• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEPS today...

srqwho

pilot
Just got home from MEPS a bit earlier. I figured I'd write something about my experience since I figure there are a few guys anxious about the process. It wasn't all that bad. It took a while... 6-1:30, but well worth the wait. PLEASE like ALL the previous posts mention, make SURE you tell everybody who is doing something to you or giving you instructions that you are not enlisting... you're working with an OR. Everywhere on my paperwork was the word "enlistment" and it took a few people, but the correction was made. The part I was most anxious about was the vision test. This actually went very smoothly. The lady doing my test is married to a Rhino pilot and she knew the drill for OCS types and pilots. Another coincidental thing was that the guy sitting next to me in line was 38 and is an optometrist... heading into the AF. We chatted about PRK (which I had done) and he answered some questions I had. I tested 20/17 near and far in both eyes and got every depth perception "question" right. Maybe somebody can tell me, but the lady doing the test said "you passed, but go ahead and try E and F... you get extra points if you get these right." Extra points? I laughed like I got the joke, but she seemed serious... anybody have insight on this? For anybody not familiar with the depth perception test at MEPS, it is comprised of 6, 4 row sections of circles, and each section is assigned a letter A-F. Each line of each section has 5 circles and one of these circles stands out. I guess each set gets harder. The rest of the sections were a breeze, and although I thought I may be a victim of stage fright... things flowed with ease. The guy next to me piddled and groaned out his quota... but got the job done none the less.

And yes you are asked to bend over and "grab you cheeks and spread them"... The interview with the doc is pretty straight forward, but apparently they updated some of the PRK waiver procedures (according to him), so he had to look a few things up.

Anyway, that's the short version. My suggestions are to get there on time and make sure you voice the fact that you are not enlisting. Also, being courteous always wins.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Wow.. thanks for the warning. I thought I would make it till 40 without having to worry about that. :(

As much as I'd like to pass bad gouge and make newbies nervous... there is no poking. It is just a visual inspection for hemorrhoids and the like...

srqwho

pilot
Sorry for leaving that out... the spreading is only for "visual" inspection. No touching, although I braced for it just in case some info was withheld on the other posts.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
As much as I'd like to pass bad gouge and make newbies nervous... there is no poking. It is just a visual inspection for hemorrhoids and the like...

...and clingons. :D

Something about using the word "piddled" while discussing operation golden flow makes me cringe.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
Haha, yeah meps is deff. an experience I'll never forget. As far as the eye test goes, I asked if I could read lower lines and the guy said no. My paper work sjust said 20/20 and 20/20. I had always been 20/15 and during the test I felt I could read the next 2 lower lines fine, but he said No, sooo I really dono what that might mean. I would have rathered that my app said 20/15, but I guess it doesn't matter. If anyone knows more let us know...

and for funny experience, sitting there in our boxers the room was freezing and the guy next to puts on his shirt. One of the randoms civilian guys that worked there(well civilian attire), walks up and makes a vagina with his hands. looks at us and says," you know what this is?" Then through a series of dialogue he made fun of the other guy for putting on his shirt, and that he should be a man, and then joked saying," I'm gona tell the Dr. to give you the four finger inspection." and then pointing out, "I was going to pick on him(me), because hes going to be an officer, but you were a vagina and put your shit on." Before he left he made him call himself a vag. he was obviously joking and just trying to make light of our wait.
It was amusing, especially when he walked out and we heard through the door bendover and spread your cheeks. a few mins later(not knowing prior that it was to be expected).

Lobster

Srqwho, I had the same thing happen with my depth perception test. She was very nice but when I got about half way through she goes "Ok you passed now I bet you can't finish the whole thing" I kind of scratched my head for a minute but went ahead and knocked out the rest of it. She didn't mention anything about extra points though haha. My stomach also ended up in my throat when I got the "ok now bend over and spread your cheeks" I instantly thought I was getting stuck, then to my relief and surprise not. I heard that comes later though...:(

srqwho

pilot
I heard that comes later though...:(

Yeah from what I gather the physical at Newport and/or pcola is a bit more "involved"... but I am thinking that the physical at OCS will be the least of my worries during the first week with all the poopie attire.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I had a similar experience on Monday. My social was wrong and my name was spelled incorrectly. After a few nice words (don't cop an attitude with these people as many others do) everything was straightened out.

I was done by 945 though. In and out. I was actually back home before the wife woke up, and it took an hour and 15 minutes to get there.

AJB37

All these MEPS stories make me feel fortunate that my recruiter is having me get a flight physical at Miramar. Of course, I may have to go through MEPS anyways for a ground contract because as it turns out I don't hear so well... damn kids and their rap musics.

Lobster

Yeah from what I gather the physical at Newport and/or pcola is a bit more "involved"... but I am thinking that the physical at OCS will be the least of my worries during the first week with all the poopie attire.

and chrome domes :p

Lobster

I went to MEPS today too. Really a good time. I couldn't pee in the cup with the person staring at me.

I had stage fright as well. I waited to pee all morning so I'd be quick and get it over with...steped up to the plate and choked...sitting there like "are you f*#king kidding me right now???" :icon_rage

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
You will pee again in front of people at OCS, but you get over stage fright when your bladder is about to explode and you have 5 minutes to get 50 guys to piss into 3 toilets and 2 urinals. You'll have 5 dudes to one toilet and NO shame.

As for the pooper. You WILL NOT get stuck in the pooper until 40, or if you have a history of prostate cancer in your family, 25. So rest assured, no pooper. Not even at OCS.

Lobster

You will pee again in front of people at OCS, but you get over stage fright when your bladder is about to explode and you have 5 minutes to get 50 guys to piss into 3 toilets and 2 urinals. You'll have 5 dudes to one toilet and NO shame.

As for the pooper. You WILL NOT get stuck in the pooper until 40, or if you have a history of prostate cancer in your family, 25. So rest assured, no pooper. Not even at OCS.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the hell was wrong with me, I play hockey and all privacy in the locker room is gonezo the minute you walk through the door.