• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MH-60 crash in San Diego

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Who/what is Federal Fire?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Who/what is Federal Fire?

They're the guys at all the NASessses that are in the trucks. I *think* they're also at airports with scheduled air service, but I may be off on that. It's considered a coveted gig for firemen, especially post-retirement at a municipality, because you're a GS that doesn't have to do much, day-to-day.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They're the guys at all the NASessses that are in the trucks. I *think* they're also at airports with scheduled air service, but I may be off on that. It's considered a coveted gig for firemen, especially post-retirement at a municipality, because you're a GS that doesn't have to do much, day-to-day.

There are some at Bolling, plenty of helo flights out of there still, and they answer plenty of off-base calls to in DC and MD to make things interesting from time to time.

Federal firefighters get extra retirement credit along with federal LEO's, 1.7% a year towards retirement pay instead of the standard 1%. Not as generous as some municipalities but still nice.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are some at Bolling, plenty of helo flights out of there still, and they answer plenty of off-base calls to in DC and MD to make things interesting from time to time.

Federal firefighters get extra retirement credit along with federal LEO's, 1.7% a year towards retirement pay instead of the standard 1%. Not as generous as some municipalities but still nice.
I used to volunteer at a local company up on Whidbey. Fed Fire had a mutual aid agreement to cover most of the city of Oak Harbor so they were out on any calls that required a second alarm, or anytime the local departments were tapped out with multiple calls at once (e.g. brush fire season). I think that arrangement is pretty typical, especially since the Fed Fire folks usually have technical expertise/equipment (things like rope rescue) that your average volunteer company might not have.

exNavyOffRec

I used to volunteer at a local company up on Whidbey. Fed Fire had a mutual aid agreement to cover most of the city of Oak Harbor so they were out on any calls that required a second alarm, or anytime the local departments were tapped out with multiple calls at once (e.g. brush fire season). I think that arrangement is pretty typical, especially since the Fed Fire folks usually have technical expertise/equipment (things like rope rescue) that your average volunteer company might not have.
The fed fire at Everett gets called out to help the city when called upon.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Search and Rescue (SAR). Rescue swimmers - MH-60R aircrewmen in this case - have a currency requirement for jumping in the water, going down via hoist, coming back up, etc.

These events are a "rodeo" where you take more crew than usual and spend quite a bit of time in an out-of-ground-effect hover, with high power required.
Very familiar with the evolution, was just curious if that was the mission that night . . . .