• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Metal Storm

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
New multipurpose weapons system under development. The system is a "electronically initiated, stacked projectile system that removes the mechanisms required to fire a conventional weapon". Currently the system is being used in a several different forms and ammunition types including the 5.56 and 40mm.

The machine gun version of the system (though with multiple barrels) can fire a million rounds per minute. In addition to the machine gun a handgun variant (intended for use by military and police), a sniper-rifle (recently contracted by the United State’s Department of Defense), and even an Area-Denial Weapons System (to replace land mines), which can be operated by a single man to fire up to 1800 grenades and 360 solid mortar rounds intelligently aimed at enemy units in only a quarter of a second are being developed.

Link Here for company

Due to the lack of moving parts there is supposed to be a far less likelyhood that the weapons will jam. The Marine Corps has already contracted for an 18mm Metal storm attachment to be added to the M16A4 service rifle but the question needs to be asked, how long till this type of system can be deployed as a stand alone rifle?

Probably be dead by the time civilians are allowed to own them but would still love to get my hands on one.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Probably be dead by the time civilians are allowed to own them but would still love to get my hands on one.

They'd never be allowed in civilian hands, not regular civilians at least. See the gun control laws of 1986.

And this thing has been "developing" for a little while. Millions rounds per minutes? Yeah... I'll believe it when I see it, especially without a barrel melting.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It's millions of rounds a minute for a rate, not sustained. The bullets are stacked lengthwise, so you'd need a really long barrel to make it shoot for any length of time.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's millions of rounds a minute for a rate, not sustained. The bullets are stacked lengthwise, so you'd need a really long barrel to make it shoot for any length of time.

I know it's not a sustained rate, but even a burst at those rates would cause instant barrel heat.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I put in an order for 200 shares today. Come on in and pump up the market!

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I'm thinking its all magnetic, so the round doesnt actually touch the side of the barrel, just propelled like a railgun
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
One million rounds per minute? Criminy! You could probably melt a whole blue whale in two seconds with that.

The magnetic idea is pretty cool, I wish I had thought of it. So, the magnetic fields are used to keep the projectile away from the bore, as well as to propel it? Reminds me of fictional weaponry you read about in sci-fi. the future is approaching. Just wait 'till we get mechanized suits armed with plasma blades.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
The million rounds per minute rate is achieved by using multiple barrels and firing in a computer controlled sequence. Metal Storm has no shell cartridges. The barrels are pre loaded with the bullets, which are stacked inside. One barrel may have 20 or 30 bullets inside, each with its own propellant charge.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Barnard1425 said:
This may be a dumb question, but what are the practical, real-world applications of a stationary weapon that can fire 1,000,000 rounds per minute?

Reading this reminds me of the various attempts to create a fully automatic shotgun. Each project ran into the same issue: they had created an solution to a problem that never existed.

I'm holding off on buying stock for now.

The same technology can be used for smaller more portable versions of the weapon. The other possibility would be mounting on an aircraft, perhaps a helo for close air support or maybe just a stationary unit for anytype of defensive position.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Barnard1425 said:
This may be a dumb question, but what are the practical, real-world applications of a stationary weapon that can fire 1,000,000 rounds per minute?

I don't think that it is necessarily the rate of fire, but the fact that it eliminates the moving parts.

[size=-1]
These are the highlights of the technology (from the website)

electronically programmable rates of fire from single shots to ultra-rapid rates;

no moving parts, resulting in increased reliability and availability because there is less maintenance required and decreased possibility of malfunction;

increased firepower to weight ratio resulting in a lighter weapon with greater firepower compared to conventional weapons;

modular pods that could operate as a complete weapon system in one container;

100% electronic operation;

the potential of grouping of multiple calibers and multiple lethalities in one gun allowing the user to vary the use to a specific situation;

numerous hybrid configurations and Special Forces applications that could result in enhanced capabilities for use behind enemy lines;

fast second round strike capability before recoil effect.[/size]

BTW I'm going to be placing an order for shares tomorrow morning. Their stock is @ like $2 right now, and $200 isn't alot to invest on speculation on a technology like this (in my opinion).

Where this technology could be implemented... I don't know. I would think that things are reliable enough now that they don't need it, but all it takes is one big contract.