• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mobilizations, when did you tell your employer?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
The trick is to pick a job in an industry/company where there is so much churn and turnover that you have a 50-50 shot at your boss being gone or moved to another team by the time your orders end.

taxi1

pilot
If you switch careers coming out of a mob, you didn't have a career anyway.
Heh, sort of...

We took guys who couldn't spell drone and turned them into high time operators, thousands of hours of ops time. A lot of them realized it was fun and interesting and they were on the ground floor, and jumped career ships, to mix my metaphors.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Nor was I... I remember emailing my previous boss -- who "suddenly retired" this month after 20+ years -- for clarification on something, and the response, in email, was:

and that is why some larger employers have something called "The Code of Business (Employee) Conduct"

We had a similar situation, after 40+ years my old boss suddenly "retired" for similar, but worse, conduct and language. Guess who took his spot

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Thread drift, but I have jumped careers 3 times (which I guess doesn't make any of them careers?) and am looking at a 4th jump. Because why not.

It's possible to just get bored and want to go play in a new pond.
I’m on career number X as well. Don’t let your boss tell you your career path - choose it for yourself.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nor was I... I remember emailing my previous boss -- who "suddenly retired" this month after 20+ years -- for clarification on something, and the response, in email, was:
The older I get, the more I realize that some people are the way they are partially because they consciously or subconsciously exploit that the legal/career consequences of punching someone in the face are too high.

My dad was an engineer in field service back in the 70s, and told me a story once about a cocky ass who apparently joined the team and quickly got a bad rep for talking down to the pipefitters, welders, and other blue-collar folks onsite. It lasted until some of the blue-collar workers basically took the guy out back and kicked his ass, and I don't mean in a metaphorical sense.

SELRES_AMDO

One of my old bosses was a prime example of someone who knew they couldn't get punched in the face. He was a career GS employee with almost 40 years on the books with the Dept of the Navy. Never served in the military. He looked like a character from revenge of the nerds that aged to his late 50s. He knew he couldn't get fired and was extremely bitter that he never picked up SES.

• His educational qualifications for being such a condescending dick to everyone was a B.S. in math and a NPS MBA. lol.
  • He lacked any sort of people skills.
  • He was extremely condescending to his coworkers and felt he knew more than anyone else. He received multiple HR complaints about how he spoke to people. I once watched an O-6 EDO lay into him for the way he was acting in a meeting.
  • He hated veteran's preference when it came to hiring. When his subordinate hired me he told me almost all vets are underqualified and uneducated when I did my check in interview with him.
  • He once argued with me that there was only one 4 star Admiral in the Navy and stated that just because I'm a reserve Officer it doesn't mean I know about the Navy.
  • Came to work at 5 am and left at 1700. He sat in his office reading the paper most of the day. Had no family, children, or hobbies.

I'm not sure if he is still around. I will say the Navy will be much better off without him.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Had no family, children, or hobbies.
My last two bosses had this “quality” too. Based on their toxic leadership behavior, lack of people skills, knee-jerk inclination to brown nose their bosses/ miscontrue facts to the detriment of their subordinates (not necessarily me), and unrealistic expectations about availability - I have taken it onboard as a complete no-go red flag for me if and when I’m ever interviewing for a next gig.

Pags

N/A
pilot
My last two bosses had this “quality” too. Based on their toxic leadership behavior, lack of people skills, knee-jerk inclination to brown nose their bosses/ miscontrue facts to the detriment of their subordinates (not necessarily me), and unrealistic expectations about availability - I have taken it onboard as a complete no-go red flag for me if and when I’m ever interviewing for a next gig.
Yeah, its something that can go either way. A guy with a bad family situation may just as soon spend all day at work to not go home.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Yeah, its something that can go either way. A guy with a bad family situation may just as soon spend all day at work to not go home.
But at least if you tell him “hey, I have a hard stop in 5 minutes at 1700 to go pick up the kids” he won’t completely steamroll through that comment and continue to lecture you about whatever nonsense makes up his perceived venn diagram-of-life-importance which wholly encircles the job where he works.

SlickAg

pilot
Speaking of mobs, anyone else see the memorandum that the Acting SECNAV put out on the 19th regarding involuntary mobs for IAs?