• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medically Disqualified (spontaneous pneumothorax). Anything I can do?

tbutler

I went through the process of applying to be a Navy Officer and after MEPS I was disqualified for service because of a spontaneous pneumothorax in 2015, and then another spontaneous pneumothorax in 2016 to my other lung. The doctor at MEPS said I was disqualified for the moment, but I could likely get a waiver to clear me because both lungs have been treated with pleurodesis (the procedure accepted for waiver eligibility) and have shown no signs of weakness since the procedures (for context purposes I am very physically fit). My recruiter said to send over a pulmonary functions test as well as a CT scan of my lungs to be considered for the waiver. I had both the functions test and CT scan preformed, the doctor's interpretation had them both looking normal. We submitted those in, and I was not granted the waiver.

I was wondering, is there is anything else I can do in this situation to be considered for the waiver?

And if not, could the Air Forces possibly view my case differently and accept the functions test and CT scan clearing me for the waiver if Navy is ruled out?

tbutler

Were you DQ’d by the Navy in 2015, 2016 and recently? 3 times?

If that’s the case maybe try the army? They’re usually the most forgiving in terms of waivers.
I was told this Tuesday, March 14th that I didn't get the waiver. This is the only time I have applied to the Navy (or military in general) and my first time being DQ'd. The surgeries that DQ'd me took place in 2015 and 2016 when I was 16 and 17 years old (I am 24 now). I had no thought of joining the military back then so I was oblivious that it may impact my future.

I will check out the Army as I have heard the same in how they are forgiving with waivers. I will still most likely contact an Air Force recruiter as well just to see what they think about my situation, and if they have ever seen someone with a similar medical case cleared.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I was told this Tuesday, March 14th that I didn't get the waiver. This is the only time I have applied to the Navy (or military in general) and my first time being DQ'd. The surgeries that DQ'd me took place in 2015 and 2016 when I was 16 and 17 years old (I am 24 now). I had no thought of joining the military back then so I was oblivious that it may impact my future.

I will check out the Army as I have heard the same in how they are forgiving with waivers. I will still most likely contact an Air Force recruiter as well just to see what they think about my situation, and if they have ever seen someone with a similar medical case cleared.

I wouldn’t have your hopes up too high with Air Force as they may not have aviation openings and their medical standards are usually not as lenient as navy.

exNavyOffRec

Even if you had been thinking of joining the military back then your result would probably be the same, a person shouldn't sacrifice their health.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
As the parent of a kid who went through spontaneous pneumothorax - I am sorry to read of this. My son suffered horribly and it was painful as a parent witnessing it.

tbutler

Thank you that’s very kind. It was rough but I believe it shaped me into a stronger man knowing I’m capable of recovering from such a thing. I hope your son is doing well! Going through a pneumothorax is something I wish on no one.