• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medical Question

eyzondapryz

so this question goes out to anyone and everyone who may have insight on my particular dilemma. I am applying to OCS out of college and started the process about 4 months ago. I did ok on the ASTB-55 5/4/4 (I would have liked to scored higher in the aviation categories). I have a 3.46 GPA from a "soft" degree (i.e. Human Development :sleep_125) I did well on the PRT, my overall score was outstanding medium. However, when I went through my medical I encounted an unwelcome surprise. I was told I had a heart murmur (which I've come to discover is quite common). They put me through more tests and found out I had a very minor leak in my aorta. (i.e. "aortic regurgitation"). My recruiter couldn't give me much information on the implications such a condition would have on my selection to OCS. I applied for SWO, NFO and PILOT and he told me I would encounter "medical headaches" if I got a prof recom'd for aviation. What does that mean? Although flying would be the most desirable position, I am ok with other jobs. My motivation and drive lies in the desire to be a Naval Officer period. Does anyone know if this medical problem is going to get in the way of me recieving a commission? What can I expect, is there other ways for me to make things happen with my medical situation? Any feedback I get would be great! Thanks

eyzondapryz

no I don't have an ICD code, my recruiter didn't give me much information, all he said was the condition could be a medical disqualification but he was sending off my application anyways. He said it would be determined during the board or during some point in that process whether or not I was DQ'd. I did read that information though and it's good to have that resource. Thank You! I did have my personal medical doctor review the information from the echo and he told me it was very minor and my heart, valves, etc look fine. Would my recruiter put my application through the process if I couldn't get a waiver? Would he know prior to sending it off?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
no I don't have an ICD code, my recruiter didn't give me much information, all he said was the condition could be a medical disqualification but he was sending off my application anyways. He said it would be determined during the board or during some point in that process whether or not I was DQ'd. I did read that information though and it's good to have that resource. Thank You! I did have my personal medical doctor review the information from the echo and he told me it was very minor and my heart, valves, etc look fine.

Would my recruiter put my application through the process if I couldn't get a waiver? Would he know prior to sending it off?

I can't answer your last two questions, but, I suspect your recruiter would not have put in your application unless he had a reasonable expectation of success.

Is what your own doctor said in writing and is it in your medical record?

eyzondapryz

what my doctor said to me was via the phone and I don't suspect it is in writing, he reviewed the info from meps so I'm not sure if it's in my medical file. My recruiter did suggest I get a second opinion and my doctor suggested I go see a cardiologist, the only problem is I don't have insurance so monetary means are minimal. If I do go see a cardiologist and he says I'm good to go, does his opinion hold any water?