• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

More restricted use H-60's for civilian use coming soon

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
There has to be a metric shitload of -60As about to hit the streets. Good news if you got that S-70 type rating!

speedroller

Rangers
I work with one of the companies listed in the article, first time I saw the UH-60 sitting in their hangar I almost fell over.

BleedGreen

pilot
Brainerd has been flying the firehawks for close to a decade now but they acquired there's through some loop hole. They purchased them from the Hong Kong government around 2005 and have been flying them since.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
CalFire flies them as well, but not sure how those came about.

BleedGreen

pilot
Those ones are operated by LA County, Cal Fire only flies the Bell205 A++. To put it simply, LA County is allowed to operate them because they're technically owned by the government and not a private entity (to put it simply).

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
Those ones are operated by LA County, Cal Fire only flies the Bell205 A++. To put it simply, LA County is allowed to operate them because they're technically owned by the government and not a private entity (to put it simply).

Makes sense. They look like -60As, but I'd believe it if you told me they were purpose built by Sikorsky for them.

users%5C1288%5C1280_0006075.jpg

BleedGreen

pilot
I'm assuming its under the same rules as to why the USFS can operate old Cobra's in a fire support role.
Usfs-b209-N109Z-071023-fox-02-16.jpg

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've never really been clear on why it's taken so long for the Hawk to be approved for a civilian market. It's been flying for over 30 years now. It's a utility helicopter, not a gunship. What's the rationale?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've never really been clear on why it's taken so long for the Hawk to be approved for a civilian market. It's been flying for over 30 years now. It's a utility helicopter, not a gunship. What's the rationale?

Isn't this about former US military H-60's and not the civilian version, the S-70? I think the S-70 can be bought no problems, it is the release of the old H-60's people are excited about (cheap ex-mil H-60's are a lot cheaper than S-70's).

BleedGreen

pilot
The way the guys at Brainerd explained it to me is that Sikorsky is not allowed to sell a civilian version because it is supposed to be exclusively used for military or government operations. That's why Brainerd is the only private corporation to own them, because they acquired them from a foreign government.
don't we have similiar rules in place for other platforms the military still operates? The same reason some Saudi prince who has more money than he knows what to do with can't just go buy an F/A 18.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The way the guys at Brainerd explained it to me is that Sikorsky is not allowed to sell a civilian version because it is supposed to be exclusively used for military or government operations. That's why Brainerd is the only private corporation to own them, because they acquired them from a foreign government.
don't we have similiar rules in place for other platforms the military still operates? The same reason some Saudi prince who has more money than he knows what to do with can't just go buy an F/A 18.

I get that military aircraft have to be approved for civilian sale. What I don't get is why it's taken this long for the H-60 to be approved.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
The Davis-Monthan boneyard has a few rows of old Seahawks (mostly B and F series). Few rows = 100-200 birds. Come to think of it though, I don't remember seeing any A or L series.

RiseR 25

I get that military aircraft have to be approved for civilian sale. What I don't get is why it's taken this long for the H-60 to be approved.

I may be able to answer some questions regarding that. The rotorcraft directorate is close to my office, which probably handled that TC validation process.