• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mental Exercise: How fast did I go?

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Ok, this might keep some of you occupied for a bit, and I am going nuts trying to figure this out.

The story is this: I am recovering from stress fractures while trying to stay in shape and improve my overall fitness. My physical therapist has me doing a 3/1 walk/run. This means I am walking briskly for three minutes and then running for one minute.

It so happens that I covered almost exactly 1 mile during a 12 minute walk/run event. I'm trying to extrapolate how fast I was going during the running portion. (This way I could know how fast I would have covered my three miles for a PFT, given that I maintain that speed once my bones are up to it.)

Initially, I figured I had run for 1/4 of the time, so I must have covered 1/4 of that mile. But, NO! I was running faster for that time, so I covered more distance. Catchy, eh?

So, I'm stumped on it, and my nerdy friends here are working on it but have no solution yet. Any takers? I figure some of you more navigationally-trained professionals might have some fancy formulas that I don't.

Oh, the obvious solution of having me run a set distance and timing it...well, that would make too much sense.

I give rep to the first one to answer, if it's mathematically possible. ;)

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
you've got two unknowns: The basic equation would be

9w + 3r = 1,

where w and r are the walking and running speeds in units of miles/minute. So, time yourself walking a mile at the same pace, use that as your w and solve for r:

r = 1/3*(1-9w).

Then, use that to figure out the 3 mile time if you could sustain that pace for 3 miles. i.e. t = 3/r.

Example, let's say you walked at 3.5 mph, or about .0583 mpm, that means your "r" is about .1583 or 9.5 mph, which gives a 3 mile time of about 19 minutes.

In this example you would have ended up running just about 1/2 a mile, which is obviously a lot different than running 3 miles, so the mathematical estimate might not be a great indicator.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Google Jeff Galloway. I used his training method, which is a walk/run one, to train for and run two marathons in 30 days. I no longer have his training manual, but it covers this.

MasterBates

NERDS!!
ogre2.jpg

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Groovy...I'll be pretty happy if I can keep that pace up all the way through three miles.

"On the Moon, nerds have their pants pulled down and they are spanked with moon rocks!"

muc1

here's a quickie calc if you know your walking pace...

Pace = 60/[20-3(walking speed)]
fewer conversions

if your walking speed is 3.5, then
60/20-3*3.5 = 6.13 minutes/mile (same as above)

DimndDave14

If you want to get a little more in depth you could measure out the distance you ran. Because the 3.5 mph for walking variable is the average fast pace walk for a man. This does not include if you are pushing yourself, hilly terrain or stride length. Also the 19 minute estimate run does not show fatigue that you would get with a consistent three miles. But that does not mean you should not shoot for 19 minutes or even better when you’re at 100%

PS Ogre also turned into a NERD as well

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
bingo...then do the crunches afterwards...you get drunk all over again

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Good call! I'll do that for today's PT...got lots of Guiness hiding in the fridge.

Pitchlock

pilot
you've got two unknowns: The basic equation would be

9w + 3r = 1,

where w and r are the walking and running speeds in units of miles/minute. So, time yourself walking a mile at the same pace, use that as your w and solve for r:

r = 1/3*(1-9w).

Then, use that to figure out the 3 mile time if you could sustain that pace for 3 miles. i.e. t = 3/r.

Example, let's say you walked at 3.5 mph, or about .0583 mpm, that means your "r" is about .1583 or 9.5 mph, which gives a 3 mile time of about 19 minutes.

In this example you would have ended up running just about 1/2 a mile, which is obviously a lot different than running 3 miles, so the mathematical estimate might not be a great indicator.

Nice try, but you need to account for acceleration and deceleration between walking and running transitions....I'll leave it a an exercise....ha, ha. (in my best nerd voice)