• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Meridian HDTV

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm posting this here, vice the private forum as many of you may not be part of the private forum.

Comcast Cable in Meridian now has HDTV available. It's only a few channels as of right now, but it has been activated. I just called them today to turn the signal on for me (already had the HD/DVR box). Good stuff!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I know you're talking Meridian, but I'm sure it's about the same service as Mediacom here, ie, crappy. I lost my free pay-channels after six months (didn't really watch them anyway) except for Showtime. Including the SHO HD channel, I have a whopping 3 HD channels. They don't even give you Discovery HD for free. And 24 is about to start again! It's appalling. Guess it's off to bitTorrent for me...

My house came w/ a big DishTV dish, and I'm seriously thinking of switching over, despite it being more expensive. Having true digital channels, even for the regular basic channels would be nice, as well. Sorry for the threadjack, FLy, but wondering if anyone has Dish in either area and what they think?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
I know you're talking Meridian, but I'm sure it's about the same service as Mediacom here, ie, crappy.

Oh yeah, I hate Comcast with a passion.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Oh yeah, I hate Comcast with a passion.
I've been a DTV user for ~8 years and I love it. While I don't have an HDTV, I know that DTV offers quite a few HDTV channels and you can get the associated Tivo gear as well. The nice thing about the dish is that you can take it with you when you move and not worry about the hassle of having the cable folks do any kind of installation. Anyone with minimal skilz can aim a satellite dish. They also offer high speed internet if you happen to live out in the boonies and can't get DSL or Cable.

Brett

KBayDog

Meridian: From rabbit ears to HDTV in one easy step.

Great - HDTV. Is that available for 13" B&W units atop stacked milk crates? And, if not, can Walmart keep HDTV-type units in stock? And, if so, can the average Meridian-ite afford the service?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I hate you all.....

All I have is AFN :( "This city was the capital of...." blah!!!

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
I can't even afford a TV. Not just the service, the actual TV....

Yay for college. Ramen anyone?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
webmaster said:
I hate you all.....

<Shudder>. At least you're you're in one of the bizarro timezones, so you can figure out when a 2 year old episode of Everyone Loves Raymond is on. ;)

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I have direct TV here in Pace, and it's not too bad. Better than Dish Network, that's for sure. WX hardly ever impacts our new dish like the old one, and even without the HD receiver in my room, the quality is still pretty good. With dish network, it was like trying to get a flight out in primary: Slightest hint of bad weather, and no joy. Plus, we've got NFL sunday ticket, and that just rocks.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What size DishTV dish did you have? I've heard the bigger, two tuner ones are better, which is what is on my house. It's funny, I heard the exact opposite from what you're saying from someone. Guess it's pretty hit and miss.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
webmaster said:
I hate you all.....

[threadjack]Staying in Hotel New Yokosuka when I was there afforded me two engilsh speaking channels. CNN international was great during the Bush/Gore election......

[/threadjack]

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
fc2spyguy said:
[threadjack]Staying in Hotel New Yokosuka when I was there afforded me two engilsh speaking channels. CNN international was great during the Bush/Gore election......

[/threadjack]
Well, at least you didn't say Hotel Goddess.... ;)

Rainman

pilot
DirecTV was always leading the way in HD programming until Dish bought out the HD only sat company VOOM. Today, technically Dish (w/ HD and VOOM pkg) has more HD channels, but Direct has ESPN2HD and Universal HD plus over 100 NFL games per year in HD if you elect to purchase Sunday Tick.

Note both companies give you Discovery, ESPN, HDnet, HDnet Movies, HBO, Showtime, and various PPV.

Bowl season was incredible in HD. Can't wait for more cable networks to make the switch.