• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

More API questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
1.Both snfo/sna learn to fly the T-34 correct?

2.What is life like at API. Is it either flying, classroom, studying, or sleeping? What about weekend free time? Any of this at all? I have the cockpit pic of the T-34 on my desktop wallpaper, and it looks like there's a lot to learn. I dont see how having a PPL couldn't help you when you get to API? Any thoughts?

3.If married, do you have time to see your spouse? Do most sna/snfo's bring their spouses with them?

4.Is every flight school (Primary, Interm, Adv) just as hard as the one before or do they get progrssively harder?

That's about all I can think of for now. Thanks for any replies.

Semper FI

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Yes, both will start training on the T-34, unless you go to Vance in Enid, OK for Primary.

API is 4 weeks of classroom and lots of studying (I wouldn't expect much, if any, freetime).

It probably won't help you much in API (PPL). The information they teach you is very basic you'll learn it well enough while you are there. Don't sweat it too much. If you put forth the effort to do well, you probably will. It will help some at Primary. I understand that it will help with your situational awareness (looking outside the cockpit more than at the instrument panel). It would also give you a better foundation for what the different instruments do and what they should do. I think it will help overall, not substantially, but enough to at least invest in a few hours of flight time.

I took brought my wife with me to P'cola. At API, you probably won't have a lot of time to spend with her. You should be pretty consumed in studying. But, it helps to have someone at home to go to when the day is done. Also, you can share a lot of the chores and stuff, which would take a load off your back. Mine helped me A LOT with making flash cards and running through them with me.

I think as you progress in training, it gets harder (mind you I'm still in ground school at Primary). But, the accomplishments all become greater. So maybe it evens out in the end? Someone else would be better suited to answer this question for you.

Hope this helps.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Thanks a lot Jboomer. Anyone else out there want to put their two cents in? Thanks.

Semper FI

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
PPL will help a tiny bit in API (Flight Rules & Regs as well as with Nav to a lesser extent). The payoff will be in the early stages in primary where you will have heads up on the folks with zero time. Granted, they will catch up to you, and probably quickly, but if you can bank a bunch of aboves early while they are catching up and not let them pass you when they do catch you, it could be the difference in beating them on the NSS side and you getting what you want.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
NSS side? What do you mean getting what I want? A little confused on the whole picking your aircraft thing? Can someone explain. Thanks.

Semper FI

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
NSS is the grading system that is used in Primary, the overall score you get (max 80) is called your NSS. Run a search on NSS as the keyword, and you will come up with many previous discussions on that topic.

airwinger

pilot
As a happy little API grad, I think the keys to success are
1. learn when you study best and maximize that time. Sounds like college 101, but you'd be surprised how much that applies and helps. Set aside time EVERY night to study
2. Keep up on both the subjects(you do two classes together)
3. USE GOUGE. We had some airforce people(two mechanical Engineers) ignore it and it hurt them
4. Have a study group.
The material isn't hard and if you use time well you'll have pretty free weekends. I went out every friday, saturday spent all day sunday studying and missed a total of 6 questions.
semper fi,
airwinger

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Congrats airwinger. Good study skills have alawys seemed to prevail. Thanks for the info. Semper Fi.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
-Col.3:23-

Rainman

pilot
As far as getting progressively harder--I really don't think primary is any harder than API.

yes, you do a lot more; it's a lot longer; you study a LOT during Fams. . but there is nothing really that difficult. . . Especially when weather and schedulng isn't your friend. . You'll have streaks in primary (most folks) where you have Double Headers every day times five days per week. . but other weeks where you have like two events to prepare for.

API, while a ton to study gets you out of classes between 1300 and 1500, typically with all weekends off. Not such a bad deal either.

You'll find TBS more time consuming than API/Primary in my opinion.

NFOtoBE

VP-5 NFO
As for having your spouse there, mine helped me a lot in API and PRI, like making flash cards and running me through the checklists. Only the SNFO's are allowed to PCS (move your spouse at navy expense)after OCS before starting API/PRI. The SNA's are on TAD orders and cannot move HHG's on the navy's dime.
I think API and PRI are the hardest, a lot of info in a short period of time. INT/ADV (at least for SNFO's in San Antonio going P-3's) is a lot more laid back and slower paced than P'cola was.
Good Luck

Jeff

I wouldnt say flight school gets progressively harder from the aspect that you are always building on what you already know. I think the beginning of primary was the hardest time, seeing how I knew nothing and had no flight time so that was a lot of work. After you learn to fly the plane its just looking at what you already know a little differently. No matter how you look at it though its two years of a lot of hard work.

Kim

The first part of every stage seems to be the hardest (in my opinion) except intermediate. You have to learn an entire aircraft systems, emergencies, and procedures. Each section within the stage tends to take a lot of study time (ie fams, instruments, ect). Basically it comes in waves, so study hard but enjoy your free time. API isn't too bad if you have good study habits from college, and the last two weeks are survival stuff so very little studying (if any). BTW I'm nearing the end of helo training. Good luck. -Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.