• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mile Swim

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLAM97to99

Is there a time limit on the miles swim? I am not the strongest swimmer in the world, but I can elementary backstroke all day. But if I spent a long time on the elementary backstroke it would take me a long time to get the mile in.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
breast, side or freestyle are the only strokes you can do. I was one of the slowest guys in the pool and still finished with plenty of time, so don't worry about it. I was very stressed about having to swim a mile, they make sure you are ready for it, it was still tough, but not nearly as horrible as I had imagined

zuggerat

swim a mile? holy crap, when is this supposed to happen? I'm applying in the next few weeks when do i have to do this mile swim? Why hasn't anyone told me about this???

kray1395

The mile swim is the only swim event which I can't make any sense out of. All of the dunker events, treading water, dead man's float, etc., these are events which will actually help you should you have to bail out. More than likely, there is not going to be anything at around a mile distance from you that you are going to swim to.

I'm sure there is a reason written in blood somewhere as to why we will have to complete a mile swim. Can anyone offer any insight into this?

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
The mile swim is a confidence builder more than anything. So many people go into it thinking there is no way I can do this... when they finish it gives them a bit more confidence in their "aquatic abilities" LOL

zuggerat

jesus christ i got worried, lol, get to the pt test for the application and they make you swim a mile. that'd be a wonderful surprise NOT

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
controlled drowning

I feel like every pool evolution has been an exercise in new and improved ways to get water into my lungs. Going to the pool used to be a treat, but now I almost look forward to running!

But seriously, I have discovered that a lot of surviving the water games is head work - one person in my class had to do the tower jump in a flight suit and boots with the bonus underwater swim 6 times. If you can pass it on the 6th attempt, the problem is definitely not your physical ability to swim.

As for the mile swim, supposedly it is a real life demonstration of how you can swim for a long time if you had to. The water survival instructors told us if you can swim 6 laps in flight gear, then you can float for hours. I guess it's a whole will to survive thing.

Cheers -
Rugger

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The worst thing about the mile swim is that it is BORING. I took my sweet time and did it in an hour and I was bored out of my mind.

As for swimming a mile? John F. Kennedy swam THREE while dragging a fellow crewman...you just never know what'll happen to you.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
I used to swim alot, and doing it again now. The best way that I've found not to be bored is to sing (in your head). As stupid as it sounds it works real well. I also practice the Big 4 for OCS.

PS Rugger, do you play Rugby?

binary_choice

Final Select SNA
Here's a question.... do they make you do the mile in a pool? It would be so much better if it were in the ocean or lake or something longer... If it's in the pool, how long is it? my pool here is only about 25 meters long... that would take me about 60 laps to do a miles... that really would be boring... please tell me it's in the ocean...

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
In the pool with a lot of other people. I think it is a 25m pool, can't really remeber, but it gets quite boring and crowded.

CLAM97to99

My dad said when he went through flight school in 68 they made him do the mile swim in his flight suit. is it the same today?

Status
Not open for further replies.