• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Monster Marine OCS thread: stupid questions answered here!

Murdoc

It was possible as recently as a year ago, but now with the economy being what it is, don't count on it. That said, even if that wasn't the case, aiming to perform only at the bare minimum level is just setting yourself up for failure.

My goal is 300 but I am going to submit my paperwork when I get past 270. We will see how that works out. Also in my opinion, aiming for the minimum is not in line with any sort of military values. As for the Marines, I am betting on them being a "the best or better is what is required" sort of crowd.

Marinerugby

OCC Class 203, Jan 2010

I am currently waiting to go down to NAS Pensacola for my flight physical, that is all I need in order to officially submit a package. I should be down there Oct 19th-21st. Has everyone else that plans on going in Jan. already received orders, or others still waiting to find out exactly what’s going on as I am.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
I don't know where else to post this but it made me laugh. I was throwing out old potential applicant cards that were rejected for various reasons. One of them was rejected for marijuana use... not just for a dozen or so times, but for 600 times... lol.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I don't know where else to post this but it made me laugh. I was throwing out old potential applicant cards that were rejected for various reasons. One of them was rejected for marijuana use... not just for a dozen or so times, but for 600 times... lol.

He was just using it experimentally. He's very serious about that. After all, he went to the trouble of getting a statiscally significant sample size.

Seriously though, after, say 100 times or so, wouldn't you lose count? He was probably thinking,"Well, every other day for uh...one...no two...no three years....uh...What was the question?"

b0pric01

pilot
LOL yeah, on my application I was honest about past drug use and my OSO asked how many times. I was like, "Uh, seriously?" I ended my affair with marijuana like 5 or 6 years ago and I didn't really keep a tally of how many times. I came up with a pretty reasonable figure though, that I believe was pretty accurate. 600, that's a lot though.

Trev82

pilot
All you guys with 15-17 pullups do yourself a favor and get to 20 once you've made it to 15 there's really no excuse not to pull out that last 5, especially since its worth a good chunk of points for your pft.

I was selected for ground and nfo and decided to turn it down and reapply later and ultimately was selected for pilot. Getting it out of TBS is a pain in the ass because now you have to study your ass off like everyone else competing for an MOS but then your still not likely to get it. I'm not saying i slid through the program because going into the field and getting all the hands on experience was invaluable but a lot of those exams were a pain. I'm not sure on the numbers but there certainly wasnt a lot of slots going around.

Good luck gents, hit me up if you got any specific questions.

kenzie

I have seen the threads that say you can have correctable surgery for your eyes if they can be corrected to 20/20, but does anyone know if having an astigmatism and really, really bad eyes disqualifies you from getting jets, or if you just have to wear glasses. If i got the surgery i dont know if it would be 20/20. I believe someone said something about glasses, but I wasn’t sure.

staff03

How many times a year do marine corps ocs boards meet for the aviation slots? Also, do you apply specifically for a certain position such as pilot/nfo? I have heard conflicting info on when exactly you can specify what you want to do in the corps, in my case pilot or nfo. Thanks

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
How many times a year do marine corps ocs boards meet for the aviation slots? Also, do you apply specifically for a certain position such as pilot/nfo? I have heard conflicting info on when exactly you can specify what you want to do in the corps, in my case pilot or nfo. Thanks

I don't know how many times the board meets.

You can apply for an aviation contract as either a pilot or NFO, in which case you'll be guaranteed the OPPORTUNITY to train to become one of those. Otherwise you'll have a ground contract, which will guarantee you the OPPORTUNITY to throw your hat in the ring for any of the 20-or-so ground officer MOSs in the Corps at the completion of TBS.

I emphasize the word "opportunity" because there's a lot of training and evaluation between signing the contract and becoming a Marine aviator or ground officer. Nonetheless, the basic types of contract are, as indicated above, pilot, NFO, and ground. There's also law, but unless you're already on the path to become a lawyer, that's not something you're in the mix for.

Use the search function and come back with any questions you still have.

staff03

Thanks for the info, I guess I just had some bad gouge about whether or not you applied to marine ocs with a specific mos such as pilot or nfo, similar to how you apply to navy ocs. As I understand it now applying for the two are very similar. But I have also heard about people in TBS competing for a few aviation slots, how come they didn't have their mos right from the beginning?

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Does time on PTAD count as TIS/TIG towards 1st Lt? I know it doesn't count towards your overall contract. When does your time towards 1st Lt actually start (once you commission? PTAD time? once you're at TBS?)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Does time on PTAD count as TIS/TIG towards 1st Lt? I know it doesn't count towards your overall contract. When does your time towards 1st Lt actually start (once you commission? PTAD time? once you're at TBS?)

Once you get commissioned, your clock starts for time in grade. Period. It doesn't matter if you are active duty yet or any status of your training (PTAD, leave, etc.).

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Thanks for the info, I guess I just had some bad gouge about whether or not you applied to marine ocs with a specific mos such as pilot or nfo, similar to how you apply to navy ocs. As I understand it now applying for the two are very similar. But I have also heard about people in TBS competing for a few aviation slots, how come they didn't have their mos right from the beginning?

There are a very small number of aviation slots not already given as pilot/NFO contracts available at MOS selection at TBS. Because the number is so small, those are very competitive slots.