• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military Emblems Trademarked?

nugget81

pilot
I'm trying to figure out whether or not the Navy Wings of Gold are a trademarked image. It seems like some companies will print/duplicate the image at will and others will not because they say that military symbols are trademarked. My search of the internets came up with nothing, so I ask the mighty AW crowd...

torpedo0126

use a different company is my advice. we ran into problems for our patch having trademark/copyright issues. Some companies are willing to take the chance and others are much more reserved. Of the three I have dealt with, none have had an issue with wings.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I've never heard that. Never heard of anyone having issues for winging shirts. Weird. If they won't take your money, find someone who will. If a public company won't print it, who the hell will?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
There is a resource that we used at NC Soft to determine if things were Trade Marked, I'm inquiring about it now and will post it when I get it...

That being said, trade mark and copyright are different animals. Anyone can copyright something by saying "I copyright this", but to trademark costs money. Therefore a proper TM holds more legal weight than a Copyright.

I cant remember the specifics, but duplication is legal under certain circumstances of a copyright... a TM is what needs to be licensed if memory serves.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm pretty sure the government, can't copyright anything, since it's owned "by the people." I think that's covered in one of the copyright stickies. I do believe they can TM something, though, ie the Marines and their commando clothes.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd be really surprised if any military insignia were trademarked. More likely some companies have heard about the Stolen Valor Act and are becoming leery about doing up military insignia for anyone off the street. There's nothing verboten about using the insignia, though.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
Just checked the back of my wings and didn't see a TM on it. You're good to go. (actually had that problem with the publix in Pace when trying to get them to put wings on a cake)

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I'm pretty sure the government, can't copyright anything, since it's owned "by the people." I think that's covered in one of the copyright stickies. I do believe they can TM something, though, ie the Marines and their commando clothes.

The government owns this trademarked emblem. :D

gm_logo.jpg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I vaguely remember the Blue Angels trademarking their logo/emblem and sending cease and desist letters to non-approved vendors selling stuff, but I can't find anything on the net.

Other than that, you won't have to worry about using military emblems or symbols unless it is a large-scale money making enterprise. Even then some squadrons don't seem to have a problem, probably since they are the government ;), when VF-154 was in Japan their mess fund was supposedly in the six-figure range from sales of their stuff there.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Shenanigans take on a whole new aspect when you have a 6 figure bankroll/legal fund at your disposal...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I vaguely remember the Blue Angels trademarking their logo/emblem and sending cease and desist letters to non-approved vendors selling stuff, but I can't find anything on the net.

Nah, that was the Hell's Angels.

Seriously. They trademarked their name and club patch and won't hesitate to sue anyone who uses it without permission. Among other things, they sued Disney over that piece of shit Wild Hogs movie.

Hell's Angels suing Disney. That says something about America, though damned if I can figure out what.

GroundPounder

Nah, that was the Hell's Angels.

Seriously. They trademarked their name and club patch and won't hesitate to sue anyone who uses it without permission. Among other things, they sued Disney over that piece of shit Wild Hogs movie.

Hell's Angels suing Disney. That says something about America, though damned if I can figure out what.

They don't sue if someone gets a Hell's Angel tattoo without being in the club. They just take it back. Using a knife or a belt sander.