• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Microsoft Flight Sim. 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I'm getting my income tax money back soon, and I'm thinking about getting this comp game. I've heard it was good practice. But I need some reviews from you guys, so let me know what the "DL" is on this game. Do you have to have a joy stick? I have a brand new Dell, so all the reqs are good to go. Thanks.

Maverick: "Slider... (sniff sniff)... you stink."
- Lt. Pete Mitchell, Top Gun -

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
i would think that you would have to have a joystick for it. Besides, why play a flight sim without a stick?

on a side note, I have also heard that the game is good practice.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
you guys should check out www.fscentral.com that site has quite a bit of good stuff for flight sims...

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
Yes, buy this game. Flying a perfect ILS in complete dog**** weather and visibility, then having the clouds open up and seeing the runway all lined up is just one of the pleasures of this "game." Buy it now!

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
It sure as hell won't hurt anything. Just gettin used to the cockpit guages will help. I used it and saved hundreds on my instrument ticket. Use it to help stay current frequently.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
hey i was digging through some old games the other day and i pulled out Falcon 4.0. Its an f16 flight sim, and appears too be very realistic. The instruction booklet isnt a booklet at all but a binder and its more of a flight manuel written by an actual F16 pilot. It goes through everything from how to takeoff to how to land in different conditions including using TACAN to guide yourself to landing, to dogfighting manuveres. I just finished basic landing, and the manuel stated that these are the exact same steps to involved in landing a real F16. Pretty awesome.

The knobs and guages on the virtual cockpit all work also. So you can turn them by clicking on them with the mouse.

There is supposed to be a whole mission campaign that is mission varied..meaning that each mission can change judging by how you do on the previous. Like say you destroy a bridge that is a tank route. You will actually be able to tell over time how armor that usually goes over that bridge varied its course to get around that. Judging by the thickness of the training manuel i dont know if I will ever get around to this though.

It seems really cool, and something to pass the time when im super board.

Bushmaster

Yes Falcon 4.0 is a classic, after the producer company ditched the game, the flight sim community took over and they have done miracles with Falcon...

From the engine start to shutdown, it is as real as a F-16 sim can ever get...

096.jpg

On the other hand, since I ditched the AF and turned to Navy, I'd strongly recommend getting Jane's F/A/18...

cockpit_big.jpg

Bushmaster

Let me know if you need any help, because there are so many updates, patches you will need to download for Falcon...

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
i probably will. I dont have any updates or patches yet for it. I just got through engine flameout landing. Could still use some practice though.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flight Simulator 2002 is one of the best simulations out there. The graphics are good (you MUST have a fast computer, or else...), there is a RIDICULOUS amount of third party add-ons for it, and at the very least it's great for learning the gauges, etc. Get a joystick. Flying MS Flight Sim without a stick/yoke and rudder pedals is like squatting to pee when you can stand up and do it. Go to http://www.flightsim.com it's the only resource you'll ever need. Become a member, it is free.

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
Yes, FS2004 (aka FS9) came out back in August. It's simply the latest in a long line of Microsoft simulators, I'd recomend it...if your computer is capable of running it.

Status
Not open for further replies.