MSP ... I witnessed a DC-10 take-off OVER another DC-10 by rotating early as the second -10 crossed the duty runway (as instructed by ATC -ground/tower -- it was dark) .... had the 1st pilot not rotated early --- something like 500 people could have died.

You are responsible at the end of the day. You MUST keep your head on a swivel, your eyes and ears open, and KEEP THINKING!!!

That's my home airport, I 'think' we have a nearly flawless safety record out of MSP.

GroundPounder

I have less experience than the majority of those on these boards, all on the civilian side, so take what I have to say with that in mind.

That being said, Always remember that when your're the PIC its up to you to ensure that your flight ends safely, had 2998 gone ahead with his take off it would have been him ( as well as everyone on board ) that paid the price, not the ground controller.