• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEPS DQ before getting to MEPS

kstrick7

Back in July after working with my OR for 6 months he sent me an email saying I was not qualified for naval service based on a history of anxiety, but I had never been to MEPS. I was crushed and decided not to reply yet, but to wait to show that I have no issues at all and have continued to do well in school and work for the past four months in order to hopefully get to MEPS and try for a waiver. I still have not received an answer back and I don't know if it's because he is very busy or he does not know what to reply, since he usually replied quickly (and I did check to make sure he is still recruiting). Before contacting my OR for a third time I want to see if this situation is even fixable.

I was never diagnosed with anything, but my parents sent me to a doc when I was 19 and they put me on medication. I was never really encouraged to get better, they just kept filling prescriptions until I finally realized after 2.5 years that I didn't need it to function in school, work, etc. I haven't taken anything in two years, and I have done much better in school since I stopped meds (have all As so far since then), I am a manager at the store I work at, and have no problems dealing with stress (I'm studying math and cs, taking 18 credits, not exactly easy especially while working 25 hours a week). I was able to also get a note from my doctor stating that I am fine, this is not a current issue, and I can handle military service. I detailed everything to my OR and have offered to go to any additional appointments that could be necessary, psych evals, whatever even if I have to pay.

I was all set to submit my package when I got the news of the DQ so I have everything completed. Even if I can get to MEPS would it be likely to get a waiver before the Feb 5th deadline for IDC? And is it possible to try to get cleared just for Restricted Line duty?

Also, I don't know if this has anything to do with getting the DQ, but I had filled out a DD2807-2 in February, in April they asked for blood work for my thyroid (do not expect any issue here, my numbers are good and under control), and I never heard back. Then in June my OR says my DD2807 is out of date so I had to fill out a new one. Almost three weeks later is when he emailed me about the DQ. Why would this not have come up when I filled out the first prescreen form? I found that whole situation a bit odd but I of course have no clue how MEPS runs so who knows.

Sorry for the long post, I just want to know if getting to MEPS is possible, chances for a waiver, getting cleared for RL only, if I should wait longer to try to get to MEPS to show I'm ok.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

exNavyOffRec

MEPS will prescreen you before going to MEPS, if you don't meet basic enlistment standards they can DQ you based on medical records.

If MEPS says no then often the OR will ask N3M for a courtesy review, they can either say no, or they can say continue to process, not sure if that is what he did, but the timeline does kind of fit, I would ask your OR if he asked N3M for a courtesy review.

I believe the standard that N3M still likes to see is a person off meds for 5 years, it used to be shorter but they lengthened it several years ago.

In terms of what the military looks at it isn't just "fine now" it in many cases it is "ANY history of" (being prescribed medication would be a history of) will be a DQ factor (psych issues very much so)

In general what you have described is somewhat normal, the times seem a bit long but some MEPS are slow.

kstrick7

I'll ask my OR about that courtesy review if I can ever get a hold of him. Our MEPS is pretty bad, he constantly complained about it and I had to go there to take the AFOQT, which took ALL day.

Would a review need me to send all my records in including the doctor's note? The Dr. hadn't written anything in my record back when I sent it in February so it could maybe, possibly help now...

If I were to go to grad school and work until I hit 5 years off meds, would I be able to apply for OCS then? Or will I be screwed since I already got a DQ once?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for answering.

exNavyOffRec

He would take all the records he sent to MEPS and send them up, then they would say yes or no, but even then you have many hoops, there would be a psychological eval from a contractor and then N3M would make a decision, and to be honest very few of my guys that needed a psych eval ever got in.