• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mk-82's

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would love to see a Mk84 detonated. Oh man, 2000lbs of joy.

Do we still use Mk81s? I know the Small Diameter Bomb is a 250lbs weapon.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
I would love to see a Mk84 detonated. Oh man, 2000lbs of joy.

Do we still use Mk81s? I know the Small Diameter Bomb is a 250lbs weapon.

The CV/CVS AirWngs used to strap Mk-81's on the Stoofs for ASW --- don't know about today. (edit: A-4's and Spads also occasionally carried them --don't know about land based VP applications).

2000 pounds of joy ??? How about times 4 !!!

The first time I dropped 4 x Mk-84's on a target ... coming downhill at something close to a 60 degree dive (the F-4 TARCAP said we wre going "straight down" in the debrief --- I duno about that but it was well over the standard, practiced 45 degrees-- the pucker factor was high) , 500 KIAS, and when I pickled the bombs the aircraft jumped so violently with the instantaneous salvo release of 8000 pounds of ordnance that my B/N yelled "Sh!t !!! Sh!t!!! Sh!t !!! We've been hit"!!! It rhymed ....

We hadn't, but you could have fooled me, also. :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
If memory serves, some other aircraft that used the Mk-81 were the Vietnamese T-28's, Royal Cambodian AF Mig-17's, and USAF F-111's and SOS A-26's flying out of NKP ... I'm sure there were others (Mk-81) and will be many more modern applications of slick/dumb Mk-80 series bombs in these days of JDAM add-on "kits".

mk80_fam.jpg
... come on now ... you know you love 'em ...

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Brett327 said:
Back in Bosnia, we carried a bunch of MK-20s (and MK 50 as well) and one time, we were about 30 seconds from dropping on this cigarette boat inbound to the CVN - KILL RDY and everything. Got called off at the last second.

Brett
I'll do you one better - flying over there w/ live torps + a British sub that showed up w/ out notice in the Adriatic = itchy trigger thumbs. Nothing like splitting the SS3 duty time and being woken up from a dead sleep to be asked "You remember how to do acoustic analysis, right?" (flying as a SS3 in a temp SS2 billet, splitting the time w/ my crew's original SS3). S-3 AW = multi-sensor...

Now that's good times... :D

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
A4sForever said:
... when I pickled the bombs the aircraft jumped so violently with the instantaneous salvo release of 8000 pounds of ordnance that my B/N yelled "Sh!t !!! Sh!t!!! Sh!t !!! We've been hit"!!! It rhymed ....
Agreed...the S-3 only toted two at a time, but flying at Fallon and turning one loose made for a significant "thwump" and shake inside the plane as it turned loose. Can only imagine the jolt from dropping 4 at a time... :)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RHPF said:
Pardon my ignorance but what is the cloud of smoke before impact?

A mixture of fuel and air which is sprayed out, then ignited.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Ahh, thats pretty sweet. I wasnt sure if it was like a prototype drawing I saw years back (probably im Pop. Mechanics or something) about ordinance that would essentially shoot (like a cannon) a warhead close to the ground in order to penetrate the earth deeper. Thanks for the info..

Lawman

None
RHPF said:
Ahh, thats pretty sweet. I wasnt sure if it was like a prototype drawing I saw years back (probably im Pop. Mechanics or something) about ordinance that would essentially shoot (like a cannon) a warhead close to the ground in order to penetrate the earth deeper. Thanks for the info..

Sounds like your thinking of the BLU-107 Durandal. Its a 330lbs explosive warhead that drops by parachute causing the weapon to slow down and go nose down and then when within the nose is completely down the rocket motor fires driving it through the concrete into the dirt below. The Warhead is time delayed so that it goes off under the runway concrete causing the surface to buckle and shift instead of just making a big crater. Its harder to fix where a big hole can just be filled and covered. Easier said then done, but a lot easier then fixing what a Durandal will do.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
jarhead said:
as for CAS, i'm not sure anybody in the world can do CAS as good as a Marine Cobra FAC(A)'n for Marine Harriers & Hornets ... just my opinion, and opinions of most Marine FACs i've talked with. now, if we could just talk the Marine Corps brass into buying the A-10 & AC-130's ...

S/F

Agree with all