• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MMA replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
Today at school i was reading in Aviation weekly and space.(i think its the title, cant remeber.)

They had the proposals from boeing and Lockheed to replace the P-3.

They had diagrams of both craft and a summary of how each company was trying to sell it.

Boeing is trying to sell the 737 as a plane with massive replacement parts already manufactured, and its extendable mission role. Something like they could have stations for controlling UAVs. also saying more floor space.

Lockheed has the Orion-21. A really nice new design very similar to P-3.

They had diagrams of the proposed interiors. Next week ill try to get a scan of the pages, no one reads that thing anyways at that school cept me.

The Boeing had more space, but what looked to be a lot of useless things, then again, a crew may love it, somewhere in there it mentioned "Joint" with the AF, so i dont know.

I really didnt have time to read it all, i got the boeing stuff, but didnt get to the Lockheed info.

Both proposed on the site times. Lockheed proposing longer air time, while boeing with the jet engines proposed a better sprint time which would equate to being able to stay over the mission area longer.

I dont know, both had their positives and negatives.

Im biased, i like the Orion 21 better, just off the cuff of looking at the diagrams, i would say the 21 looked more pertinent to the role, but im just armchairing it here.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The decision will be made on the 29th of May. Lockheed's proposal is the same exact airframe as the current P3, updated engines and avionics. Both proposals have a complete revamp of the tube electronics suite. The interior designs are tentative concepts and proposals. UAV is an adjunct seperately funded (BAMS UAV) that could be operated from either platform, if they decided that was necessary. Don't bother scanning them, you can visit the Boeing and Lockheed websites for all that info.

bluesmobile

P-3 copilot
pilot
Is the Navy now fully committed to upgrading the P-3? Or are they still just going over the different options? Last I heard they were looking at the possibilities, but weren't set on any sort of upgrade. Also, what would the timeline be with these proposals (i.e. any idea when they would start getting to the fleet?). Thanks for any info...I'm still trying to figure out where to put P-3's in terms of selection prefs, and I got about three months to decide.

NFOtoBE

VP-5 NFO
They say they will be in the fleet starting in 2007 and fully integrated by 2012. Yes they must replace the current airframe...most birds are getting too old.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
First MMA squadron between 2010-2012, possibly shifted a little to the left, but don't count on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.