• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medical

lfonten2

So I just got a bunch of paperwork from my recruiter regarding medical history. It looks like I'm going to have to go back and get explanations for basically every time I've ever been seen by a doctor. My question is, what exactly will disqualify you for medical reasons? I'm 100% healthy right now, and a thorough medical examination would support that, but if you go back and look, my records may seem a little sketchy: broken arms, knee problems, injured back, inhaler use for a bad cough .. etc. I was a gymnast for years and tons of my injuries resulted from that. I haven't had any problems with any of those things for years, but it might not look great on paper. What do you guys think?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
The key to getting by the medical folks is: being asymptomatic for a period of time, usually a year, full range of motion and, in the case of some medications, being off them for a period of time.

Your record does not appear to be out of the ordinary.

How long ago did you use the inhaler...what was it use for....was it prescribed...have you been diagnosed as symptom free for that condition????

Gymnasts....mmmm...during my college days I was one of the drivers for an NAIA (women's) national championship meet. Ahhh, memories.

lfonten2

I used the inhaler about five years ago.. i got sick, and had a cough that lasted for a while. They thought it might have been allergy related so they prescribed me albuteral. The thing is.. it didn't really do anything, and the cough eventually just went away. I'm pretty sure the inhaler was just sort of a quick fix. I don't think I really ever had a "condition" that required it. No problems now or anything.

BENDER

pilot
I have a situation on a somewhat similar line, my recruiter is asking for every document for when I went to the doctor. I have had two doctors for the majority of my life, both have retired. The doctor I go to now I have been to about once or twice for a z-pack. My questions are where do I find the records he needs? And does he also want dermatologist, dental, psychologist, FAA medical visits... etc. ?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Ask your recruiter what he needs. He and MEPS will likely want all your records. If those are unobtainable, your current doctor may be able to write a synopsis based on your current conditions.

bluesig1

sure thing
None
When I went to MEPS everyone told me that if I am not having problems with anything(such as asthma, etc.) then don't bother putting it down, it complicates matters. This of course is the exact opposite of what the MEPS staff let everyone know.

Airborne502nd

Feddoc,

What if you are asked for records of a condition or surgery I had earlier in live like 2 years old, but now the doctor I had is not practicing anymore and they only kept the record for 7 years, which would have been up to 10 or 11 years ago. What would you do then for records or documentation then?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I don't think there is anything you could do. Sorta the same thing happened to me...I broke my wrist when I was 12--medical records were long gone.

It might be a good idea to get an appointment with your current doc, have them exam you for the conditions you mentioned above, make note of your current status, and see if that will make NOMI happy. Seems redundant, but, it takes a load off NOMI and makes their job easier.

Airborne502nd

I don't think there is anything you could do. Sorta the same thing happened to me...I broke my wrist when I was 12--medical records were long gone.

It might be a good idea to get an appointment with your current doc, have them exam you for the conditions you mentioned above, make note of your current status, and see if that will make NOMI happy. Seems redundant, but, it takes a load off NOMI and makes their job easier.

Thank you for the info.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I went to MEPS everyone told me that if I am not having problems with anything(such as asthma, etc.) then don't bother putting it down, it complicates matters. This of course is the exact opposite of what the MEPS staff let everyone know.

Understatement of the year. This seems to be a common dilemma and the two opposite poles of either:
1) no problemo, don't bother to list it
2) list anything you ever saw a Doc about
Some things are undeniably no-brainers like breaking bones, large identifying scars, etc. but if you listen to what the good Doc recommends and don't volunteer too much info...like you said...it complicates matters