• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military clause question

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
Ran into this in both Corpus and Pensacola, the roomate leaving is the only one that can break the contract. However in both places, I was able to get a letter from my command stating I will be receiving orders soon and they allowed that as my 30 days notice. The military clause allows you to break your lease, but its orders plus 30 days, or in my case, a letter plus 30 days. Either way you're still responsible for the next months rent.

CAVU

just livin' the dream...
None
What happens when one of two roomates both with a military clause on the lease, has to leave? Is there an option to break the lease completely or does the remaining roomate have to stay with that lease? Thanks,

Base JAG is free and they see more landlord and renter issues than anyone else in the military. Best free advice you'll ever get. Take a copy of ALL of the agreements.

Rubiks06

pilot
BTW... although it won't affect you personally, don't be surprised if college town landlords start doing really d!ck moves someday though... like refusing to rent to ROTC students. It happened at PSU a few years back.[/quote]

...this is not legal and if they shot you down you should definately let someone know. This should be covered in fair housing laws.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BTW... although it won't affect you personally, don't be surprised if college town landlords start doing really d!ck moves someday though... like refusing to rent to ROTC students. It happened at PSU a few years back.

Rubiks06 said:
...this is not legal and if they shot you down you should definately let someone know. This should be covered in fair housing laws.
How so? ROTC students are not a protected class.

snizo

Supply Officer
^^^ Correct - profession is not covered in the federal fair housing laws. It is, however, covered by some state/local laws. I know Maryland prohibits discrimination based on occupation.

Check local ordinances. If occupation isn't protected ... write your councilman/state senator.

In any case - you can't be required to tell them you're in ROTC if they ask, right? "I'm a full time student" end of discussion.

Rubiks06

pilot
Yeah my bust...I looked it up. Not covered by the fair housing but like snizo said some states prohibit it.

Notso07

None
So couldn't I technically transfer the whole lease to him just before he gives notice to vacate and be out of my lease?

nugget81

pilot
I've done similar deals with apartments leases with various roommates coming and going. Eventually I had the lease in my name alone (the other roommates had to sign off on it), and then I cancelled the lease. I've not had to do so using the military clause, but the worst they could say is "no, we're not going to do it." Just don't tip them off as to what you're about to do.