• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Monster Marine OCS thread: stupid questions answered here!

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
25 or 26 it doesn't matter, just be the fastest bald headed freak in a pair of silk shorts that you can be, that's all that matters. Don't go there injured, distracted, or unable to blow the doors off the PFT.

As for studying. 2.0 and go man. Enjoy your time while you can, cause once you are in life is going to change big time. I will promise you that nobody is ever going to ask you what your GPA is ever again unless you do something nutso like NPGS, TPS or heaven forbid MOI.

The real question is the one you haven't asked yet. The real question you have to ask yourself, is do you like your balls sweaty hot and nasty, or frozen, and prune like? If you like hot and nasty, then go for the June class and watch them rott off your body. If you like it cold, then go for the December class and bring a lot of handwarmers to bring the boys back to life.

FLASHBACK Winter 1997: "Balls, meet Mr. Quigly. Mr. Quigly, meet my balls."

If I was you I'd go in the summer and suffer and like it, who knows you might even get the prestigious silver bullet award and some free books from the Marine Corps Association :eek:.

Are you for real?

3P4Life

Local JOPA Union Rep
Are you for real?

I assumed he was talking about Marine OCS not Navy OCS. In which case I stand by my sarcastic but accurate post. Although I think the silver bullet award is still given out even at Navy OCS too, the Marines just fight harder not to get it.

Killer2

TRONS!
None
If you apply for the OCC class that picks up in JAN, but don't get accepted, then you can apply for the one in JUN and not be freaking out as much. You have to decide whats best for you, because you have to live with that decision.

Besides there is no good time to go to Quantico, only a good time to leave. :)

sharp452

Thanks guys,

I know that its ultimately up to me...asking family and friends and they are saying the same thing. That Im packing way to much in a short amount of time. And sooner or later somethings guna give.

I think that I am still guna shoot for the the Jan class in if I dont get selelcted then I can try again for the June class like you guys said. So that way I can finish school, and prepare like theres no tommorow for OCS :)

I do have to agree with Flysupertomcat though on that I am pushing my age limit and I should apply early and as soon as possible.

And as for the weather preference...I like my balls warm and sweaty. :D

CDNGator

Advice on my planned path to OCS

This site serves as an incredible source of information. I have read a lot and learned a lot, however I haven't come across a post that quite helps my situation.

Basically...I just want to FLY! I'm about to finish undergrad in December and preparing to join the Marine Corps. The fact that I'm Canadian sets me back quite a bit. It's another 4 years before I can apply for US citizenship. Officer recruiters don't really care to talk to me for that fact alone. So far I've only been able to get info from enlisted recruiters. From what I've been told and read, all enlisted men, if not yet citizens, have the process expedited. They say within 6-8 months of being enlisted citizenship is granted. (That part I haven't read. Only been told that by a recruiter.) So the recruiter has proposed to go enlisted for now, wait for my citizenship and then apply for OCS right away. So with that info I'm thinking about going reserve while studying for a masters degree. If all goes smoothly I'll have applied for OCS and be ready to leave after I graduate.

I also have a couple other slight hurdles to overcome. My vision is 20/50. But with all that I've read about PRK here I think I should be ok. I'm also highly allergic to fire ants. Before going through MEPS my recruiter said I shouldn't mention it as it's not a big deal. So I listened. I have since learned that Parris Island has a LOT of them! The last thing I would want is to be sent home from boot camp just for that. Someone said look into going to the west coast. Any input?

So far this is the only method I have heard of for eventually getting to OCS. I appreciate all comments and suggestions.

Thanks,

Maine Vaulter

USMC Candidate - Air
Don't eat whatever the recruiter feeds you... I read a few days ago ( I forget where, I'll look for it ) that if you enlist than the process is sped up, but it will still take you between 2 to 4 years to recieve citizenship I wish I could be more specific, but I forgot where I read that info. Long story short don't believe what the recruiter (or I) tell you. Get everything in writing. I almost got screwed over by a recruiter about a year and a half ago when I didn't know much about the Corps.

Just my .02

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
I have no idea if your allergy is officially disqualifying, but if it is not, I would think you have a more realistic shot with the Navy.

Even if you were to go to boot camp on the west coast, which I don't think you can do since it's based on your geographic location when you enlist, you still are ultimately going to have to go through 6, 10, or 12 weeks in the woods of Quantico, VA for OCS and then another 6 months there for TBS. You're bound to encounter fire ants on more than one occasion there I'm sure. I'm not trying to discourage you by any means, just putting that out there.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
From what I've been told and read, all enlisted men, if not yet citizens, have the process expedited. They say within 6-8 months of being enlisted citizenship is granted. (That part I haven't read. Only been told that by a recruiter.)

6-8 months might be what the book says, but it can take longer in practice. During your first few months in the military you will be going to different schools and transferring around the country, you aren't going to have lots of time to devote to this. During the process you have to visit the local INS office to work through issues (switching geographic offices during the process can only slow it down), there are lots of mailings (which with a less than regular address will make them harder to get). Then to top it off, once you deploy the process is effectively frozen.

During my last job in the squadron one of my guys was from Liberia, and he was working through this "streamlined" process. When I took over as Divo, he had already been working on it, and when I left a year later, he was still working on it. We deployed during that year as well.

It wasn't taking him a long time for a lack of effort. On the ship I visited the JAG several times to have them draft letters on his behalf. On shore I drove him to the INS office a couple times. The reason I got so involved is because he kept running into problems that extended the process so much longer than the advertised process was supposed to run.

Hopefully, INS has made it easier since then, I don't know. All that being said, this process is still faster than the normal naturalization process, because there is no 5 year waiting period.

How old are you?

k_smittay

They say within 6-8 months of being enlisted citizenship is granted. (That part I haven't read. Only been told that by a recruiter.) So the recruiter has proposed to go enlisted for now, wait for my citizenship and then apply for OCS right away.

I work with a mexican citizen who has been enlisted for 10 years and he is still trying to get his citizenship. It isn't as easy as you would think.

Do not go enlisted if your goal is to become an officer. Especially when you have a barrier like citizenship slowing you down. You would be better off waiting it out.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
It took about 3 years for one of my sailors to get his citizenship and he got picked up for STA-21 to be a pilot! This guy was an absolute rockstar though.
Why don't you just join the appropriate service in Canada and fly that way?
They have hornets.

CDNGator

My ultimate goal is to, of course, become an officer. I'm only planning on going enlisted for the "streamlined" citizenship process. I looked into flying for Canada but pilots require 20/20 uncorrected vision. I'm 22 years old and would like to get this process started as soon as possible. I talked to a few Air Force recruiters, even though I don't want to go AF, and they heard nothing about enlisted men having their citizenship expedited. I thought that was a little weird.

My little brother is almost finished with USMC basic training. He'll be applying for citizenship as soon as he's out. I'll be able to get some good info from him regarding the process.

About my allergies, I found out that an anaphylactic reaction is a DQ. For example a reaction that causes respiratory problems. Does this mean I'm doomed of becoming a Marine???

Thanks for the input so for!

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
My ultimate goal is to, of course, become an officer. I'm only planning on going enlisted for the "streamlined" citizenship process. I looked into flying for Canada but pilots require 20/20 uncorrected vision. I'm 22 years old and would like to get this process started as soon as possible. I talked to a few Air Force recruiters, even though I don't want to go AF, and they heard nothing about enlisted men having their citizenship expedited. I thought that was a little weird.

My little brother is almost finished with USMC basic training. He'll be applying for citizenship as soon as he's out. I'll be able to get some good info from him regarding the process.

About my allergies, I found out that an anaphylactic reaction is a DQ. For example a reaction that causes respiratory problems. Does this mean I'm doomed of becoming a Marine???

Thanks for the input so for!

It took my family 6-7 years to get citizenship coming from canada. On top of that, getting RID of your canadian citizenship is also a PITA. On top of that, anaphylaxis is an instant DQ for military, if I am not mistaken. So if you have any anaphylaxic shock, you won't be a marine. If you have allergies....that's a different story. Perhaps elaborate and someone can better answer about your allergies.