• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEPS Issues

jbweldon04

Eye Guy
I can see his correspondence letters sent back to him with angry words from his superiors.
My current XO sent back a correspondence letter with the Naval Official Correspondence Manual book as well. I think she was proving a point to this JO.

Maturin90

I have not yet begun to fight.
As swimming was mentioned I have a brief question on the subject. I am a decent swimmer and was on a swimming team in my younger years so I am not worried about failing the swimming test. However, floating is a whole different ball game. Every time I try my legs act like anchors and drag me down. I recall when I was younger that this was not a problem but after fencing and a lot of running my legs have increased in size and I am wondering if anyone can recommend some floating tips. In addition, is the swimming portion conducted in a chlorine pool or saltwater?

I already have a current flight phys from NAMI. I hear that it is good for 2 years. Will I need to retake the phys one I arrive at OCS?

alaurin

All day, every day!
As swimming was mentioned I have a brief question on the subject. I am a decent swimmer and was on a swimming team in my younger years so I am not worried about failing the swimming test. However, floating is a whole different ball game. Every time I try my legs act like anchors and drag me down. I recall when I was younger that this was not a problem but after fencing and a lot of running my legs have increased in size and I am wondering if anyone can recommend some floating tips. In addition, is the swimming portion conducted in a chlorine pool or saltwater?

I have the same problem. I usually flutter my feet or legs a little when I exhale and find that helps. You can also flutter your arms a little to remain buoyant. Keep in mind that the air in your lungs helps maintain buoyancy, so its normal to sink a bit when you exhale. To a certain extent, you can also use the weight of your head as a counterweight to keep from your legs dragging you down (ie: push your head back into the water).

eddieoctane

I already had several labs drawn, got my eyes and hearing checked, and my physical is scheduled for this afternoon. Unfortunately, I have to get the drug tests (urine drug screen, blood alcohol, and serum drug test) at an off-base facility. This isn't an issue in and of itself, but it does leave me with questions regarding chain of custody.

Do I just tell the people at the test place to send a copy of the results to my recruiter and sign whatever form allows them to do so?

I've tried contacting my recruiter about this a few times and haven't been able to reach him, and the drug testing is the only thing I have left to take care of. I don't want to let anything fall through the cracks because of a delay in getting any test done. Any help that any of you can provide is much appreciated.

elliottm2

I really hate to sound like a worry wart but I need some advice. I still haven't gone to MEPS and my officer recruiter told me I have to be there by the 30th, not including tomorrow that leaves 8 days that MEPS is open that I can go get this stuff done. NONE of my medical stuff has been done. Assuming results were released August 1, I need to have this done by the 30th. MY OR doesn't seem in any rush to schedule me for MEPS. I have been calling him every day for the past week to try and get done what I need to and he just keeps putting me off.

To put it bluntly I am concerned that this lack of concern if left unchecked will lead to me having no MEPS done by SEPT 1, and that it will reverse my pro-rec Y .i am extremely frustrated; I feel like my OR is really making it difficult to ensure that I get medically cleared on time. what can I do to get the ball rolling? Is it possible to go to MEPS through other means and get necessary clearance?

I don't want the opportunity to go to OCS to slip through my fingers because I can't get a straight answer, the forms i need to fill out, or an appointment to get Medically cleared from my OR and his staff.

As always, any and all help are appreciated.

eddieoctane

You have more important things to worry about…chain of custody need not be one of them.

Well, without a verifiable chain of custody, the results of any drug test are garbage. Which means taking the test again, which means another $100 out of pocket. I have nothing to hide from a drug test, I just wanted to make sure that I don't waste money by putting down the wrong contact information. And considering that the drug test is the last remaining thing my recruiter needs from me in terms of medical stuff, it is pretty high up on my list of priorities.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wait, they're making you do all this stuff (medical, drug test, etc) on your own and out of your own pocket? That doesn't sound right at all. Please explain. All your medical testing, including your initial drug screening, should be done at MEPS or some other Navy sanctioned facility.

jmcquate

Contributor
That "chain of custody" bullshit works both ways.........just ask Ryan Braun. Brett's right, all of the government required pissing I've done was on the tax payers dime.

eddieoctane

Wait, they're making you do all this stuff (medical, drug test, etc) on your own and out of your own pocket? That doesn't sound right at all. Please explain. All your medical testing, including your initial drug screening, should be done at MEPS or some other Navy sanctioned facility.

I am working with a recruiter in Philly before my dad got PCSed to Camp Lejeune. Philly has a MEPS facility, but there isn't one close to Jacksonville. Were I still in Philly, I'd have gone to MEPS up there. In Jacksonville, you get sent to the branch clinic aboard Camp Lejeune, but they don't do any pre-enlistment/pre-comissioning drug testing on base. If I was dealing with a recruiter down here, they often have funds set aside to pay for the drug testing. Since my guy in Philly doesn't have cash to pay for my drug test, I get to. I know it sounds weird, but no one at the branch clinic, NRD Philly, or the one recruiter I reached out to down here seemed surprised in the least by the situation.

It just annoys me that Camp Lejeune can't do the screening at their drug testing clinic, but it is what it is.

exNavyOffRec

In most cases NRC won't reverse a Y to N right at 30 days, but your OR should be on this, the fact that he isn't makes me wonder WTF he is doing, what rank is your OR.