• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Microsoft announces Flight Simulator X

FlyingBeagle

pilot
My wife bought me xplane. I've never played microsoft, but I was amazed at all the stuff xplane could do (if my computer were fast enough for it). I tried using it during primary with a t-34 plugin, but the power settings weren't right and the throttle on the joystick was kind of messed up. Would have been awesome for RIs though.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
You know, I've always wondered about this. I've played sims since I was 12 merely because actually flying wasn't an option. Do you find that once you become an aviator, you still play them?

In short, no. I never played them much to begin with. I was stashed at MAG-41 waiting to start the RAG and they gave me unlimited access to the Hornet sim. I must have flown that thing 5 or 6 hours a day. Once you get to fly for real you only go back to the sim (which is infinitely better than a PC sim game anyway) when you have to. Now I know why the sim was available for me to fly 5 or 6 hours a day.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly.. do you honestly find yourself climbing out of one of one of the most advanced airplanes in the world... only to run home and fire up the ole flight sim?

Thats kinda funny.

Nope, I haven't played any games in a while. Just bought Dead Rising for XBox360, it's pretty cool.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Second that on Dead Rising. I tried the FSX demo and it basically kicked my computer's ass.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
My brother built my PC two or three years ago. Was only $1200 for parts and it was top of the line back then. FSX is pretty demanding.

It has a Pentium 4 with 3.2 GHz, a Gig of ram, and a Radeon X800 pro video card. It still struggled.

If you're looking for a new PC, go with custom or if you want, I can send over Falcon 3.0 for a cheap price.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My brother built my PC two or three years ago. Was only $1200 for parts and it was top of the line back then. FSX is pretty demanding.

It has a Pentium 4 with 3.2 GHz, a Gig of ram, and a Radeon X800 pro video card. It still struggled.

If you're looking for a new PC, go with custom or if you want, I can send over Falcon 3.0 for a cheap price.

Having built my last 3 computers, the idea that it's cheaper is a myth. The benefit is that you can customize to exactly what you're trying to achieve. In my case, I started building my own when I went to a hard drive computer based system for my recording studio back when SCSI drives were the only ones that could handle the throughput required. If you're building a system from the ground up, you're not going to be price competitive with what's being offered by folks like HP or Dell based on raw specs like CPU/Chip set/RAM/HD capacity.

Brett

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Hmm, I always thought it was cheaper. Never really researched it though.

You're not going to beat Dell on their volume pricing, if you just want a decent system. However, it is the cheaper way to get hardware that you want if you have eclectic needs.

It's also a lot easier and cheaper come upgrade time if you've done the right planning; that is, if you upgrade every 2 years or so. I'm not one of these gamers that upgrades the vid card every 2 years (just "upgraded" from a Ti4200 to an integrated geforce6 chip), but I do plan to drop in a raid card in the next year or so.