• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military Life of USMC Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubledown

I am trying to become a Marine jet pilot. I wouldn't mind flying jets or helos but I want jets. My question is this: I've read a lot on this site and still have many questions. One thing I read was that after a year of tour, jet pilots are then moved to a ground position. I would think that after spending millions training a pilot, you'd want him in the air. Can someone enlighten me on this.

Also, I thought pilot tours on ships were 6 months. What is the time schedule for tours (i.e. 6 months on, 6 months on shore?). What is life like on a ship?

If they do move pilots to a ground position, how long is it for? Do they do that every so often? I could not find these questions, and I think my recruiter would "mislead" me on many of these.

One more thing, do helo pilots go on tour on a ship as well? or are they stationed on land?

I read all this information about what happens up to being a commissioned officer, but after your active duty begins, that's when the information stops flowing. So any help on the above or anything else you can think of would be much appreciated.

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
The Marine Corps wants well rounded officers with the mentality of a proffessional warrior. One of the major reasons I went this route was because of the gauranteed air contract, but I also look forward to doing that tour as a FAC or an Air Officer. I think of myself as a leader of Marines that just happened to be lucky enough to be a student naval aviator as well. I'm not saying there won't be alot of flying time, but its more than that. When I do fly, its going to be in support of the MAGTF commander. And yeah... after the first flying tour, many Officers move into ground billets like a FAC tour. From what I've heard, they are career enhancing and you learn alot. You get a chance to work closer with the ground side and learn even more what goes on there, making you a more complete, well-rounded warrior.
That being said, before the flaming begins, keep in mind I am a STUDENT naval aviator and being fresh out of TBS realize that I probably DO sound a bit naive.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Do a search for B-Billets as the subject in the Marines section. A lot of good gouge there that should answer the question. With the helo pilots, just think about it. You have a bunch of combat ready Marines in the ARG, and when the light turns green, they need a bus to take them ashore. Of course the Iron/Phrogs will be on the ship for "assault support."
With the Jets on boat, traditionally, I think most of the Marine fixed wing have been land based in the Expeditionary Groups, but there is this new concept called Tac-Air integration, where many Navy planes are getting to old to keep their carrier qual, so Marine VMFA squadrons will be taking their place as part of the Carrier Air Group. The subject is a bit out of my league, but those are the basics.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The B-billet thing has been beaten to death. Do a search, and you'll find a lot about ground tours. Most of you time will be in the cockpit, at least your first 3-5 years after flight school. Every service does this--the USN has disassociated sea tours (be on a ship and not fly--how fun), the USAF has staff tours, etc. Army warrants don't do too many non-flying jobs, but they're not commissioned officers, and aren't building toward higher-level leadership jobs.

Helos do go on the boat. More so than F/W, actually, since many F/W squadrons, e.g. F-18D and some EA6B squadrons, hardly ever go to the ship. F-18Cs do deployments on land as required, e.g. Turkey and Japan, but are also in the mix for big deck carrier pumps.

A typical rotation is a 6 mo float, followed by 1yr 5mo ashore, during which you'll do a Combined Arms Exercise (CAX) or two, then 6 mo of workups getting ready for a float, then stepping on the ship for another pump 1 yr, 11 mo after ending the last. The war has screwed up the normal rotation, but that was a typical phrog rotation when I was on the East Coast.

ugh ship and no flying? So what, they stick u on a sub or cruiser? Do they even do stuff if deployed with subs/surface warfare? Or are they just worthless lumps of sod that get in the way during damage control drills?

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
I think that becoming an instructor counts as shore duty, I think a lot of pilots would go for that.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
A lot of the USN types take air related jobs, e.g. air boss or "mini" boss, but many are assigned billets like navigator, ships safety, etc.

Instructor pilot, either at flt school or the FRS, is a popular B-billet. Marines go right back to fleet sqdns afterward. Navy still often take the non-flying job coming back.

riley

Check out this website:

http://www.marineofficercandidate.com/aviation_home_page.htm

Click on Aviation Career information. Scroll down to the bottom of the page. It has information on all rated MOS positions. Lots of Good info - gives you information on the tracks and locations of training from API through your wings of gold and first assignment. It also tells what happens further on in your career. You can compare the platforms - F-18s, Harriers, Rotary-wing, etc.

doubledown

Quote: "A typical rotation is a 6 mo float, followed by 1yr 5mo ashore, during which you'll do a Combined Arms Exercise (CAX) or two, then 6 mo of workups getting ready for a float, then stepping on the ship for another pump 1 yr, 11 mo after ending the last."'

Is this to say that you go on the ship for 6 months, after that, you spend 17months ashore, then spend another 6 months preparing from your next ship tour, then spend another 23 months on the ship? 2 years on a ship sounds like a long time. What is Combined Arms Exercise? Will you fly during that training? And is the tours for the helos the same as jets, I would think they'd be different, at least a little.

Thanks for all your help.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Just about all of the pumps are 6 months long - so the 2nd pump is basically the same as the first. Mind you, that cycle is almost standard for CH-46E's which are the base squadron of the MEU - skid and 53 bubbas can (or should I say might have to) pump more often depending upon how many of their aircraft are tasked for the deployment. (Normally the MEU goes out with 12 Phrogs, 4 53E's, 4 Snakes and 2 Hueys. Sometimes the MEU gets "plussed up" with more 53's and more Snakes which plays havoc with the rotation of the 53 and Cobra pilots)

F-18's deploy on the carriers and have roughly the same 6 month deployments as other units. Harriers actually attach to the helicopter squadron and are under the command of the squadron CO (generally a CH-46E pilot) with the MEU. The MEU is aboard one of the gator carriers (LHD or LHA).

CAX's are wonderful (sarcasm) deployments to 29 Palms, California. However, the flying is good and plentiful (especially for East Coast bubbas which get to fly their helicopters across the continental US)

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Don't forget 4-6 AV-8Bs of the MEU + a partridge in a pear tree. To clarify, you get ON THE SHIP (for another 6 month deployment) 23 months AFTER you got OFF the last float.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Soon enough, MV-22 (Bat Monkeys from Hell) will be added to the MEU. The part to note when making selection comparisons is that no-where were the F-18s mentioned. They must be off on a carrier in a deep blue sea far far away.

steve02

I'm kinda jumping in here but my question is relevent to the initial question. With all the time you are grounded, how many hours of flight do jet pilots generally accumulate over 8 years of service in the Marines? Like doubledown stated, "I would think that after spending millions training a pilot, you'd want him in the air." Although my first priority is to serve my country and not be a pilot, I'd like to know straight facts about what I'll be doing over the next ten years or so from experienced Marines. I can't seem to get a straight response from many people including recruiting officers, and it'd be great if someone will cut the b.s. and give me an answer. I'm going to be a Marine either way.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
The numbers I am going to give you are typical of helo pilots but jet pilots should be similiar. Jarhead and Frumby should be able to confirm them. Expect to graduate flight school and finish the FRS with about 300-350 hours. Then expect roughly 250-300 hours a year in the fleet. The one way to really rack up flight time is to become an instructor (after you have finished your fleet tour). Instructors can easily average 600-700 hours a year. In other words, to maximize your flight time, you really need to become an instructor pilot - however, other billets (i.e., ground or staff) are more conducive to a career in the Corps.

Status
Not open for further replies.