• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Merry Christmas

FlyinRock

If memory is not flawed, this nation was formed with christian beliefs. It has many references to the christian faith inscribed on buildings, currency, and schools. Now, because a minority is complaining about it, we see less and less of the public displays of christianity. A local hospital did not display its nativity scene for fear of legal action. Stores are not displaying the christian theme and are just selling their goods to all consumers. when asked why, the response is "We dont want to offend anyone..."
Well, at this rate, we'll be consumed by Sharia law and no one will ever hear of Christmas again!
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF OUR ARMED FORCES WHO ARE TRYING TO MAINTAIN A CHRISTIAN WAY OF LIFE.
SEMPER FI
Rocky

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Or how about this? Our land was founded by people seeking religious freedom. Following that, and to this very day, its traditions have been enriched (or diluted, depending on how you see it) by those who have settled here seeking the freedoms our Constitution guarantees [for all heterosexuals].

With that in mind, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, and, hey, isn't today the Solstice? If you don't celebrate any of those, Happy New Year! I proudly serve alongside people who celebrate any of those, and others.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...and, hey, isn't today the Solstice?
Damn right it is. Now everyday when I leave from work to go home, it will just a tad less dark. I love the cold(er) weather in the winter, but damn I can't stand it getting dark early. :icon_rage

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
If memory is not flawed, this nation was formed with christian beliefs.

I don't believe that's entirely true. Not even getting into the more private lives of Franklin and Jefferson, just to think of a couple off the top of my head.

That being said, one of my best friends is a jew who celebrates Christmas, and sees it as more of an American holiday celebrating unchecked consumerism than anything religious. He actually used to get mad at people who tried to take away any Christmas references underway in the name of Hanukah, but wouldn't take the time to go to synagogue during the more major holidays of Passover and Rosh Hashanah. So I don't necessarily see why people would be afraid to say something offensive like "Merry Christmas"

Just my thoughts.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I don't believe that's entirely true. Not even getting into the more private lives of Franklin and Jefferson, just to think of a couple off the top of my head.

That being said, one of my best friends is a jew who celebrates Christmas, and sees it as more of an American holiday celebrating unchecked consumerism than anything religious. He actually used to get mad at people who tried to take away any Christmas references underway in the name of Hanukah, but wouldn't take the time to go to synagogue during the more major holidays of Passover and Rosh Hashanah. So I don't necessarily see why people would be afraid to say something offensive like "Merry Christmas"

Just my thoughts.
Agree completely. A lot of our founders were deists, not Christians. Deism is actually fairly distinct from Christianity and differs greatly in a lot of areas.

Either way, Christmas is as American as apple pie and if someone's truly offended when I wish them a merry Christmas, they need to find something more important to worry about.

So merry Christmas to everyone, whether they like it or not ;)

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
And that is why the First Amendment ensures freedom of religion in this country. :icon_wink (Maybe you should have gone to that history class more often.)

An earlier draft of the Declaration of Independence mentions the God of Nature--a transcendental outlook on a Christian God. "Under God" was added to the Pledge of Allegence quite a bit after the fact.

The founding fathers wanted people to feel safe to worship in their own way here. That's why you can have a big, plastic, nativity scene in your yard, and your agnostic neighbors have to deal with it.

Safe home to everyone who is protecting this country.

Raptor2216

I'm not a Christian or religious nor do I have an issues with putting up a x-mas tree in the living room. There's plenty of craziness that goes on with political correctness but you only hear from the small crazy minority because that's what sells on TV and therefore is reported on by the media. There's plenty of normal people around who aren't offended at every turn in life and go on living quietly. With that said, who cares if they don't put up the displays at stores? Like EM1 above, I consider X-mas to be more of an "American" holiday than a religious one. We all celebrate it in one form or another, even if it just means the family is getting together for dinner.

SShanerBaner

I plan on breaking out my festivus pole, having an airing of grievances, and a feats of strength competition to celebrate "a festivus for the rest of us," on December, 23

poprlj

FlyingRock, Merry Christmass to you and yours, for those who object to that phrase--Semper Fi Mac (meant in the OLD Corps way)

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
..one of my best friends is a jew who celebrates Christmas, and sees it as more of an American holiday...

Either way, Christmas is as American as apple pie...

..I consider X-mas to be more of an "American" holiday than a religious one.

Really?!?

Try visiting Great Britain, Germany, Hungary, or the Czech Republic during Christmastime and see if you still believe that. It is probably safe to say that most of our "American" Christmas traditions come from other countries.

And before anybody asks, yes, I have been to all of these places during the time period in question.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
My wife and I will begin our holiday travels on December 23rd. But when we are walking through SEA-TAC Airport, we wil not see beautiful Christmas trees like we used to. Instead, we will see these:

450port_trees_48000_birches_56557.35.jpg

What are these, one may ask? I haven't a phukin' clue either. But, since SEA-TAC Airport now celebrates "Winter", rather than "Christmas", this is what we are stuck with. Rocky, it pisses me off too.

This following article is from 2006, when this whole shenanigans came about. The airport and airline employees rebelled and have been doing so ever since. I love it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16150563/

Merry Christmas all!