• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEPS Issues

canav08

Final Select SNA OCS 08 July 12
Wow, if they were willing to work with me, that would be awesome of them. Delayed is far better than denied.

Well, I've rambled enough. Here's to hoping all goes smooth!

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
I'm aware that if you don't pass your flight physical for whatever reason that you can redesignate, and this is often SNA to SNFO.

But if you get a major whammy that keeps you out of the air, what's the process like? Do they just say "Job X right here, take it or DOR?" Can you stay at OCS for a few weeks until something opens up that you want? Does some kind of board play a role in redesignations? Can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks!

exNavyOffRec

The people that I had that had to redesignate it was pretty cut and dry, if you weren't eligible for SNA or SNFO but still unrestricted line qualified you became a SWO, if you weren't URL qualified then most were made Supply, a few became Intel.

In most cases there was no "hang out and see what opens up" it was "yes or no and head home"

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
If you want to be an Officer in the Navy, I suggest you take what you can and re-designate once you are in the Navy.

If you are do commission and cannot re-designate on Active Duty, drop in to the Reserve, re-designate, and look for Active Duty recalls, which do pop every now and again.

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
I'm aware that if you don't pass your flight physical for whatever reason that you can redesignate, and this is often SNA to SNFO.

But if you get a major whammy that keeps you out of the air, what's the process like? Do they just say "Job X right here, take it or DOR?" Can you stay at OCS for a few weeks until something opens up that you want? Does some kind of board play a role in redesignations? Can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks!

NAMI Whammy happens in Pensacola, not Newport. If you end up NPQ for aviator at OCS, it will all be situational dependent and it will come down to the needs of the NAVY.

If you get the actual NAMI Whammy in Pensacola, you will already be a Commissioned Officer and long gone from OCS. You will have to go through a board, like anything in the NAVY for re-designations. Again it is all situational dependent and it will come down to the needs of the NAVY.

You will have a flight physical at OCS, but most likely if you passed the entrance physical, you should not have too much trouble. Heck, the depth perception at OCS was much easier than the one I did for the entrance physical. The NAMI physical is a bit more in depth, but should not be a huge issue if you have passed the OCS physical, but again things can happen. NAMI whammy is typically more of an issue for those that come from the Academy and NROTC.

exNavyOffRec

NAMI Whammy happens in Pensacola, not Newport. If you end up NPQ for aviator at OCS, it will all be situational dependent and it will come down to the needs of the NAVY.

If you get the actual NAMI Whammy in Pensacola, you will already be a Commissioned Officer and long gone from OCS. You will have to go through a board, like anything in the NAVY for re-designations. Again it is all situational dependent and it will come down to the needs of the NAVY.

You will have a flight physical at OCS, but most likely if you passed the entrance physical, you should not have too much trouble. Heck, the depth perception at OCS was much easier than the one I did for the entrance physical. The NAMI physical is a bit more in depth, but should not be a huge issue if you have passed the OCS physical, but again things can happen. NAMI whammy is typically more of an issue for those that come from the Academy and NROTC.

That makes it clearer, I normally heard the info from the guys at OCS getting redesignated, we had a few that were assigned to us that did get whammied at Pensacola, about a year ago the groups they were in only had about 10% get the ok to redesignate, the others were IRR'd

WEGL12

VT-28
Can you not redesignate to Nuke at OCS if something comes up and you can't go SNA or SNFO? I was talking to a guy the other day about it and it got me thinking. I know the application process is completely different. But I was wondering if they would only give you the SWO option if you were willing to go subs or surface nuke. Just curious and saw this thread so figured it wouldn't hurt to ask..

BigRed389

None
Can you not redesignate to Nuke at OCS if something comes up and you can't go SNA or SNFO? I was talking to a guy the other day about it and it got me thinking. I know the application process is completely different. But I was wondering if they would only give you the SWO option if you were willing to go subs or surface nuke. Just curious and saw this thread so figured it wouldn't hurt to ask..

They would have to get you a nuke interview. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would be extremely costly and inconvenient for them, especially at OCS, at a point where you may or may not even graduate, when they could just roll you to SWO with some paperwork. My processing literally happened overnight. Not sure if PERS actual being in town helped with that or not, but I've never seen the Navy move that fast since.

If you really wanted to go Nuke as your #2 and you brought the right quals to make the case for you, due to demand, it's actually not too hard (or at least it wasn't in '09) to redesignate from regular SWO to nuke SWO. The timing generally works in your favor to support it.

WEGL12

VT-28
They would have to get you a nuke interview. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would be extremely costly and inconvenient for them, especially at OCS, at a point where you may or may not even graduate, when they could just roll you to SWO with some paperwork. My processing literally happened overnight. Not sure if PERS actual being in town helped with that or not, but I've never seen the Navy move that fast since.

If you really wanted to go Nuke as your #2 and you brought the right quals to make the case for you, due to demand, it's actually not too hard (or at least it wasn't in '09) to redesignate from regular SWO to nuke SWO. The timing generally works in your favor to support it.

That makes sense. I hope I am not in a position where I have to pick something besides SNA or SNFO during OCS. If that did happen I would more than likely select SWO then try to move over into the nuke side of things. Can you transfer to subs from SWO in basically the same process? In the end my main goal is becoming a Naval Officer.

BigRed389

None
That makes sense. I hope I am not in a position where I have to pick something besides SNA or SNFO during OCS. If that did happen I would more than likely select SWO then try to move over into the nuke side of things. Can you transfer to subs from SWO in basically the same process? In the end my main goal is becoming a Naval Officer.

It's probably not as easy going to subs. Reason it works out easily for SWO's is that SWO Nuke's don't go to nuke school until they finish their first tour where they qualify as a SWO. Subs reverse order, nuke school first, then the Fleet.

Another thing is going SWO to SWO Nuke is a pretty straightforward conversation between detailers, going SWO to Sub is going to require a lat transfer board.

exNavyOffRec

The problem is getting you setup for the schedule to see the Admiral, he only sees so many per month, and they want you to go on a nuke VIP trip prior to interview, not saying it can't happen but odds are very against it. I have seen people that went to OCS for aviation get redesignated SWO/Supply/Intel

exNavyOffRec

It's probably not as easy going to subs. Reason it works out easily for SWO's is that SWO Nuke's don't go to nuke school until they finish their first tour where they qualify as a SWO. Subs reverse order, nuke school first, then the Fleet.

Another thing is going SWO to SWO Nuke is a pretty straightforward conversation between detailers, going SWO to Sub is going to require a lat transfer board.

Not really, in 23 years in the nuke field I have seen just one person that gone from SWO conventional to SWO (N) and it took him 6 months before he even was approved and then went to nuke school, you still have to get your transcripts screened, then get set up for an interview with the Director for his approval. He was told that what they did for him was something that is never done.

SWO (N) has no shortage of people to fill the billets, especially for males, they normally fill up early in the FY, it is much easier to put males in Subs.

BigRed389

None
Not really, in 23 years in the nuke field I have seen just one person that gone from SWO conventional to SWO (N) and it took him 6 months before he even was approved and then went to nuke school, you still have to get your transcripts screened, then get set up for an interview with the Director for his approval. He was told that what they did for him was something that is never done.

SWO (N) has no shortage of people to fill the billets, especially for males, they normally fill up early in the FY, it is much easier to put males in Subs.

Unusual, probably, but clearly not impossible. The guy I'm talking about was a #2/3 of 15 Chem major who qual'd on time, and we were back from deployment, dry dock bound with 8 months to his PRD. So already hit the wickets to be a Nuke, and demonstrating superior performance on track to be a Nuke.

I think the simple fact it's rarely even asked for helps. I can't imagine they go an entire FY without at least one attrite before they hit nuke school, for medical or job performance issues, and if you're the only guy asking and qualified....I would think it's a pretty simple supply demand conversation where the boss at PERS for both is a SWO.
6 months sounds about right, so yes, planning ahead would be crucial...but definitely easier than getting the stars aligned around a 1120 lat transfer package and your PRD timing for a board that only meets twice a year.

exNavyOffRec

Unusual, probably, but clearly not impossible. The guy I'm talking about was a #2/3 of 15 Chem major who qual'd on time, and we were back from deployment, dry dock bound with 8 months to his PRD. So already hit the wickets to be a Nuke, and demonstrating superior performance on track to be a Nuke.

I think the simple fact it's rarely even asked for helps. I can't imagine they go an entire FY without at least one attrite before they hit nuke school, for medical or job performance issues, and if you're the only guy asking and qualified....I would think it's a pretty simple supply demand conversation where the boss at PERS for both is a SWO.
6 months sounds about right, so yes, planning ahead would be crucial...but definitely easier than getting the stars aligned around a 1120 lat transfer package and your PRD timing for a board that only meets twice a year.

I wouldn't say impossible either, I knew one guy that did it.

They always over select, usually the shortage if it does come up is in subs, some guy gets sub DQ at OCS so he becomes a SWO N, that is how we sometimes get so many DIVO's on the carriers that we would have a guy that was a DIVO for a 4 man division, now that is good for the watchbill with all these extra people.

Nuke side is kind of odd, everything dealing with bringing a person into the program is the Directors office in DC, as well as manning, the detailer in the nuke world often just parrots what is on the slate, and then reacts to what comes down from the Directors office, the way it was described to me it is kind of like the movie office space "I have X bosses", "Did you get the memo? let me send that to you"