• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEPS Hearing Test

lg106

How was the MEPS hearing test, how did it work? Does anyone know any tricks that can help you out some if you don’t have the greatest of hearing? Thank you for your help.

swerdna

None
Contributor
How was the MEPS hearing test, how did it work? Does anyone know any tricks that can help you out some if you don’t have the greatest of hearing? Thank you for your help.

uhh...I'd say it sounds like you want us to help you cheat. But I will tell you that if you hit the button when you hear the noise, it will shut off. So not everyone finishes at the same time. And the noises are kind of random, so it tries to trick you into thinking you'll hear something when you don't, and vice versa.

Either way, go into it honestly. Nobody in the military needs someone watching their back who can't actually hear...

2ndGen

Third times a charm

I know a former 0311 that had done two depoyments to Iraq that did fine with the hearing, so I think you'll be ok.

MasterBates

What lazers said, and also keep your mouth open a bit when you are taking it. It helps a little bit.

And. CLEAN THE WAX OUT OF YOUR EARS.

We had a guy in my OCS class fail his hearing test at NOMI. Because he had earwax so built up the doc had to dissolve it with some stuff.

Yankee Uniform Tango
I remember I'd get paranoid while taking it and think "Fuck, did I just hear a beep or did I just imagine it?" Looking back, it's pretty funny...You'll be fine, I've yet to hear (da-dum ching) of anyone ever failing this.

yohoe

You can't get NPQ'd for bad hearing. I have bad hearing and talking to the guy at MEPs, he said it's impossible. You're hearing will decrease a lot throughout your career due to the engine noises and having to turn up the volume on that tape player strapped to your leg as your flying.

*edit* It's difficult to get disqualified. There are reasons you can get disqualified (http://www.military.com/Recruiting/Content/0,13898,rec_step07_DQ_medical,,00.html) but those are more serious issues than the standard hearing loss. I have a large hearing decrease in my right ear and didn't have any trouble getting through.