• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Memorization...

Fire17

does anyone have any tips or tricks to memorizing the general orders or any of the other necessary information? I am not the best with memorization.... and dont want to forget them on the spot

Writing them down repeatedly? putting them on my ipod? writing them down and placing them under my pillow?

thanks...

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Writing them down repeatedly? putting them on my ipod? writing them down and placing them under my pillow?

YES.

Whatever works, you need to find it. If you're going to be a SNA, it's better that you become a memorization wizard sooner than later. In the training command, your ability to recite procedures should be of parlor trick quality regardless of whether you can actually execute in the cockpit. to show that you could obviously recall the procedure in the cockpit.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Try it all and see what works for you. Everyone learns differently. I tried it all when it came to EP boldface. Flashcards, writing over and over on a dry erase board, recording myself reading it and playing it back on repeat, etc. I found what worked best for me was reading the EP over and over out loud, staring at it to try create a mental picture of it, and writing it on the dry erase. The audio recordings did nothing for me and I felt that flashcards were better for testing myself/staying sharp. But I learn best by seeing something or doing it, so your mileage may vary.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mnemonic devices work best for me. It's still how I retain lists and EPs. Try reciting the info you're trying to memorize while shooting baskets or throwing a ball at a target on the wall or whatever. If you can rattle it off while distracted, you've got it by rote. And get someone to quiz you, don't just do it alone. It's too easy to combine yourself that you know something well enough; get someone to keep you honest.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
As others have said, flash cards, writing it over and over again, repeating it to yourself, reciting it on PT runs, whatever you have to do to get it down in your brain.

MarineMike is right though....you are going to have to memorize procedures, EPs, limits, etc. all through flight school for many different types of aircraft. So you need to start building that base now and being good at memorizing.

BUDU

iPod is excellent. But when you recite them along with the MP3, use the same inflection. Every time. It will make it easier to memorize if you know exactly how it's supposed to sound.

yakboyslim

None
Married? GF willing to put up with shit? If yes to either of those make flash cards and have them run them with you while you drive places, before bed, etc. My wife could probably recite the boldface for T-6 at this point. Before I went to OCS I had the entire gouge packet memorized just running them whenever we drove somewhere.

I make flash cards of everything, run them alone and with my wife, and then also make a "blank" version of whatever I am studying and put it in a sheet protector then write out the answers with a dry erase marker.

Try everything while you prepare for OCS, like others have said, you will be doing a lot of memorization and you need to find what works for you best.