• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

METOC (or OCEANO or whatever)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Shipmates - As I mentioned a while back, Fester 2.0 is now in high school and has become very interested in NOAA or the CG as a career path. Specifically she’s interested in Oceanography or related applied hard sciences. I suggested to her she might look into METOC (or is it “OCEANO” now?) by way of expanding her options into NROTC. I don’t know much about it or whether they take direct accessions out of ROTC. There was a SWO-METOC option fellow ensign on my first ship. That’s about all I know. Can anyone help a dad out?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Shipmates - As I mentioned a while back, Fester 2.0 is now in high school and has become very interested in NOAA or the CG as a career path. Specifically she’s interested in Oceanography or related applied hard sciences. I suggested to her she might look into METOC (or is it “OCEANO” now?) by way of expanding her options into NROTC. I don’t know much about it or whether they take direct accessions out of ROTC. There was a SWO-METOC option fellow ensign on my first ship. That’s about all I know. Can anyone help a dad out?

On the NROTC website, linked below, list the service assignment options:

OCEANO doesn't appear to be one.

BigRed389

None

SWO METOC is still a thing and a very common entry path for METOCs.

They’re part of the Info Dominance Corps or whatever they go by now…which means they cross pollinate with Intel and IW in their careers as well. I met a METOC who, besides the usual SWO DivO entry and weather guesser jobs, had done a DEVGRU tour, and was going to be XO of an Intel unit…really interesting career path.

There are a few active/former weather types on Sailorbob if you want to reach out to folks in the community.

exNavyOffRec

I used to know where to find what I am going to say but I can't remember at the moment, but there is info out there as to the exact breakdown as to what designators are available from each commissioning source and you can compare over time. If she is set on a specific designator wouldn't OCS be better to give her more control over her destiny?

Meyerkord

pilot
Like others have said, OCEANO may not be available via NROTC, but when I went through OCS we had multiple OCEANO candidates in my class. That might be a better option if her heart is set on it.

BigRed389

None
If she really wants more of a guarantee, I’d open the aperture beyond Navy. NOAA Corps is a thing and far more focused on the science aspects.

taxi1

pilot

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If she really wants more of a guarantee, I’d open the aperture beyond Navy. NOAA Corps is a thing and far more focused on the science aspects.
Yep, NOAA and the CG are her first choices. Trying to broaden opportunities and also maybe cover the “pay for college” thing if possible.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep, NOAA and the CG are her first choices. Trying to broaden opportunities and also maybe cover the “pay for college” thing if possible.

The Direct Commission Selected School (DCSS) is a relatively obscure but another option for the Coast Guard, it was created after I graduated but I know of several folks from my school who have gone this route and commissioned in the CG. The two years of ROTC is the one that caught my attention, opens up a lot of options.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
More Googling. SWO w/ lat transfer after 2-4 years is a common accession for some RL communities and is accessible out of NROTC. I read somewhere (probably here) about a then-METOC billet that involved surveying harbors around the world. Sounds like a pretty good gig and interesting career path.

Ozarky

pilot
Or you can be a METOC living in Omaha flying aboard the E-6 with ABNCP, surveying the flatland between Tinker and Offutt 👀

For real though, those guys/gals actually have a pretty good gig, as long as you don’t mind Nebraska.

GoVols03

SNFO Select
Quick question yall, I’m active duty and I have a sailor of mine who is trying to submit and application for OCS her desired designator is IP but since we work in aviation she is having a hard time finding appraisals does anyone have any connection that they can put me in touch with so she can get some appraisals?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Quick question yall, I’m active duty and I have a sailor of mine who is trying to submit and application for OCS her desired designator is IP but since we work in aviation she is having a hard time finding appraisals does anyone have any connection that they can put me in touch with so she can get some appraisals?

I just realized your active duty enlisted as well.

The sailor should be finding + seeking an officer mentor or two in the command to assist with this. Is her division officer, DH, CO/XO helping here?