• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MGIB with STA-21

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
I don't have a quoted instruction, but I haven't found a reason why you can't do that. I plan on doing it if & when I make it and have the mandatory extend/reenlistment that brings me out beyond the 10yr mark.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For most of the STA-21'ers, I would agree. There are those who, while fortunate to get selected, are very limited to their choice of schools. Those service members with dependents in the exceptional family member program, military married to military (which we have over a dozen of at my unit), and those with spouses that cannot relocate, for what ever reason, may have to enroll at an expensive school not out of choice, but necessity.

As an earlier poster mentioned, It provides another option to those in the program.

Options are good, but the reasons listed above are BS. EFM is covered under TRI-Care and there are plenty of relatively in-expensive schools near military facilities. No one FORCES anyone to go to an expensive university, it boils down to choice. If you chose to an expensive school, you do so at your own cost, now you have the option to use your MGIB.

As an ECP graduate, I chose my school and I incurred the burden of paying for my own tuition and books. STA-21 gives you $10K a year along with your active duty pay and you can't afford school.....come on. If you only have 10K, then spend $10K.

There are plenty of State schools where $10K goes a long way.

-ea6bflyr ;)

OC/EMC

Options are good, but the reasons listed above are BS. EFM is covered under TRI-Care and there are plenty of relatively in-expensive schools near military facilities. No one FORCES anyone to go to an expensive university, it boils down to choice. If you chose to an expensive school, you do so at your own cost, now you have the option to use your MGIB.

As an ECP graduate, I chose my school and I incurred the burden of paying for my own tuition and books. STA-21 gives you $10K a year along with your active duty pay and you can't afford school.....come on. If you only have 10K, then spend $10K.

There are plenty of State schools where $10K goes a long way.

-ea6bflyr ;)

haha, BS? The only thing BS is that you discount these possibilities solely on your own limited, DATED experiences.

Having a EFM is not so much to do with having the money for the situation, as you pointed out with the Tricare statement, but everything to do with the duty assignment limitations imposed on you by the program.

OPNAVISNT 1754.2C 3.C. "Currently, it is DON policy to ensure Navy families with EFMs are assigned only to those areas where their EFM's specialized medical and educational needs can be met."

So PO1 , stationed in Newport RI gets selected STA-21 but cant move his EFM to North Carolina to attend NC State. Instead he has to enroll at M.I.T. or W.P.I.; the two closest NROTC colleges to him. I will let you figure out how long his STA-21 $10,000 will last him. Hint: it will be measured in weeks

Or how about PO3, married to PO2 and co-located at Great Lakes. PO3 is worried that STA-21's $10,00 a year will not be able to cover him attending Illinois Institute of Technology where the $13,000 a semester has his PO2 wife worried. But he has a choice, remember. He can afford the tuition to U of Wisconson instead, but his wife is stationed in Great Lakes. It will only be a 140 or so mile commute one way. Very conducive to his learning.

Last but not least: EMC is lucky enough to get selected, but has to complete his degree within 18 months, or he will be kicked out on account of age limits. No problem he thinks. I can handle 22-25 class hours a semester and still graduate. But wait, will STA-21 be able to cover the state college tuition? No problem paying $4000 for 13 hours, but almost $8000 for one semester? ouch! Sure wish I had my MGIB to help defray the cost without sending me into debt.

.....imagine the possibilities when you stop to think.

You are correct though; there are plenty of schools where $10k goes a long way. Unfortunately, there are plenty of reasons why it can't be made to go the most economical way.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
So PO1 , stationed in Newport RI gets selected STA-21 but cant move his EFM to North Carolina to attend NC State. Instead he has to enroll at M.I.T. or W.P.I.; the two closest NROTC colleges to him. I will let you figure out how long his STA-21 $10,000 will last him. Hint: it will be measured in weeks.

Why can't PO1 go to Worcester State?

http://worcester.edu/admissions/Shared Documents/tuitionandfees.aspx

Or how about PO3, married to PO2 and co-located at Great Lakes. PO3 is worried that STA-21's $10,00 a year will not be able to cover him attending Illinois Institute of Technology where the $13,000 a semester has his PO2 wife worried. But he has a choice, remember. He can afford the tuition to U of Wisconson instead, but his wife is stationed in Great Lakes. It will only be a 140 or so mile commute one way. Very conducive to his learning.

According to the IIT NROTC website, IIT covers the difference between their tuition and the STA-21 $10K limit.
http://nrotc.iit.edu/b_support.htm at the bottom of the page.

OC/EMC

Good catch HH-60H

I missed the I.I.T. matching funds, thanks. I wonder if it covers fees and books as well?

And looking at my post, my tone was a bit too much, but I posted this thread in the hopes that someone out there would be able to complete STA-21 with the use of their MGIB, that would not have been able to do it otherwise. Throwing out a couple of possibilities to show why the MGIB will be needed and then to have all those suggestions referred to as BS....come on. There are just too many "what ifs". I was simply trying to demonstrate the silliness of the absolute in his statement.

P.S. PO1 can't got to Worcesheter state because they have no A.B.E.T. accredited engineering degree. Since he was selected C.E.C. option, he must get a A.B.E.T. accredited engineering degree or architecture degree. This is what I mean by assuming in absolutes.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My point of my post is STA-21 is an AWESOME VOLUNTARY program. If you don't like it, then get out of the Navy and go to college on your own dime....then you'll really see how far your MGIB goes. Or better yet, stay a blueshirt and strive for Master Chief. Either way it's your CHOICE. You can whine about how some students are "forced" to go to specific colleges, but they do have a choice.

I'm sure all the other variables you list will continue to play a factor, but you are not ENTITLED to anything...you earn it. I'm sure you earned your place in STA-21, but it was your choice.

Good luck in the program and with your transition from Enlisted to Officer.....it was a hard transition for me as a First Class. I'm sure it will be a bit tougher as a former Chief Petty Officer.

-ea6bflyr ;)

napster21

Hey all,
I'm a STA-21 OC currently enrolled at a private institution that costs 33k a year in tuition and fees after summer semester is factored in. I just got my GI Bill paperwork done and I thought I'd share my experience/reasonings for any current or future OC thinking of doing the same.

After being selected, I explored the public school route and applied to several that rank in the top tier of colleges (U. of Virginia, U. of Maryland, and the Citadel). However, I was only accepted to the Citadel of these three and I just didn't think it was the best fit for me.

I decided to go a private university and I have to say I have no regrets. Initially I was planning on taking loans to defray the cost. I filed a FAFSA application and was awarded $25000 in aid. I'm an E5 with no dependents, so I can only imagine that this would be more generous to those with families. 13k in grants (free money) and the rest in federal loans. This is an important factor to keep sight of, college tuition is a lot like the sticker price on a used car lot, no one actually pays that much. In addition to this a number of military scholarships are available, and while I was too late to apply for any this year, I know one MECEP OC who is receiving 8k a year in private scholarships. 8k scholarships + 10k STA-21 money + 13k in grants, and you're going to a private university with practically no loans.

Unfortunately, I was deployed last year and barely found the time and resources to apply to school, let alone scholarships, after being selected. So this year I am using the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Many schools, including my own, are participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program, where the university matches every dollar the GI Bill pays in order to cover the gap in tuition. This is allowing me to go to a top private college for free this year.

The new GI Bill provides benefits for 36 months. If I get scholarship money next year I'll still have 24 months left (the length it takes to complete most Master's programs) and even if I don't, I would be foolish to have not used TA to start my graduate degree while still in the Navy. Since I'm only taking 2 years to complete the STA-21 program, at worst I'll be left with 12 months of benefits remaining.

The only problem with my plan that some may take issue with, is that I have only made provisions for my own higher education. Many Sailors are excited about the option of transferring their benefits to family members. Though I'm single now, this was still an issue I gave some thought to and ultimately made the decision to use the benefits for myself first. This was a personal decision and I can understand that others would not choose this path.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I thought this question deserved a real world answer rather than hypotheticals. If anyone has any further questions about using GI Bill with STA-21 feel free to PM me as I don't check this forum too frequently.

corvettetimmy

Ok, why on earth would you want to use the MGIB whil on STA-21? It makes no sense to do so. You're already getting paid your current paygrade, as well as $10k for college. Now, if you're going to a school that requires a significant amount above that $10k I would understand, but if it's a small amount, then there is no reason to be tapping into the MGIB.

The school I went to had outrageous summer prices by the credit hour. And Sta-21 required us to take 12 credit hours in the summer. Sta-21 only paid $2,000 for the summer. So to meet the requirements of 12 hours (bare min) much less 18 hours (which I did both summers) costs the individual a significant amount of money..

Using the GI bill would have been beneficial to the credit card.. :D and not interfered with my race car project :)

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
STA-21 didn't require 12 summer hours, that was your unit. STA-21 only requires that you maintain full-time status.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
After being selected,... I was only accepted to the Citadel of these three and I just didn't think it was the best fit for me.

I decided to go a private university...

Bottom line is that you were not FORCED to attend a private college, it was your choice and the post-911 MGIB ALLOWED you to make that choice.

Thanks for sharing your story and good luck with your education and future commissioning.

-ea6bflyr ;)