• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Meps last Friday

bob88899

Alright... i went to MEPS Ft. Meade for my physical friday... what a funtime that was... i have bad eyes which i already knew (distance)... they are correctable to 20/20 though. My issue was that i recently just broke my glasses and one of my contacts ripped (the last set). well i got to the depth perception part and i told the lady i only had one contact in (one is better than non for me as everthing blends together and i can see better) she was like well try it both ways.. well w.out them i couldnt see the damn circles!? so i tried it w/it in... and i couldnt see the circles pop out... mind you this isnt the first time ive been to meps (i went 2 yrs ago out of college and applied to OTS NAV/ABM), didnt have any issues then or any problems whenever ive had my yearly eye exam. So i failed the depth perception part of the vision section, but she was nice enough to put it in the uncorrected box, and she told me to come back with both sets anytime to redo it (which i found kind of sketchy). i know NFO requires depth perception, so im kinda feeling gettin nervous. I immediatly went to an eye doctor and they said that the one contact most likely affected my depth perception as the focus point on both eyes werent the same. he also didnt have the depth perception test (how the F does that happen?). i told my recruiter and he said to get my eyes checked by a private eye doctor (one that could test my depth perception) and get some documentation. So wed i booked an appointment to get some tests done. Anyways im pretty sure I dont have problems w.my depth perception and hopefully i confirm this wed and get it in writting. I just see this becoming a big mess if i get selected NFO having failed the MEPS depth perception test and having a private doctor saying im fine.. anyone have some advice on how i should proceed? Other than this Meps was pretty non eventful... Met a few other OCS hopefulls there too..

JTH

I'm not in a similar situation but one thing I would recommend: When you go the the private eye doc with both contacts, if you do pass the depth perception test, have him/her actually write you a note saying "Bob passed his depth perception test, etc. etc." and include all of their contact info on it.

At MEPS is saw 20/20 but the SNA board still wrote back to my OR asking for me to see a private eye doc. Mind you i've never had a single problem with my eyes. Good thing was, I had already went to the private eye doc 2 days before meps because I wanted to practice the depth exam and just get my eyes checked in general. Had her give me a copy of the report and write a letter saying I don't have any problems and gave the report to the OR and everything was fine.

gjhouston

JTH's situation is pretty much the exact same as what I went through. All I can add is to take a copy of the SNA/SNFO vision requirements off the NOMI website to your private eye doc to make sure they know exactly what you need and administer the proper tests.

Look under the physical standards part.
http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navme...cuments/Waiver Guide - Physical Standards.pdf

Yep, Depth Perception is not required for NFO. Make sure you check out the Applicant Checklist (1.22) at the end for an easy to read list of what's required for your physical.

bob88899

Wow somehow i thought it was always required. Well i think im still going to have the exam, just for the simple fact i havnt had any problems before (hopefully i still dont). Definatley takes the pressure off me though. Thanks for the info!

gjhouston

Wow somehow i thought it was always required. Well i think im still going to have the exam, just for the simple fact i havnt had any problems before (hopefully i still dont). Definatley takes the pressure off me though. Thanks for the info!

Most of the time the corpsman/person who is doing the exam doesn't know which tests are required for which designator so they just do all of them for everyone. When it is being reviewed by NAMI it doesn't matter if it is there if you didn't need it and didn't do well. Although, that is not necessarily true with abnormal labs. If something is submitted that is not required but is not within normal limits and is not remarked on by the flight surgeon it could get kicked back for more info or additional tests.

Sorry, probably more than you needed to know, I used to be a reviewer at NAMI.