• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Memorization Inconsistency

Status
Not open for further replies.

mklepac

This may be trivial but since I hear you gotta know the Big 4 word-for-word I'd like to know what's correct. The OCS web page and the OCS Guild to Success book seem to differ on a few things.
i.e:
Code of Conduct #5
WEB: I will evade answering further questions to the BEST of my ability
BOOK: I will evade answering further question to the UTMOST of my ability

Orders of a Sentry #3
WEB: Report all violations of orders I am instructed to CARRY OUT.
BOOK: Report all violations of orders I am instructed to ENFORCE.

Orders of a Sentry #6 (2 issues)
WEB: Receive, obey, and pass on to the sentry THAT relieves me, all orders from the Commanding Officer, Command Duty Officer,
Officer of the Deck, and Officers and Non-Commissioned Officers of the watch only
BOOK: Receive, obey, and pass on to the sentry WHO relieves me, all orders from the Commanding Officer, Command Duty Officer,
Officer of the Deck, and ALL Officers and Non-Commissioned Officers of the watch only.

Orders of a Sentry #10
WEB: Salute all officers and all colors and standards not cased
BOOK: Salute all officers and all colors and standards AND COLORS not cased.

Orders of a Sentry #11
WEB: Be especially watchful at night and during the time FOR challenging, to challenge all persons on or near my post, and to allow no one to pass without proper authority.
BOOK: Be especially watchful at night and during the time OF challenging, to challenge all persons on or near my post, and to allow no one to pass without proper authority.

Does everyone's book have the above or do I have a messed up version? My recruiter gave it to me 6 months ago. The web page I'm looking at is: http://www.cnet.navy.mil/nascweb/ocs/ocs_memorization.htm

Thanks,
Mike

Gator

The general orders that you found on the web are consistent with what I was taught in the Marines. They ahould be accurate since they are the same in the Navy with the exception of General order #6. In the Corps the chain of command is slightly different.

mattlowery

Mike,

My recruiter gave me this little "steno pad" type OCS booklet. it has everything and anything in it. did you get it?? it has the big 4 in their, so i'm just going to focus on how it is in there. it has 2 verses for Anchors away and one for Marine Hymn. Not sure if we need to know more for Marine hymn or not.

Matt L.

Gator

Matt L.
I looked at the booklet that you were talking about and the version of the Marine Hymn is only the first verse. I would recommend that you learn the other versus considering you will be facing a Marine DI.

Grunt

Never been to Navy OCS, but I have been through quite a bit of the memorization game with the Army. Remember that no matter how cold you know it, you will forget a part or the DI will come up with something that you aren't "required" to know just to hammer you if he wants. I suspect that you'll do push ups to muscle failure whenever the DI wants you to, regardless of whether you know how many eggs are cooking on the Admirals cap.

Mike the Grunt

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My version from Bootcamp 1992:

Code of Conduct #5: Best
Orders of a Sentry #3: Enforce

Orders of a sentry #6: Who...all

Orders of a Sentry #10: Salute all officers and all colors and standards not cased.

Orders of a Sentry #11: For

This is from what I remembered that I memorized. Hope it helps.

--Steve Wilkins

gt0767a

Mike,

Here are the correct versions:

#5 utmost
#3 enforce
#6 that, there is no 'all'
#10 no 'and colors' (only once in that sentence)
#11 for

Hope that helps, and believe me you need to know it verbatim. (a big plus if you have it down before you get here)

OC Felice

unfUSN

mklepac... Sorry to say that your just gonna have to adapt-and-overcome. Good luck! Just memorize one version of the BIG 4... and if there are any changes at OCS they won't be too hard to fix.

ENS Payne

Status
Not open for further replies.